climber decks, kills dog?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.

climber decks, kills dog?

Postby sendit » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:43 am

Heard someone decked ~50 ft Sunday after blowing the second to last bolt on a route and landed on the belayers dog killing the dog instantly.
all you haters die slow.
sendit
Poser
Poser

Re: climber decks, kills dog?

Postby Saxman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:03 pm

From a person who was there and witnessed it. A large group was at Military with music playing, possibly loud enough to make communication between climber and belayer difficult. Climber was getting into the upper knee bar on Reliquary when he fell. The climber landed on the belayer's dog killing it instantly. The belayer was holding the gri gri in her right hand with fingers over the cam and said she didn't know how it could have happened. Worse, she said this was the third time it has happened to her. Things like this keep reminding me why I don't go to busy crags on the weekends.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Postby allah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:08 pm

that's so sad to hear about the dog.... is the climber okay?
allah
Went Down On It

Postby Climbingrocks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:15 pm

This is happening already! Being safe really doesn't seem that hard.

Was it a stereo or some flip flop wearing college douche bag with a guitar? Both are fucking awful and appearing more and more.

Poor dog.
Climbingrocks
Gumby
Gumby

Postby michaelarmand » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Maybe radios instead of dogs should be banned at some crags?

I don't want to make any sort of judgement about these folks or anyone else. But can we please leave our electronics in the car? Is it too much to get away Lady Gaga and Facebook for a few hours?

Maybe at Rocktoberfest we can have an "educational" distracted belaying contest. We start with loud music, add a dog trying to eat food out of your pack, have people launch water baloons at the belayer...final challenge is the yellow jacket attack :evil: Drop the 150 lb dummy and you lose!
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Postby pkananen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm

The good news is that with every accident, climbers are becoming more educated. The bad news is that also means people (or dogs?) are getting hurt or killed.
pkananen
Poser
Poser

Postby tutugirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 pm

It could have been a child...
Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.
tutugirl
5.13 Granny

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 pm

or an adult. I was sitting on the ground while Art was climbing, he fell and I looked up and realized that if he would have not been caught I would have been crushed. How often do we sit under climbers.
Living the dream
Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Do we know that the people who were playing loud music were the people who had the accident. They could have been separate groups.
Living the dream
Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Postby captain static » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:05 pm

There will be a Leave No Trace aspect of Rocktoberfest. Please note the second to the last LNT climbing guideline.

USFS/Daniel Boone National Forest - Guidelines for Low Impact Climbing wrote:Plan ahead and prepare

■Find out what the local rules and regulations are before climbing.
■Intentionally disperse your activity by selecting more remote areas; avoid the most popular crags.
■Limit your group size to no more than 4-6 climbers.
■Know whose land you are climbing on and what rules govern the property.
■Camp and travel on durable surfaces. Follow established trails to reach the rock.
■Where no trails exist, spread out on durable ground, such as rock or gravel to avoid creating new paths.
■Choose a campsite at least 300 feet from water, trails, clifflines, and rock shelters.
■Do not camp under rock shelters or at the base of climbs.
Pack It In, Pack It Out
■Please pick up trash when you find it. All food wastes, including fruit cores and peels, should be carried out.
■Discarded tape and cigarette butts are unsightly. Bring a small plastic bag in your pack for trash and pack it out.
■Properly dispose of what you can't pack out. Use toilets where available.
■If toilets aren’t available, urinate away from vegetation, climbing routes, streams and trails.
■Dispose of solid human waste in a "cathole" at least 200 feet away from trails, the bases of climbs, water sources, or campsites; carry your own trowel for this reason.
■Pack out your toilet paper in resealable plastic bags. Leave what you find.
■Avoid trampling vegetation at bases of climbs and clifflines.
■Avoid disturbance to all living things on cliffs (plants, lizards, salamanders, snakes, pack rats, bats, or nesting birds).
■Do not cut, prune, or remove trees, shrubs, or vegetation to improve a climb.
■Cliff bases have been the sites of occupation by humans for centuries. Do not dig or collect artifacts. Archaeological sites are protected by Federal law.
Minimize use and impact of fires
■Fire rings and pits at the base of any cliff are unacceptable. Campfires contaminate cultural resource sites, making carbon-14 dating inaccurate.
■Use a stove instead of a fire for cooking.
Minimize climbing impacts
■Chipping or creating new holds is not acceptable.
■Use removable protection and natural anchors wherever practical.
All new fixed anchor and bolt installation must receive prior approval of the Cumberland District Ranger.
■Motorized drills are prohibited in the Clifty Wilderness area.
■Use slings when rappelling from trees instead of rappelling with ropes directly around the tree trunk. Choose natural colors for slings if slings must be left behind.
■Minimize chalk use and clean chalk off where you climb. Help out on local chalk clean-up days.
■Remember you are in the forest, not in a gym; keep the noise level within reason--from the volume of your stereo to the words you let fly when you fail on that red-point attempt.
■Keep your dog restrained on at least a 6-foot leash.

