Snow and spring break?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
sstephns
Gumby
Gumby

Snow and spring break?

Post by sstephns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey I'm new on the forum, but have been to the Red a bunch of times.

I was wondering how much snow is out there right now and if ya'll think there's any chance it'll be melted by the first weekend in March? Anyone got a clue?

I checked weather from January and February so far and it looks like there's been 20+ inches fallen.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

there's a lot of snow out there right now, but it melts quickly with sun. 2 days of sun would melt everything we've got

heavyc
Gumby
Gumby

snow

Post by heavyc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 pm

sstephns
Gumby
Gumby

Post by sstephns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

I looked at that, that's where I got the 20+ inches between now and the beginning of January. Thanks for the help. Hopefully we get a couple good warm days that melt it all and I can get out and climb.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Its about 8-10 inches right now. The wind has been blowing and its starting to drift. There is ice hanging from everything. Walking under the cliffs is hazardous. On days that there is no sun its too cold to climb. On days that there is sun, the ice starts melting and crashes all around. I've climbed this year in the single digits when the sun was out (not as much ice). Not any more! Too dangerous!
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

The Pirate
Gumby
Gumby

Post by The Pirate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:46 pm

We are knee deep in snow right now (11''). The forcast for the next week is below freezing all week...This is the most snow I have seen here in forever...good luck with the climbing...
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains...You're lucky enough...

aaronkupferer
Hoochie

Post by aaronkupferer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

does anyone know if the the Nada tunnel road is clear right now (getting out toward Military/Left Flank area)?

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

clear? clear for a snowplow? or clear for a honda?

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:35 am

They started getting the secondary roads clean this afternoon. The roads were jacked most of the day. Even if you got to military you would have to have a four wheel drive to get in and out of the parking lot. Theres about a two foot wall of solid snow thats been swept off of the road by the plow trucks. I had to put my truck into four wheel just to get out of the driveway.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am

Is it just me or am I the only one in Kentucky who knows how to drive in the snow
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

heidiramma
Tiny Avenger

Post by heidiramma » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

krampus wrote:Is it just me or am I the only one in Kentucky who knows how to drive in the snow
definitely in our part of town at least!
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Driving around here is a little bit different than tooling around on city streets or even going down the wide open highway. All of these roads are curvy. The road has some serious tilt to it so that water will run off. You can run off the road down here and drop straight off a hundred foot cliff. There are several places on the road I live on that have sheer unprotected cliffs immediately off of the road. I always tell people where I'm going and when I expect to arrive/return.

As far as coming down here right now. You'd have to have 4wheel to park. Roadside parking is under a foot of snow and there is that snow plow wall built up on the side. Thats not to mention the incredible amount of ice on the walls.

Woke up this morning to a fresh 3 inches of powder on the roads. They had it cleared up by noon. There were still slick spots this evening. I think we're supposed to get more snow tonight.

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am

we went to the left end of roadside on sunday and climbed fadda, 5-finger & hard left. it's worth it just to check out the ice world. all the giant boulders are covered in about 3 inches of ice. monsterous ice chandeliers are lined up all the way across the top. pretty spectacular.
buy the Ticket take the Ride

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids

Post by Brentucky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 pm

ahab wrote:monsterous death'cicles are lined up all the way across the top. pretty spectacular.
stay away from those things kiddos
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 pm

brent, don't be a wuss. the climber is out of the fall zone, s'all good. it's your belayer that will die in the event that one of those death'cicles falls...

so, be sure your belayer uses a gri gri kiddos
buy the Ticket take the Ride