clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
User avatar
caribe
Archer Jerry
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: the 1980's
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by caribe » Thu May 31, 2012 1:08 pm

BTW: The biner with the crossload protection is not necessary. I am using a regular HMS and have been for about 5 MOs. Configuration: Climber's side of the device points up, just like ATC. If you put the climber's side down, the device is just as safe but handling is cumbersome. If you thread the device with the climber's side as the brake, all you have is an ATC without the locking feature.

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:04 pm
Location: The past ahead

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by Brentucky » Thu May 31, 2012 1:25 pm

caribe wrote:
Brentucky wrote: Also, it sounds like it might suck to catch people mostly hangdogging on TR.
Why? It locks . . . why should one locking device be any different belaying a hangdogger on TR or redpointing versus another? I have experienced no difference between Grigri and Clickukp when it comes to hangdoggers.
Like I said, I would like to try it again with a little more focus on the function because it does sound like it has lots of advantages in the simplicity... however, I was just thinking after it "engaged" that you had to physically push down on it or something to "disengage" it such that rope could run back through. If I am having to do a jump/take for your hang-dogging ass it seems like that could be difficult since it is probably going to relock itself after each time I jump and take up rope. If it is easy to unlock and will stay unlocked so I can do a jump/take then I guess there is no issue. Anyway, no real point in discussing it here, I will try it out again and see for myself. You just save your little typing fingers for somebody else's questions.

BTW, when are you going to be getting back out again so I can rub off the wrong way that Bram rubbed onto you?
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

User avatar
caribe
Archer Jerry
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: the 1980's
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by caribe » Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Brentucky wrote:I was just thinking after it "engaged" that you had to physically push down on it or something to "disengage" it such that rope could run back through. If I am having to do a jump/take for your hang-dogging ass it seems like that could be difficult since it is probably going to relock itself after each time I jump and take up rope.
Oh, I see what you are alluding to. For TR you keep the clickup in the locked position. The rope will run one way but not the other. To put a lead redpointer back on belay you have take the non-brake hand and push the device back into active belay mode. This is quite effortless.
Brentucky wrote:BTW, when are you going to be getting back out again so I can rub off the wrong way that Bram rubbed onto you?
Took a 3-week hiatus, bad back. I feel much better. Everything feels better, even the tendinitis.

GWG
Sport Rappeller
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 9:45 am

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by GWG » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:56 am

Only issue I've had with it is that it tends to lock too quickly when catching a fall on a steep lead. More difficult to give a soft catch thus increasing the risk of "sling shotting" the climber into the wall. Figure it's my inexperience of catching falling leaders with it since some of my climbing partners are never pushing themselves beyond the easier grades. hahaha

dustonian
BANNED
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by dustonian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 pm

All locking-assist devices lock abruptly like that and demand dynamic soft-catching skills from the belayer on steep routes. This is why the belayers use figure-8's in most climbing comps, to give the softest possible catch.

User avatar
pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Posts: 9684
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:49 pm
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by pigsteak » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

dustonian wrote:All locking-assist devices lock abruptly like that and demand dynamic soft-catching skills from the belayer on steep routes. This is why the belayers use figure-8's in most climbing comps, to give the softest possible catch.
I need to become a gym climber..I have never seen a figure 8 used to belay indoors. ever.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

dustonian
BANNED
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Location: Lex/Zoe

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by dustonian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 pm

You'd only see it in a big competition. Speaking of, for those stuck at a computer at work today, this is kinda cool...

http://ifsc.tv/

Wolf
Poser
Poser
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:14 pm
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by Wolf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 pm

kneebar wrote:You are like there poster child Caribe! :lol: How many other climbers out there have used one and what opinions do they have about it? Can it be used improperly?
Once again, here's my opinions on it: http://voices.yahoo.com/the-click-belay ... tml?cat=11

Of course it can be misused. It's just harder to misuse it than other locking-assist devices.
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html

Wolf
Poser
Poser
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:14 pm
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by Wolf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm

caribe wrote:BTW: The biner with the crossload protection is not necessary. I am using a regular HMS and have been for about 5 MOs. Configuration: Climber's side of the device points up, just like ATC. If you put the climber's side down, the device is just as safe but handling is cumbersome. If you thread the device with the climber's side as the brake, all you have is an ATC without the locking feature.
It's not necessary, but it's nice. What biner is that, Art?
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html

User avatar
caribe
Archer Jerry
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: the 1980's
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by caribe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Wolf wrote:What biner is that, Art?
Dano: I like a keeper with any belay method. This biner was the EDELRID HMS GALAXY BELAY CARABINER - A specialist carabiner with special additional gate providing more safety against unexpected twisting. An ideal carabiner for belaying.Weight: 112 gramsStrength: 23kNCE and UIAA Certified.
BTW: the Black Diamond gridlock HMS is too small.

The Edelrid HMS is half the price of the belay device.

Wolf
Poser
Poser
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:14 pm
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by Wolf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:03 pm

caribe wrote:
Wolf wrote:What biner is that, Art?
Dano: I like a keeper with any belay method. This biner was the EDELRID HMS GALAXY BELAY CARABINER - A specialist carabiner with special additional gate providing more safety against unexpected twisting. An ideal carabiner for belaying.Weight: 112 gramsStrength: 23kNCE and UIAA Certified.
BTW: the Black Diamond gridlock HMS is too small.

The Edelrid HMS is half the price of the belay device.
Yeah, gridlock definitely doesn't work.
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html

User avatar
Saxman
Poseur Jerry
Posts: 3127
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:10 pm
Location: Peru

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by Saxman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm

caribe wrote: - Tradotto: get em at J&H in Lexington
or $50 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Cypher-Click-Up-B ... 625&sr=8-3)
or (http://www.campsaver.com/click-up?gclid ... 4Aod6H6iWw)
I got mine from Liberty Mountain.
The 50 at Amazon ends up being 57 with shipping and the cheapest I can find online is $56 with shipping. I contacted Liberty and am going to place an order. I am going to order a few for the gym and will order extra for anyone who wants one in central Kentucky. You can pick it up at Bluegrass Bouldering or I will meet you in the Red. Let me know if you want one and I will make sure to order enough. $50
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:45 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by pawilkes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

I'm pretty jazzed about trying the Alpine Up. It's basically a Click Up with two slots so you can rappel on it and use the locking feature to stop mid-rappel. it combines the awesomeness of a ATC Guide and the locking mechanism of the Grigri while weighing somewhere between the two. not really necessary for the red but on longer routes out west I could see it getting lots of use.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

User avatar
caribe
Archer Jerry
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: the 1980's
Contact:

Re: clickup: 1.75 years of constant use

Post by caribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am

pawilkes wrote:I'm pretty jazzed about trying the Alpine Up. It's basically a Click Up with two slots so you can rappel on it and use the locking feature to stop mid-rappel. it combines the awesomeness of a ATC Guide and the locking mechanism of the Grigri while weighing somewhere between the two. not really necessary for the red but on longer routes out west I could see it getting lots of use.
Ha ha, I bought one. It arrived yesterday. I like what I see. I am going out tradding on Sunday. I can't wait to see what my partners think. It is pretty complex for something with no moving parts. It is intellectually tractable however, employing it will be straight forward. I messed around with it yesterday with a harness and a rope. This thing should ROCK with twin ropes! I am going to reserve my enthusiasm until I give it some trails and until I see what my partners think about it.

Post Reply