Author: Recreation Staff
Last Updated: December 22, 2008
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
captain static
Hippifried

Postby milspecmark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

That is unfortunate. I would be interested to know more about how the gri gri failed.
milspecmark
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby jrathfon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Perhaps there should actually be a serious message, presented in some entertaining yet serious way about the common themes in the red this year:

1. Belaying safety
2. Crag etiquette
3. How to poop (or rather how NOT to poop on a trail or under a climb)
4. Fixed equipment and wear (aluminum biners, rings, webbing, etc)

Video presentation? A skit between high profile things (music, movie) Saturday night at Rocktoberfest? Or more serious: a moment of silence?
jrathfon
Gumby
Gumby

Postby rastaman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm

I was belaying a climber on Tissue Tiger when this accident happened. I was with my wife, daughter, friend and his daughter. We were not with the with the climber who fell. There were 7-8 other people around the base of the twelve wall not including us. It was my impression that they were all together (so Andrew, I do believe the people playing the music were with the climber that fell). Saxman nailed the jist of the accident. I'll state what I saw. One of the climbers involved in the accident is welcome to confirm or deny my observations. I was getting ready to lower my climber from Tissue and saw the climber on Reliquary falling out of the corner of my eye. I looked over just in time to see him hit the ground. He fell near the last bolt (bolt at the last good kneebar?). He hit feet first collapsed to the ground. I then glanced at the belayer...it appeared she had her right hand over the gri preventing it from locking. I didn't see the gri-gri myself, but heard someone state that it was fed properly. From what I observed, I believe that the reason for the groundfall was belayer negligence. I'm sorry if the belayer reads this and is offended and again, if I am wrong, please speak up. I initially planned to keep my comments to myself, but believe this can be a learning experience for everyone. Pay attention people! Climbing is real! I don't enjoy music at the crag, but it shouldn't matter. Crags are becoming more crowded and distractions occur. Music, dogs, kids, cats, bears, what the fuck ever...pay attention to the cllimber! Their life is in your hands! And don't pick up a belay device if you don't have proper training. Experienced climbers make sure your belayer knows what they are doing. All this stuff has been said many times, but it can't hurt to say it again.

When we left the climber was sitting up, conducting conscious conversation and appeared to be okay. I hope he is. RIP little dog.
be
rastaman
Gumby
Gumby

Postby DHB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Hard to imagine someone climbing 12s wouldn't know how to operate a grigri. Then again, you don't have to climb well (or at all) to belay.
DHB
Gumby
Gumby

Postby bcombs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm

No shortage of people in gyms who boulder exponentially harder than what it takes to climb 5.12 at the Red. It doesn't mean they are aware of the requisite skills to sport climb outside.
bcombs
Generic Jerry

Next

Return to Sport