Approach shoes

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
KD
Pooparazzo

Re: Approach shoes

Post by KD » Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 am

The kind that look like feet are not only stylish but this dude wrote a trend book about these Africa people and how they run barefoot and why you shoud do that too. The best thing about the feet looking kind is that you will be trendy and look like you are wearing feet on your feet. AND you can say - with your eyes closed - "if you knew anything about natural running you'd have these on your feet." Kinda like owning a hybrid.
Last edited by KD on Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THB
Official Nerd Notes Expert

Post by THB » Sun May 20, 2012 12:53 pm

I read this book once by this guy about why it's an important ting to not type like a moron, and why you shoud not type like a moron too.

THB

Post by THB » Sun May 20, 2012 2:18 pm

KD, I'm just messing with you. You shouldn't take my last comment seriously. In all honesty though, it wouldn't hurt to take 30 secnds to go back through what you'v typed and proof read it before submiting.

Back to more serious matters... A friend of mine wears flip flops for approach shoes no matter where or when and in any conditions. I couldn't do this though, because I like to keep my feet as clean as possible throughout the day. I can't stand getting mud between my toes. This doesn't seem to bother him though, hell, he normally walks around the crag barefoot. I prefer the sportiva exum ridge no matter where or when and in any conditions. I just looked on their website though, and it seems that they've stopped making these, bummer for me! I once owned a pair of the five ten "five tennie" approach shoes. I'll never buy another pair of these. They are good for looking cool in Boulder and letting everyone know you are a climber (which is totally lame)... or they are good for running up an easy slab route on the flatirons. Funny thing though, I'd never wear these shoes for the approach to the flatirons, kind of ironic! The sole was super thin and you could feel every little pebble that you stepped on, every sharp pointy rock, I didn't like it. Maybe I'll look into the boulder x by la sportiva or one of the new trail runners that they are making for my next pair of approach shoes.

Anyways, good luck on your search for approach shoes!

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Sun May 20, 2012 3:57 pm

not sure but i think the only check KD needs is the books subject- maybe the Tarahurmara of northern Mexico ???
training is for people who care, i have a job.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Sun May 20, 2012 4:57 pm

The best approach shoes are Keen's. To be specific, the ones that Keen sold at Rocktoberfest in 2011 and in 2009. They were $50, waterproof, great traction on the bottom, and all $50 was given to the RRGCC. Now THAT is a great approach shoe. :-D
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

Steve_RRG
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Steve_RRG » Sun May 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Having owned about 10 different ones, just thought I would chime in. I agree with the recommendations on the La Sportiva Exums, but you can't get them any more. They have a new one called the Xplorer that looks about the same, but I haven't tried them yet. My choice for a heavy pack and longer approach is 5-10 Camp 4's. Good traction on the rock and good support. When I do trad, my pack is about 50 pounds with food water, etc. and these work quite well. Still, a lot of it is just what fits your feet.

Cramsie
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Cramsie » Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Water shoes.
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/p ... erralID=NA

You can totally wear these to climb too. Mega-legit.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Sun May 20, 2012 11:40 pm

I though the book was about those skinny little Kenyan fuckers. Still, it started the funniest trend it running I have ever seen - bunch of trendoids wearing feet-shoes - funny shit for sure.

vertical1
Poser
Poser

Post by vertical1 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 am

kneebar wrote:I never owned a pair when climbing in the red, not much need.
They do place the bolts pretty close...so you don't need a pair.

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Mon May 21, 2012 8:02 am

A pair of shoes that are comfortable to do some light hiking in are good. There is not a need for a specialized shoe to get to the crag. However you can get cool expensive shoes that will work well if you like.

I think approach shoes that have sticky rubber soles and rand are well suited for setting in the gym. They would also be good for approaches if the approach involves lots of scrambling up and down rock.

I currently wear new balance running shoes and feel very comfortable getting to, from, and around the crag.

kneebar
Closet Renaissance Hardman

Post by kneebar » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 am

I love it, ask a legitimate question and whole bunch of higher then thou, I've done it all, crawl up onto my environmental, save the world soapbox "climbers" give there opinions. Mostly other then just answering the question if they can. Well worth the entertainment value and exactly what was expected. :lol:

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

You're welcome, bud, I guess.

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 am

pigsteak wrote:ok just got to ask...when and where would flip flops ever be a good choice? the indoor gym?

I may be old but this is pure tomfoolery....
I have watched Andrew cover some serious terrain with Adidas flip flops on.

Shamis
bottom feeder

Post by Shamis » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 am

I haven't been able to find any decent approach shoes with good support (for flat feet). I do find most La Sportiva shoes to be pretty awesome though.

I did once do the descent from the top of Taquitz in flip flops. I wouldn't really recommend it though.

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am

bcombs wrote:
pigsteak wrote:ok just got to ask...when and where would flip flops ever be a good choice? the indoor gym?

I may be old but this is pure tomfoolery....
I have watched Andrew cover some serious terrain with Adidas flip flops on.

I was going to suggest this but figured that this thread was pointless. If money is a concern where whatever you have lying around... but if you have money to burn then go to an outdoor store and try on approach shoes until you find something you like. I thought everyone knew this.

p.s. Adidas flip flops are pretty good.
Living the dream