RRG guidebook coming to your iPhone

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Jay
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 am

ahab wrote: i think the dare was directed towards michaelarmani, which makes all the difference.
he couldn't find tower.
Yup.

Tower has both a trail and a sign.

WOD at least has a trail.

Dunkan don't have shit except for mad rhodos...
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields

michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Post by michaelarmand » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:08 am

ahab wrote:
pawilkes wrote:
Jay wrote:Wall of Denial...

Humph...

I triple dog dare you to try and find Dunkan rock in the summer with no GPS...
We found it in June, strolled up just under Frenchburg Overhangs on our first time up there. so what do I get for surviving a triple dog dare? a tripple dipped ice cream?
i think the dare was directed towards michaelarmani, which makes all the difference.
he couldn't find tower.
As for the Dunkan rock dare - been there, tried that, and failed miserably. We actually pretty much gave up when we realized there was no trail. As for Tower rock, mock all you want - I wasn't alone. There is a trail but we somehow got off of it and got to a cliff face but ending up bushwacking through a mile of cliffline finding no climbs before giving up.
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 pm

don't feel bad. i had been there before and couldn't find it. not once, but twice.
dunkan that is. tower might as well have a paved sidewalk up to the wall. :twisted:
buy the Ticket take the Ride

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Jeff,

No, I didn't design the app. A couple of guys got in touch with me asking if I'd like to do an app. Actually two different people contacted me. One of them had videos of their app in action (for another crag) and they were really cool. They wanted to approach it commercially so I told them I couldn't do it (don't want to step on Dave's toes). So later on I was talking with Dave and he said he was interested in an iPhone app. So I told him I had just the guys for him and they hooked up and went at it. I'll be getting GPS points and giving some input to the design but most of it is out of my hands. I mean, it's gonna be my guidebook that's melded into the app but I'm not doing any of the programming or anything like that.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

L K Day
Olds Cool

Post by L K Day » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

pawilkes wrote:
Jay wrote:Wall of Denial...

Humph...

I triple dog dare you to try and find Dunkan rock in the summer with no GPS...
We found it in June, strolled up just under Frenchburg Overhangs on our first time up there. so what do I get for surviving a triple dog dare? a tripple dipped ice cream?
What? You can't see Dunkan rock from the road anymore? Have the trees grown that much? We used to just drive up the road, going real slow until we saw the rock from the one spot on the road that you can see it from. Always bushwacked our way straight to it.
Last edited by L K Day on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Looking forward to checking it out Ray. Hope you get a good cut for all your work.
Larry, you can see Dunkan Rock when the leaves are down. Maybe with leaves on if you know just where to look. Looks like I was there in the month of April so not much growth then.
Those trees must grow fast.

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

igumby?

if you have mobile interenet access (most new phones), what's the app for?

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

clif wrote:igumby?

if you have mobile interenet access (most new phones), what's the app for?
its probably cheaper and if its designed specifically for the iPhone, it'll be more user friendly
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

bentley
The Man

Post by bentley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am

This is one of the nicest apps I have seen! If I remember correctly you do not have to have phone service for the app to function, all of the data is downloaded to your phone when you purchase the app.

Since the location element is based on GPS points, you also do not need phone service.

Can't wait for this to be available! Should be late spring I believe.
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!

Boonda
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Boonda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Very cool, but there's something nice about a ripped up, mangled guidebook you bring everywhere with you.
Wanna have an adventure?

Steve
Emmy Winner

Post by Steve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 pm

So gone are the days of walking up to Sunshine and Moonbeam and asking if you are at Military Wall?
Ahhh the times they're a changin'.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 pm

That still happens all the time.

Uhmmm, is this FunkRock?