Putty Nutz

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?

Putty Nutz

Postby Saxman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm

April fools or coolest new technology in climbing gear?

http://camp-usa.com/module/product/detail.asp?ID=313
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Postby Saxman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Went to the d30 website. Apparently, the world of impact materials is about to change:

http://www.d3o.com/products.php?section=4

http://www.d3o.com/index2.php?section=21-tech
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Postby Josephine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 am

Putty Nutz work like bashies, only you can mold them with your hands to the crack. Place Putty Nutz in any fissure, and when they are impact-loaded, the molecules in the d30 lock together to create a completely solid mass that is strong enough to withstand over 10kN forces. Interestingly, because the material touches all sides of the crack, the impact force is spread much more evenly at all points of contact -- meaning the rock is less likely to break upon impact. Their applications to big-wall aid climbing, and dicey free-climbing pro are numerable.

sounds pretty neat. although i have a hard enough time getting some of the nuts out as is, so i wonder if they fit perfectly with the crack and you fall on them and they harden - will you be able to get them out?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Postby KD » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 am

i think the name is funny! "putty nuts" lol you get it? like putty and nuts. thats funny! Poopie nuts would be funny too. Or, monkey nuts! Monkeys are funny!
KD
Pooparazzo

Postby whatahutch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:35 am

That is wild shit. It will be cool if it works. What holds the putty to the cable though. I mean, what is going to prevent you from rolling the putty "off" (if that is possible) with just slow pressure or movement? Say just waiting the rope compared to a whipper.
I would have to see this product, with my own eyes, put through a stiff regement of test before I would even consider buying it myself.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
whatahutch
Werking on Mastahs degwee

Postby DriskellHR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 am

whatahutch wrote:.
I would have to see this product, with my own eyes, put through a stiff regement of test before I would even consider buying it myself.

Yeah I doubt CAMP or the UIAA does any kinda strengent test on climbing equipment. You'd be best off evaluating them yourself. after all what do they know? dumb Engineers......
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
DriskellHR
choking on it

Postby dhoyne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:13 am

From what I've heard of this material, it only hardens under large stress loads. So when you go to clean it, it will be putty again. Pretty cool stuff, although you'd probably only be able to use it a few times then throw it away.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

Meadows wrote:I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.
dhoyne
Star Trek Kid

Postby overhung » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 am

Imagine the anxiety of fallilng on putty for the first time.
I've had just about enough of this shit.
overhung
Masochist

Postby Crankmas » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 am

wonder if it will have birth control applications?
Crankmas
Fred Garvin, male prostitute

Postby bcombs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 am

Crankmas wrote:wonder if it will have birth control applications?

If your load generates enough force to cause d30 to engage you might want to consider a little hand release prior to the activity. :lol:
bcombs
Generic Jerry

Postby FujManiac » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 am

weird, but definitely cool!
FujManiac
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Saxman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:12 am

I like the applications for clothing and hats. Soft until you hit something. Not only does it harden, but the act of hardening absorbs energy, lessening the impact force. "Smart" materials like this will be the future of clothing and gear.
Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Postby KD » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 am

think of the old guy applications!
KD
Pooparazzo

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 am

I've got some Silly Putty, a cable swagger, the comics page, and I'm headin' to the Garage right now. Who wants to do some trad climbing with me this weekend?
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
Steve
Emmy Winner

Postby B.J. » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am

Crankmas wrote:wonder if it will have birth control applications?

So Superman could sow his wild oats?
B.J.
Gumby
Gumby

Next

Return to Trad