Hope its not true

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
One-Fall
Good Egg

Hope its not true

Post by One-Fall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 am

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59419

Rich is super talented. I hope this ends up being like when Fred Nicole was called out for maybe not sending that v10 in Yosemite, and Fred wouldn't repeat it for the masses. People doubted Fred till he ushered in the next 5 V grades.

Hope its like that.
Can't we all just get along?

SCIN
BANNED

Re: Hope its not true

Post by SCIN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 am

As I get older, peer recognition becomes less important and I find it strange what people do for it. I think that men who go to great accomplishments to get high-fives from their bros have severe self esteem issues and are slightly homosexual. I can't think of any other reason why someone would lie about their accomplishments. Is it really that important to be liked? What does being liked get you in life if you're self sufficient and need nothing else? I know of a climber who absolutely crushes things and the ONLY way I ever hear of it is through the person that was belaying him that day. I wish I was that much of a man.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:04 am

SCIN wrote:As I get older, peer recognition becomes less important and I find it strange what people do for it. I think that men who go to great accomplishments to get high-fives from their bros have severe self esteem issues and are slightly homosexual. I can't think of any other reason why someone would lie about their accomplishments.
Ha ha good point Ray... tho in this case he had the additional incentive of whatever sad sustenance climbing sponsorship brings you these days... also slightly homosexual.

aburgoon
Gumby
Gumby

Post by aburgoon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 am

In all fairness, if someone asked me to verify my sends, I'd tell them to go shove it too.

JR
Official Route Quality and Grade Accuracy Analyst

Post by JR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 am

Ok SCIN. From your post, I gather that a braggart or liar is at least 1/2 ghey and Mr. Humble is all man. And you fall in between, so....

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 am

this situation is a bit different than just simple spray. if he lied about all of it (boxing, running, mountaineering, climbing), the scale of his lies is almost pathological.
haunted.

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am

Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

JR
Official Route Quality and Grade Accuracy Analyst

Post by JR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

http://upskillclimbing.blogspot.com/200 ... ction.html

This video doesn't prove or disprove his claim. But it does show that it was at least possible for him to climb at that level.

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 am

aburgoon wrote:In all fairness, if someone asked me to verify my sends, I'd tell them to go shove it too.
Can you please verify your sends, And-gay?

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am

dustonian wrote:
SCIN wrote:As I get older, peer recognition becomes less important and I find it strange what people do for it. I think that men who go to great accomplishments to get high-fives from their bros have severe self esteem issues and are slightly homosexual. I can't think of any other reason why someone would lie about their accomplishments.
Ha ha good point Ray... tho in this case he had the additional incentive of whatever sad sustenance climbing sponsorship brings you these days... also slightly homosexual.
Do you think someone would really lie about their accomplishments for sponsorship? I really think people lie about that stuff for high-fives and fist bumps. Gheyness.

-Horatio

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 am

JR wrote: This video doesn't prove or disprove his claim. But it does show that it was at least possible for him to climb at that level.
there were three items which - according to the LONG ASS UKC thread - Simpson supporters cited in support of his claims. the Action Directe video, the Perky Pinky Schoolroom video (mega-classic climbing pron), and that Rich was studying for a PhD at Cambridge. i'm not sure how top-tier academia figures into athletic prowess, but the other two seemed pretty substantial... for me, at least.

but according to the fine forums fellows "hundreds of people" can do video links of Action Directe, and doing links is never the same as clipping chains. using their keen investigative skills, the forum goers went on to speculate that Rich may have decided he was 'close enough' to take credit; how many one-hangs does it take to go ahead and tick it off?
haunted.

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 pm

If I send something that was tough for me, I go the opposite route and say something like "man I fell twice up there"

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Do you think someone would really lie about their accomplishments for sponsorship? I really think people lie about that stuff for high-fives and fist bumps. Gheyness.[/quote]

I disagree, ray. Rich was/is a bad ass ,and Im totally guessing, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if he was able to make a living with his sponsorships. I could see someone thinking, "If i don't send this, i lose the life im leading". That has to be a ton of pressure. When you or I are approaching the end of the season, and we don't pull off the send, it sucks, but is not really a big deal. We just come back next season and try again. If a pro doesn't send it, maybe they lose their sponsorship and have to get a real job.

Im still holding out that Rich is telling the truth and this is media drama.

yes, I go down with the ship a lot.
Can't we all just get along?

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Fair enough, makes sense. I do remember hearing about some tallies on what top climbers can earn and it was pretty substantial. I've heard of people doing silly things just to maintain their status. I hear that's why you'll see these guys going after extensions and link-ups of previous lines they've done quicker than new lines just because the grade is an easier bag that way. They have a quota to meet.

-Horatio

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:23 pm

tbwilsonky wrote:[ and that Rich was studying for a PhD at Cambridge. i'm not sure how top-tier academia figures into athletic prowess, but the other two seemed pretty substantial... for me, at least.
i've don't spend much time following the press and watching videos so have never heard of the guy. but from my view at the lower, marginal and tattered edges of academia, the place is ripe with nonsense and self gratifying gheyness. in a way, could fit the profile.

then again, he could be a total badass that sought out sponsorship for charitable reasons and sees providing proof as beneath his dignity.

which reminds me of all the sweet things my last boss said.
training is for people who care, i have a job.