Nice Outside Online arcticle on Muir Valley

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
btbradley
Gumby
Gumby

Re: Nice Outside Online arcticle on Muir Valley

Post by btbradley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:26 pm

FOMV is pretty nebulous http://www.friendsofmuirvalley.org/ ...group of individual who pledge to contribute to the continued development and preservation of Muir Valley. That sounds like a whole lot of we do whatever the hell we want. And I'm okay with that because the Webers are awesome people, but I wouldn't expect someone who hasn't met them to feel the same way. In fact I think they shouldn't.

http://rrgcc.org/about-us/ Our mission is to ensure open, public access to ample, quality outdoor rock climbing opportunities to meet the needs of current and future climbers [in the Red]. Well, that sounds like something I support.

Maybe FOMV should say something like "Our goal is maintain and develop sustainable world class rock climbing in Muir Valley"...that sounds like something I also support.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm

btbradley wrote:FOMV is pretty nebulous http://www.friendsofmuirvalley.org/ ...group of individual who pledge to contribute to the continued development and preservation of Muir Valley. That sounds like a whole lot of we do whatever the hell we want. And I'm okay with that because the Webers are awesome people, but I wouldn't expect someone who hasn't met them to feel the same way. In fact I think they shouldn't.

http://rrgcc.org/about-us/ Our mission is to ensure open, public access to ample, quality outdoor rock climbing opportunities to meet the needs of current and future climbers [in the Red]. Well, that sounds like something I support.

Maybe FOMV should say something like "Our goal is maintain and develop sustainable world class rock climbing in Muir Valley"...that sounds like something I also support.
Yeah, I see where you would be confused.

ted
Gumby
Gumby

Post by ted » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Muir Sequestration,

btbradley
Gumby
Gumby

Post by btbradley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:28 pm

@toad

My point is from the outside looking in, I'd have no idea what FOMV does. All that's mentioned online is trail day. I am in fact not that stupid (can sometimes be hard to believe) and support FOMV and the Webers whole heartedly, and I wish their public presence (by that I mean online excluding this forum) did them any sort of justice. The mission statement (before me editing it) doesn't even mention climbing!

whoneedsfeet
Poser
Poser

Post by whoneedsfeet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 pm

World class climbing areas like the bowling alley, right?
Skipping cruxes is a way of life.

Willy
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Willy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 pm

Right?! Or the Solarium. That place is a pile

Cromlech
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Cromlech » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 am

I agree with the OP. It was a nice article.... and I was compelled to go on-line and donate another $50 to FoMV.

Many thanks to the Weber's and FoMV.

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:14 pm

No one should worry... One day it will be bought by, er... "saved" by climbers... and closed.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm

rjackson wrote:No one should worry... One day it will be bought by, er... "saved" by climbers... and closed.
While I know you are just poking fun at some other land owners, It is my opinion that there is one of two futures for Muir.

1.) A climbing supportive organization that has shown they are capable of sustaining Muir Valley as climbing venue will be entrusted with the property

2.) The land will be entrusted to another supportive and capable group that does not include climbing as a recreational use of the valley.

Willy
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Willy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 pm

My understanding from what I was told by a somewhat reliable resource, is that the Weber's will be leaving the land to FOMV when they are no longer capable of managing it. The Webers fully understand the ramifications if Miur were to be shut down and certainly don't wish for that to happen, so as long as things keep moving in a positive direction we shouldn't have to worry. When put into perspective that every visitor would only have to donate $2 to meet the maintenance costs its very reasonable. That information should be more widespread for ex: Instead of the donation boxes just stating that "Miur needs your donation to stay open" they should lay things out in more detail so people can gain perspective on where their money goes and just how little is needed if everyone pitches in. Also T\those of you who openly bash on Miur in this forum certainly aren't helping anything either. Rick and Liz frequent this site and I'm sure they don't appreciate reading your ignorant bitching about what they do with the land that THEY own. If you don't like Miur, don't climb there, keep your mouth shut and if nothing else you can be happy there aren't 30,000 more people every year at the other areas you enjoy climbing at.

stix
grump

Post by stix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Hey Willy...Fuck You and Muir Valley. My bitching is far from ignorant, rarely spontaneous regardless of how it comes off to you, and actually quite informed. Everything I post is meant be read and I couldn't give two fucks less if Muir Valley is closed to climbing. Eat a dick you giant pussy.
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau

whoneedsfeet
Poser
Poser

Post by whoneedsfeet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Skipping cruxes is a way of life.

Annea
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Annea » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

I think there's been some good discussion on this thread (Stix aside!), including comments on the limitations of the current FoMV website. A new website is in the works and will be rolled out in a week or so. The goal is for it to be a lot more informative and interactive.

Anne
Last edited by Annea on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lateralus
925 Challenged

Post by Lateralus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 pm

yeah stix, who dare accuse you of whiny ignorance when you come across as such an intelligent, classy, respectful dude.
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty

stix
grump

Post by stix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:32 pm

No kidding....do i really come off that way? i had know idea. that's really too bad. i hope everybody still likes me...
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau