No Dogs Allowed

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 am

I taught my dog to stop spraying ... on climbing packs. :|

Barnacle Ben
Poser
Poser

Post by Barnacle Ben » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 am

I don't mind that my dog sprays, it's that she eats cat poop that's a problem.
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham

allah
Went Down On It

Post by allah » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:10 pm

I just read the first post so sorry if I am saying something that someone else has already said. If the temp is cool enough who cares, alot of dogs look at the car as home, if they arent going to over heat or freeze to death then i feel they were fine in leaving there dogs in the car. I leave my dogs in the car all the time when there is no danger of over heating. To me it is no different leaving your dog at home while you are at work.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:02 pm

allah wrote:....If the temp is cool enough who cares, alot of dogs look at the car as home, if they arent going to over heat or freeze to death then i feel they were fine in leaving there dogs in the car......
true. the only difference is doing this where the land owner has asked you not to (in this case, Muir Valley). it's not really about what the dogs ask... it's what the landowner asks. if i owned a climbing preserve, i would let people store their dogs in their cars. until that day comes, i'll play by the rules.

gripster
panties in a wad

Post by gripster » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Unfortunately, a few individuals are either to irresponsible, stupid, or both to know when it is Ok to leave your dog shut up in a vehicle and when it's not. So inevitably, someone is going to show up and see the signs that say no dogs, leave there pooch in the car even though it is hot out, and the dog is going to end up dead. I believe the landowners in this case are just trying to protect people from their own stupidity by banning dogs all together. Then they will drive somewhere else to climb where they will almost certainly be able to bring their dog with them to the crag.

On a somewhat related note, I learned today that here in NC if you are climbing in a state park and you bring a dog with you, then you have to have a 3rd person with you to watch the dog while the other 2 are belaying/climbing. I am not sure if this applies to boulders and spotters in the same way or not, but the main area that is affected is Rumbling Bald. Are there any such rules in the National Forests of Kentucky?

Crankmas
Fred Garvin, male prostitute

Post by Crankmas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:30 pm

in Ky you just shoot em and hand a FED sign on em-

then take the dog to Wes

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 pm

state parks are very different from national forest. dogs roam free on the DBNF, assuming you have control over 'em

steep4me
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by steep4me » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Recent research indicates:
People who own dogs live longer and recover from illness more quickly than those who are petless. Talking to a dog or petting a dog lowers cortisol (stress hormone) and blood pressure for the human interacting with the dog. It also raises oxytocin and gives you a feeling of well-being. So...dogs help you send and enjoy your day more.
Unless....you are a stupid person who brings your dog to Muir when there is a no dog rule. :shock:
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:47 am

my little brother and sister are both korean so i have some good recipes. call me as needed.....
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress

steep4me
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by steep4me » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:20 pm

RRO wrote:my little brother and sister are both korean so i have some good recipes. call me as needed.....
I guess y'all will die young then, like all of the smokers. 8)

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 pm

people with dogs live longer and are healthier... okay... but this is correlation, not necessarily causation. it's probably just the intelligent, healthy folks who choose to be dog owners in the first place :lol: haha

steep4me
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by steep4me » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:08 am

Even if it is not causal, you can still use a correlation to predict outcomes. And yes, people who are better at relating, have high IQ's, and a positive outlook on life tend to like dogs. So...all of those things are correlated with longevity.

heidiramma
Tiny Avenger

Post by heidiramma » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Just finished my statistics homework for class. . .Wicked frustrating, but don't make me bust out correlations, 95% confidence intervals, and positive predictive values while it's fresh in my head . . . I'm trying to forget it for the rest of the weekend! :evil:
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:21 pm

heidiramma wrote:Just finished my statistics homework for class. . .Wicked frustrating, but don't make me bust out correlations, 95% confidence intervals, and positive predictive values while it's fresh in my head . . . I'm trying to forget it for the rest of the weekend! :evil:
so correlated or not?

btw, I still find it hard to believe anyone would leave a dog in a vehicle. leave em at home if you can't take em on the trails with you.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

heidiramma
Tiny Avenger

Post by heidiramma » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Hold on, let me get my calculator. .
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis