Scary Bear Grylls dulfersitz rappel off a kamikaze knot...

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...

Scary Bear Grylls dulfersitz rappel off a kamikaze knot...

Postby Jay » Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 am

Probably not the safest video of a rappel I've seen today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZVzY-_O4Q#t=2m10
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields
Jay
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby DriskellHR » Mon May 03, 2010 12:30 pm

thats friggin great!

We were training for "fast roping" out of black hawk's and my buddy got his crotch too close to the rope (its like a 3" dia poly pro rope) and got 2nd degree burns on his nuts...... he walked funny for a week.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
DriskellHR
choking on it

Postby ahab » Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 pm

i don't know how, but i'm sure that this is tied back to the grigri vs. atc argument.

we should turn jay's thread into a heated discussion of the pros & cons of each, all the while calling proponets of the other, whichever it may be, retards for not seeing the error of their belaying ways.
buy the Ticket take the Ride
ahab
Star Trek Kid

Postby Jay » Mon May 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Fuck you, Ahab.

I you're gonna hijack this thread, do it proper, and tell people to stop bringing climbers to the god damn Daniel Boone National Dog Park!
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields
Jay
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby ahab » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm

easy there, kemosabe...
how's this?

it's because it's fake. SAR was standing by outside of the frame.

with a grigri.

which happens to be a better belay device than an atc.
buy the Ticket take the Ride
ahab
Star Trek Kid

Postby jordancolburn » Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm

That would take some balls.
jordancolburn
Poser
Poser

Postby Xtant » Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

I've never heard it called a kamikaze knot. Sheep shank. It's a good knot to know. It can also be used to isolate part of a damaged rope.
Sure is a lot of fun while you're doing it...
Xtant
Gumby
Gumby

Postby ynp1 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

ahab, i agree. I had a friend help shoot and rig for him when he was in the High Sierra. He said it was totally fake, and the wild horse he tried to ride was released from a trailer... I think he is going to get somebody killed...

end everybody gets pissed when someone talks about free soloing...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
ynp1
still a dumbass

Postby truello » Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am

I don't have access to YouTube at work but there's a hilarious video of him navigating over a crevasse in Hawaii, that is debunked in the 2nd half of the video by someone else.
truello
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Jay » Tue May 04, 2010 12:52 pm

I have no doubt that the cameraman was rapping on a modern line with a grigri, petzl stop, or something similar. It's not entirely clear due to editing whether he is actually committing to using the knot the way he claims to be, but it wouldn't really surprise me either way. Anyone who is willing to eat raw scorpions probably has more than a few screws loose. What is obvious is that he's doing a near free-hanging rappel on only a dulfersitz, with no backup, which in itself is a bit on the dangerous side of things.

As for his "kamikaze" knot, yes, it's a sheepshank with the central line chopped. In theory it might work, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet my life on it...
Jay
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby krampus » Tue May 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I agree with jay. I doubt he was rapping off of his sheep shank. But rap was still pretty bad ass.
There's stuff you can change and stuff you can't. If you can change it and want to...try, the worst you can do is fail. If you can't change it and want to....well, you best make peace with it cus you can't change it.
krampus
Snake Charmer

Postby neuroshock » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Xtant wrote:I've never heard it called a kamikaze knot. Sheep shank. It's a good knot to know. It can also be used to isolate part of a damaged rope.

Just for the sake of my curiosity, why would someone use a sheep shank to isolate a damaged part of rope instead of using an alpine butterfly? Any advantages/disadvantages?
neuroshock
Tard

Postby Jay » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

neuroshock wrote:Just for the sake of my curiosity, why would someone use a sheep shank to isolate a damaged part of rope instead of using an alpine butterfly? Any advantages/disadvantages?

The sheepshank works well to isolate a longer section of damaged line, like if you had a 2-3 foot section that had been badly abraded. It also keeps the damaged section relatively parallel with the rest of the line, as opposed to an alpine butterfly, which will produce a giant loop. This can be especially important in sailing, where free hanging loops can equal death by drowning or hanging.
Jay
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby Rollo » Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

this guy is a fake that is gonna get a bunch of gumby's killed... i bet the "scorpions" he ate were "wax".
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.
Rollo
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby ynot » Tue May 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I don't think he faked climbing Everest. Even if the TV show is staged ,he's got bigger nads than the rest of us.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Next

Return to More climbing!