Roadside Trash

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Re: Roadside Trash

Post by Meadows » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 am

There's a path here in Lexington where I walk my dogs, and it's maintained by Parks and Rec. There was a trash can on this path that was consistently overflowing so it was removed. Even after it was removed, people would still throw their trash down where the can once was, especially bagged dog poo (now that one doesn't make sense).

Blame climbers all you want, but it's people in general.

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

Sounds about like my cats. Move the litter box and they will still pee and poop in the old spot. Anyone want some cats?

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

we do blame climbers because like it or not, 90% of the traffic at the roadside parking is climbers...same way I would blame dog walkers where you walk your dog...it is not that climbers are better or worse than other populations..they just like to think they are.

shoot, I showed up at a new cliff yesterday where I had bolted a route the week prior, and sco bro found litter already...I lit into "climbers"until I realized it was my crap from the week before.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

If you see a camo beer can out in the woods...its probably mine. I lost one about a week ago and haven't been able to remember where I left it. If you find it please return it to 250 Hwy 1036 in Zachariah.Thanks-Joe
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

stereotypes=truth...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

dollyjn
Gumby
Gumby

Post by dollyjn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Perhaps a new campaign to re-educate or educate folks to pick up after themselves and leave no trace in a more creative way.
If there is a simple message sent to each person you or I know reminding them to pack it out and dispose of properly, and/or word of mouth goes a long way.
Proper back country technique on burying would work even in a high volume area.
This will allow all of us to enjoy the area. : )

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm

"Burying"? Please don't bury your garbage in the backcountry.

dollyjn
Gumby
Gumby

Post by dollyjn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I apologize, I assumed all were on the same page with regard to backcountry etiquette. I was not speaking of trash burying.
BTW - I don't dump anything in the gorge, I can wait and dispose of it properly in the proper receptacle. With regard to 'trash' if the garbage can is full,folks should keep on carrying the trash 'til they can get it to an appropriate container.
Thanks

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:31 pm

why don't climbers throw their trash in the floor of their car like normal people?
haunted.

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:05 pm

tbwilsonky wrote:why don't climbers throw their trash in the floor of their car like normal people?
Because it isn't their car. It belongs to their one buddy who has a job and is willing to belay them. :)

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:08 pm

bcombs wrote:
tbwilsonky wrote:why don't climbers throw their trash in the floor of their car like normal people?
Because it isn't their car. It belongs to their one buddy who has a job and is willing to belay them. :)
maybe we should see if the federal gov't will start giving climbers free cars to deal with this escalating trash problem? :)
haunted.

louisville_climber
Gumby
Gumby

Post by louisville_climber » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 am

dollyjn wrote:Proper back country technique on burying would work even in a high volume area.
This will allow all of us to enjoy the area. : )
Bury your shit, not your trash.

Thanks for picking it up, Chad. It's much appreciated.
"because it's there." -George Leigh Mallory

dollyjn
Gumby
Gumby

Post by dollyjn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:16 am

dollyjn wrote:I apologize, I assumed all were on the same page with regard to backcountry etiquette. I was not speaking of trash burying.
BTW - I don't dump anything in the gorge, I can wait and dispose of it properly in the proper receptacle. With regard to 'trash' if the garbage can is full,folks should keep on carrying the trash 'til they can get it to an appropriate container.
Thanks

Silk
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Silk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 am

My partner did on our last trip, it was a fascinating "archeology dig" of our poor nutrition habits.

Thanks for picking it up, random dood. We remarked on the mess when we arrived but didn't do anything about it....lame