road to motherlode

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:38 pm

imo paving that hill will never and prob should never happen.

with the conditions that hill sees you can build and maintain a gravel road easier.

just normal freeze thaw on the pavement around these hills creates potholes and problems that can if not built right be more maint than gravel ever thought of being.

now if you put the heavy equipment into the equation the paved road would not by any stretch be easy to maintain if not impossible without lots and lots of work to the existing cut and a good budget going into the future.

also, in most incliment weather i would rather take my chance on rock than pavement.

who knows how it will play out but with a little work to get the road back in shape and some work on it monthly to keep it up, its a good road that does what it needs to.

now calling or getting in touch with a judge exec for regular maint of that road could be a route worth pursuing.

my guess is it will be touched on this weekend at the meeting.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 pm

You're probably right, to pave a hill like that right and maintain it must be hellaciously expensive. Funny the asphalt on the big hills down to Solar/Dark Side and Sky Bridge are in such mint condition though. Anyway... well beyond my area of expertise.

I love the idea of legit parking at the top of the hill someplace. It would help a lot with dispersing parking issues in the other lots AND let people hike into the crags if they need to without potentially getting stuck, messing up their cars and/or annoying everyone else (Triad included) with multiple rut-generating attempts to get up the hill at the end of the day.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm

im not saying its not possible, just unlikely. the road you are talking about has year round locals living down there. my guess is that had something to do with the road getting the budget to build the road correclty for asphalt.

i will admit, my exp is with gravel, not asphalt so i may be 100% wrong. it could be easy and cheap to put in and easy to maintain for years.

but im guessing to get the motherload hill to the point it could hold asphalt and the heavy equipment going in and out would be very pricey, esp for counties like lee.

lee and other counties around us have trouble keeping their ambulance service going and their schools operating. i just dont see them pulling the monies needed to help a bunch of hippies get down a hill to go play.

im not trying to argue, just trying to get people to think about how we can fix the problem with the tools we have in our box. a true parking area up top is an idea worth pursuing imo.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:32 pm

*edited for lack of content*
Last edited by Clevis Hitch on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 pm

an organization can lobby more weight than just a bunch of individuals clogging a phone board. now having said that, sure if meeting doesn't work then call the hell out of them to reinforce the point.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

I think RRO is closest to correct in his assessment of the road situation. And Jeff echoes my thoughts on the money being spent in Lee County (more like lack of).

I would think regular maintenance (the hill has been in great shape the last couple of years considering what it is) and a small parking lot at the top would take care of 99% of it.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Last edited by Clevis Hitch on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:17 pm

You're reading alot into it. Go to the meeting tomorrow and discuss it. Maybe you'll get a diferent perspective. Actual human interaction instead of intardweb stuff.

You don't go under your real name on here, you're initials wouldn't be J. H. Would they?
This is starting to remind me of a few years ago.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 pm

sure.
grassroot usually means little money(power), not serious(or serious enough) disorganized and more than likely to fall apart before too long.

a bunch of folks calling but with no "real" affiliation = disorganized, no real money(power), and not much of an influence/thorn.

now an organization, lets take the CC for example, comes into your office with the interest of you or them helping you to pave/maintain/improve/gondola/whatever a hill with no real need to be paved(i.e. nobody lives down there) so that there group members(money/power/numbers) who have been part of a group that is over ten years old and grown ten-fold(not disorganized...well not too much) might better access the area there by helping to bring more people into the area which will help stimulate the economy(at least a litt)

as jeff said and as is obvious, the money spent really only goes to a few buisness/people. but local money stays local so it does help those willing to work(which lets just say is a bigger issue for the area than some hill) also folks don't really visit that many places in wolf. the majority of the buisness climbers use are in powell co. C&S, koops, linda, purple cow, iga(b4 the fire and barely) might be the only spots used and once again not that often compared to locals. really, do you think most folks go into the knick-knack shops out that way?

as individuals you are free to call the # and state your case, thank you for the ability; is that what you wanted a thank you?. bill is just saying that a call from the bat phone or an actual meeting could be more effective per the CC agenda.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Last edited by Clevis Hitch on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

It doesn't really matter.

You might want to give Bill some time. I don't think he lives on here.
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Jesus people, the road is fine. We have been successfully using it for almost 20 years now. Sack up, and drive it.
Living the dream

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

for once andrew, i agree with you.

you still suck though.

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Andrew wrote:... the road is fine.
+2
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

pkananen
Poser
Poser

Post by pkananen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:55 pm

I agree, the road is fine. This is still a wilderness sport, so expecting an adventurous drive is fair game. I think parking up top would be nice, though.