The road to Sore Heel...

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Dhaulagiri
Gumby
Gumby

The road to Sore Heel...

Post by Dhaulagiri » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:09 pm

...is going to be a bit hard to reach due to the recent rains
IMG_1382.jpg
Fixer road heading from the Lode just before the turn up to Sore Heel
IMG_1382.jpg (122.66 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Re: The road to Sore Heel...

Post by climb2core » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Yeah, we ended parking there on sat and walking to drive by. A couple people dumbed the road...

Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Post by Rotarypwr345704 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:16 pm

I must commend you. I can hardly justify walking from the Sore Heel parking lot to climb at any of the Sore Heel climbing areas. Let alone parking that far away, walking to the parking lot, just to have to then walk to the crag. I'd just go somewhere else.
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Rotarypwr345704 wrote:I must commend you. I can hardly justify walking from the Sore Heel parking lot to climb at any of the Sore Heel climbing areas. Let alone parking that far away, walking to the parking lot, just to have to then walk to the crag. I'd just go somewhere else.
It was about 0.2 to 0.3 moles from the parking lot for drive by which is not the sore heel parking lot...

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

i was just saying last weekend that that part of the road was looking rough and would probably wash out soon
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I got stuck today in quick sand. I pulled over to the side to let someone by and sank to the door seams. Some dude in a diesel monster truck pulled me out. Thanks bro.
Living the dream

Eric Cox

Post by Eric Cox » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Did anyone happen to see if the foot/mountain bike bridge was still there? If so, it's just about as fast to walk the new short-cut trail to sore heel as it is to drive. Right now I'm sure it is.
I'm not sure how much parking there would be along that part of the road, by the bridge, but for the time being, this might be an option.

Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Post by Rotarypwr345704 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 pm

climb2core wrote:
Rotarypwr345704 wrote:I must commend you. I can hardly justify walking from the Sore Heel parking lot to climb at any of the Sore Heel climbing areas. Let alone parking that far away, walking to the parking lot, just to have to then walk to the crag. I'd just go somewhere else.
It was about 0.2 to 0.3 moles from the parking lot for drive by which is not the sore heel parking lot...
My bad, didn't actually see that you went to Drive By.
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.

EricDorsey
Gumby
Gumby

Post by EricDorsey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 am

Eric Cox wrote:Did anyone happen to see if the foot/mountain bike bridge was still there? If so, it's just about as fast to walk the new short-cut trail to sore heel as it is to drive. Right now I'm sure it is.
I'm not sure how much parking there would be along that part of the road, by the bridge, but for the time being, this might be an option.
foot bridge is there, def much faster and less elevation gain than following the road to the sore heel lot. Maybe 5 minutes.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 am

and cars were everywhere on the road.....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Dhaulagiri
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Dhaulagiri » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:36 am

pigsteak wrote:and cars were everywhere on the road.....
Yeah not the best place for that it wouldn't seem given the condition of the road. It's too bad there aren't any other places to climb in the Red...

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 am

Dhaulagiri wrote:
Yeah not the best place for that it wouldn't seem given the condition of the road. It's too bad there aren't any other places to climb in the Red...

Really don't think there was that much more impact... I was first there and parked. I would have had to drive to exactly the same location, back up the same way, turn around the way and then drive out. My car sitting on side of road for 8 hours had no more impact on the situation.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:10 am

props to Joshua Tree Dave & Rick Bost and crew for patching up the road with logs and rocks. It's not pretty and by no means permanent - but it did work well enough for most small cars. Hopefully the oil company will contact the county and get the road repaired correctly.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

tradotto
Gumby
Gumby

Post by tradotto » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 am

When we hiked out Sunday the rocks and sticks where so mushed down from the traffic that a lower car was going to bottom out. The mountain bike/ foot bridge route is the way to go.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

Dhaulagiri wrote:
lol....exaclty.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.