Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Dyno wall RF 2013

Poll ended at Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am

YES, $5,000 is totally worth it and YES I would pay to enter
7
13%
YES, $5,000 is totally worth it but NO I would not pay to enter
18
34%
NO, it's not worth it
28
53%
 
Total votes: 53

toad857
Loser
Loser
Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by toad857 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

Need funding? I'd approach one of the big companies for a full-featured, high-quality logo right in the middle of the dyno wall. Not some half-assed banner strewn across the top--a HUGE logo. Easily worth a few thousand, especially if you can promise that it will be used for the next 5 - 10 years.

Don't sell rocktoberfest short--It's not like this is some rinky dink ABS comp. Rocktoberfest is a monster climbing event, in the country's trendiest climbing locale. Expect several thousand climber views during the event, plus another 15,000 or so from facebook pics alone. For 10 years.

Hell, if I were a startup company (like one of the zillion climbing hold companies out there), I would be in my garage RIGHT NOW making plans for this wall and scrapping together funds to get it built. The reward? Your company's logo becomes the centerpiece of the whole event. The cherry on top. For years.

User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by climb2core » Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 am

toad857 wrote:Need funding? I'd approach one of the big companies for a full-featured, high-quality logo right in the middle of the dyno wall. Not some half-assed banner strewn across the top--a HUGE logo. Easily worth a few thousand, especially if you can promise that it will be used for the next 5 - 10 years.

Don't sell rocktoberfest short--It's not like this is some rinky dink ABS comp. Rocktoberfest is a monster climbing event, in the country's trendiest climbing locale. Expect several thousand climber views during the event, plus another 15,000 or so from facebook pics alone. For 10 years.

Hell, if I were a startup company (like one of the zillion climbing hold companies out there), I would be in my garage RIGHT NOW making plans for this wall and scrapping together funds to get it built. The reward? Your company's logo becomes the centerpiece of the whole event. The cherry on top. For years.

Yes and it becomes announced as the "Insert sponsor" dyno comp.

toad857
Loser
Loser
Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by toad857 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

Again: a huge, painted logo. Not a half-assed banner. permanent. long-term investment.

User avatar
DriskellHR
choking on it
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: under your bed....
Contact:

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by DriskellHR » Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I agree this site is not the best cross section of our community but its hard to reach folks on a large scale. Unless the vote tilts in the other direction (to at least a 50/50) I doubt we will move forward with CC funds. I like all the suggestions and I agree a corporate sponsor would be great. I have already agreed to build it and assume the liability in the construction and design via my company. But to go further and pay for it is out of my league, not only that its a conflict of interest for a BOD member to benefit from the CC personally. Bring me some coin for the dyno wall and i'll build it. Get a corporate sponsor to put their name on it and i'm sure the RRGCC will go for it. (please be sure you are coordinating with the RRGCC if you plan to seek help as a representative of the CC, we all need to be on the same page)

I build shit, outside that I need help getting funds together. If yall are passionate about the project gimme call my number is easy to find on the internet.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker

User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by climb2core » Thu May 09, 2013 2:31 pm

DriskellHR wrote:I agree this site is not the best cross section of our community but its hard to reach folks on a large scale. Unless the vote tilts in the other direction (to at least a 50/50) I doubt we will move forward with CC funds. I like all the suggestions and I agree a corporate sponsor would be great. I have already agreed to build it and assume the liability in the construction and design via my company. But to go further and pay for it is out of my league, not only that its a conflict of interest for a BOD member to benefit from the CC personally. Bring me some coin for the dyno wall and i'll build it. Get a corporate sponsor to put their name on it and i'm sure the RRGCC will go for it. (please be sure you are coordinating with the RRGCC if you plan to seek help as a representative of the CC, we all need to be on the same page)

I build shit, outside that I need help getting funds together. If yall are passionate about the project gimme call my number is easy to find on the internet.

I think the vote may have gone differently had it had the correct message for the value some perceive this wall brings. And while votes from the community masses are nice... I think people donate their money with the intent that you (the RRGCC) will use the money as they see best for the overall success and viability of the RRGCC and its mission. In other words... polls are nice, but do what the board thinks is best.

Y'all have earned that.

Last thought... Had you asked the community if we should rent one for $500, I bet the response would have been very different. Same investment assuming 10 year lifespan.

