Family Friendly Bouldering

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
whatahutch
Werking on Mastahs degwee

Family Friendly Bouldering

Post by whatahutch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Where is the best family friendly bouldering area that is nearest to KY? I am training the next Sharma/Ondra in my garage and need to test his skills on real rock. He is two and can already send hard VO. We haven't tried V1 yet, but I can see it happening by the time he turns three in a month. My family will be setting new world records and I expect that DPM will want to know about this achievement.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder

whatahutch

Re: Family Friendly Bouldering

Post by whatahutch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Seriously though, I want to take my son bouldering this fall. What is the best area for a family to go to in the midwest or south? I need a bunch of super easy slabs, my son doesn't care for the overhanging stuff yet.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting on some quality moderates too.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Horse pens 40
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

whatahutch

Post by whatahutch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you, Josephine.

Satire, Satire.

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Every bouldering place in the SE is family friendly...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 am

Yeah, Horsepens for sure. Almost no hiking involved, so you can escape back to the car to eat mac & cheese at a moment's notice.

Femslalomskier
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Femslalomskier » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 pm

Little Rock City (Stone Fort)

jordancolburn
Poser
Poser

Post by jordancolburn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Depending on where you're coming from, it might be a bit closer than HP40 for you, but dixon springs in southern illinois is extremely family friendly. A lot of the boulders are immediately next to a playground the mini sharma can have fun on if rocks get too hard, with no approach, and there is a pool open in the summer to cool off from the heat with. Not a ton of different routes or beta available (like HP40 and the like), but some decent climbs, and super convenient.

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Shondra.
haunted.

doogievlg
Gumby
Gumby

Post by doogievlg » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I would go HP40, I have never been there but like someone said earlier I heard there is no approach. Stonefort has a pretty short approach but there is not a ton of easy routes.
I love jugs

Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Post by Rotarypwr345704 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm

[quote="whatahutch" I need a bunch of super easy slabs, my son doesn't care for the overhanging stuff yet.[/quote]

So what you're saying is that your son is already a trad daddy? :wink:
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.

whatahutch

Post by whatahutch » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 am

Thank you for the help with Dixon Springs. That actually sounds better than HP40. I have a three year old, which means low attention span. The ability to switch from climbing to the playground is a great draw. Is there a decent topo or mini-guide somewhere?

THB
Official Nerd Notes Expert
Official Nerd Notes Expert

Post by THB » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:25 pm

jordancolburn wrote:Not a ton of different routes or beta available (like HP40 and the like)
You know there is a full blown printed guide book for HP40, right? There are probably about 500 problems described in the book and it's almost 200 pages long... I'd say that's a good chunk of routes and plenty of beta available. Same thing goes for Rocktown and LRC.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 am

I agree with hp40. Close proxmity to camp and facilities that you need with kids, ease of access with padding if you have to carry everything yourself. Not to mention the great problems to be found all over within the grade you are wanting.

jordancolburn
Poser
Poser

Post by jordancolburn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 am

THB wrote: You know there is a full blown printed guide book for HP40, right? There are probably about 500 problems described in the book and it's almost 200 pages long... I'd say that's a good chunk of routes and plenty of beta available. Same thing goes for Rocktown and LRC.
Sorry, poor phrasing on my part, but yes, I've been planning a trip to Chattanooga soon and know that there are tons of guides for those areas (and you could basically watch every climb at those areas from multiple angles just by cruising youtube for a while). What I mean is that Dixon Springs has essentially no beta available (john gill used to climb there and wrote an article about it for climbing magazine way back when, but even he couldn't find an archived copy), but it might be worth looking into if you're out that way with younger kids and looking for no approach, good landings, with some other activities available too.