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by Yasmeen » Thu May 09, 2013 2:47 pm

DriskellHR wrote:Get a corporate sponsor to put their name on it and i'm sure the RRGCC will go for it. (please be sure you are coordinating with the RRGCC if you plan to seek help as a representative of the CC, we all need to be on the same page)
+1,000

It would be awesome if this thread served as a springboard for a small group who wanted to take on the task of getting the dyno wall sponsored.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

User avatar
climb2core
Loser
Loser
Posts: 2224
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by climb2core » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I think the RRGCC should come out with an official proposal to put together a subcommittee to vet the sponsorship route and see if it is possible.

That would be cool... I would support that.
Last edited by climb2core on Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lena_chita
Poser
Poser
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by lena_chita » Thu May 09, 2013 5:11 pm

How about increasing the Rocktoberfest registration fee by $5 and earmarking that money for the bouldering wall?

That way, if one in 10 attendees enters the "free" bouldering comp, it is effectively the same as them paying $50 to register for the bouldering comp. And I think $5 is not going to make that much difference for people who were planning to go to Rocktoberfest in the first place.

Steve_RRG
Gumby
Gumby
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by Steve_RRG » Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 pm

I would say if you can get a sponsor or someone else to pay for it, fine. If it's coming out of RRGCC funds, I don't think it's a good idea. Seems to me that when people make a donation to the RRGCC they believe they are supporting infrastructure for outdoor climbing, e.g., trails, anchors, land, etc. Perhaps one of the climbing gyms could use it (and pay for it) for the other 364 days. It really sounds like something that belongs indoors at a gym except for special occasions.

User avatar
krampus
Snake Charmer
Posts: 3933
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:31 am
Location: avoiding leaves
Contact:

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by krampus » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

Steve, you could make that same argument about the money they spend to get the 23 string band for trail day, or any of the logistics that goes into rocktoberfest. The cost of the dyno wall would just be rolled into that sum.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

Meadows
Puppy Pimp
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:03 pm
Location: Singing in the sunshine - laughing in the rain

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by Meadows » Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am

While our community is small, we are the best audience and judge of decisions that affect us financially because we are the ones most invested in the climbing here. However, I do realize that not all the ones involved access this forum, although I've come to learn that many do lurk here without ever participating.

I have never personally participated in the dyno comp, but I recall seeing that it was a big draw for the event (as it is in other events outside of the Red). Is it possible to start a fundraising effort particularly for the wall (maybe set a goal of reaching half of the total needed) and try to reach people outside of the community? We want to keep Rfest as fun and interesting as possible, and as far as I can tell, people love watching and participating in the dyno comp.

lena_chita
Poser
Poser
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by lena_chita » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am

I've seen dyno walls at other fundraiser events (e.g. New River Rendezvous), but I always assumed that it was rented for a day. It seems insane that every local community would have a portable dyno wall that is used once a year, and then stored somewhere.

Is it worth getting in touch with people who run similar events within a day's drive from the Red and seeing where they get their wall? Or maybe striking a deal with them that if you build this new wall they could borrow it for their fundraising if they chip in for the cost of building it?

User avatar
der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey
Posts: 1344
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: en route

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by der uber » Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am


woodchuck008
Whiney Bitch
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by woodchuck008 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am

A remember a few sorry comp events, where real winners were robbed of glory due to rules that seemed to change in middle of event. IF the wall is of any interest, why not make it a RRGCC fund raising item? (yes, I know that means more volunteers needed to run it). Open up for 2 hours each evening, before the band or music starts. Charge a buck for 3 leaps. No winners, prizes. Just your own personal glory, bragging rights as you challenge each other. Kind of like a carnival game where you keep throwing good money to the carny' worker with 3 teeth, trying to hit the 3 bottles that never fall down., it's addicting. I'd guess most interested would toss in 5 bucks worth of jumps for the evening.

qmhill
Gumby
Gumby
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by qmhill » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 pm

woodchuck008 wrote:A remember a few sorry comp events, where real winners were robbed of glory due to rules that seemed to change in middle of event. IF the wall is of any interest, why not make it a RRGCC fund raising item? (yes, I know that means more volunteers needed to run it). Open up for 2 hours each evening, before the band or music starts. Charge a buck for 3 leaps. No winners, prizes. Just your own personal glory, bragging rights as you challenge each other. Kind of like a carnival game where you keep throwing good money to the carny' worker with 3 teeth, trying to hit the 3 bottles that never fall down., it's addicting. I'd guess most interested would toss in 5 bucks worth of jumps for the evening.
What about a mandatory beer shotgun before those leaps? That would draw a crowd.

Post Reply