Hiking Beta

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
bcircell
Gumby
Gumby

Hiking Beta

Post by bcircell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 am

Looking for recommendation for good hikes in the Red area. Apparently, the wife does not consider approaches to sport crags to be hiking. Scenic spots or fun loops would be optimal. I'd have my kids (7 and 5) with me, but I'm fairly sure they are nuclear powered and should not be the limiting factor.

Thanks for your input.

cliftongifford
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Re: Hiking Beta

Post by cliftongifford » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 am

Auxer Ridge is pretty awesome, it offers spectacular views and moderate hiking for the kids. If you're looking for something close to water, Rock Bridge trail is beautiful and also moderate hiking. It's also the only arch in the gorge that goes over a body of water, making it an actual bridge. Have fun, and be safe out there!

Player
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Player » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:33 pm

It sounds like you want easier then the approach? If so, Natural bridge is decent. Pretty short and well maintained.

Otherwise the approaches to the trad crags are fun.

heath
Gumby
Gumby

Post by heath » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Wall of Denial. Great hike great climbing.
"You're a long way from home now, Buddy" - Ted kindly pointing out a ran out mess.

bcircell
Gumby
Gumby

Post by bcircell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Player wrote:It sounds like you want easier then the approach? If so, Natural bridge is decent. Pretty short and well maintained.

Otherwise the approaches to the trad crags are fun.
Sorry should have been more specific. Doesn't need to be easy - but we're not planning on climbing. Just come down and enjoy the area for other purposes (which is an alien concept to me). The kids and I did Natural Bridge a while back, it's nice but way too crowded of a scene for my tastes.

Enoch309
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Enoch309 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Grey's Arch has a nice trail with the huge arch at the end. The amphitheater by the arch is spectacular, and there is a nice scramble to use beginner climbing skills to get on top of the arch.Go up to get under the arch and then hike left to find the base start to scramble up. A pretty walk and payoff at the end. But there will be other folks going to the arch. ....well... yeah. Its popular for a reason. Its cool !

tpowell
Gumby
Gumby

Post by tpowell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 am

Go to Auxier ridge. You can climb to the top of courthouse, and play around in other areas. The climbing is super casual but bring a rope and harness to get down of courthouse safely, especially if your wife isn't kosher with the whole free soloing/down climbing thing.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 am

Have you considered divorce and adoption??
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 am

+1 for Wall of Denial hike.

Even if you're not climbing, the kids will enjoy playing around near the cliffline, plus there will be few to no people there. It's a flat river hike the whole way (swimming), and you'll pass by a cave. Overall pretty stimulating for the kids. But it's not a loop, so you'll be heading back.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 am

cliftongifford wrote:Rock Bridge trail is beautiful and also moderate hiking. It's also the only arch in the gorge that goes over a body of water, making it an actual bridge.
There are other natural bridges in the Red, but this one is the only one with its own trail. It's probably the biggest, though.

Enoch309
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Enoch309 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Cloud Splitter is a good time. Nice top out and view.
Indian Staircase - Can be done as a loop. The staircase is a little heady for those unaccustomed to the exposure. Might bring a short rope so the kids, wife have something to hold on to. But it's one of the best hikes in the area.
Auxier Ridge is really nice. Includes the scramble down to Haystack Rock, as well as going on to Courthouse rock.

bcircell
Gumby
Gumby

Post by bcircell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We did the Auxier Ridge trail today and greatly enjoyed it, some really great views. Definitely want to go back and hit up the Indian Staircase and WoD.

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids

Post by Brentucky » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Whittleton Arch is a very nice hike with good scenery too. It's not the same kind of views as Auxier, but very nice creeks and a huge Arch with plenty of fun scrambling to do.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

Wolf
Poser
Poser

Post by Wolf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Gray's Arch is one of the most impressive arch's in the Red and well-worth a visit: http://tinyurl.com/l853xdm

Hanson's Point is very pretty and provides excellent views of Cloud Splitter, Chimney Top, and Half Moon. http://tinyurl.com/mdtek42

Double Arch is awesome, and it can be combined with Auxier Ridge to make an excellent longer hike. http://tinyurl.com/kzg86pb

Rock Bridge is a great short hike, but I like to do it after a heavy rain when Creation Falls is impressive instead of a trickle. http://tinyurl.com/lfpl6mq

Indian Staircase is awesome, but don't just hike to the top of it. Make sure you go around the whole rim of the horseshoe canyon.

The Douglas Trail ( the trail to Wall of Denial ) is beautiful, and it actually keeps going after the turn up to Wall of Denial. If you take it across Clifty Creek, it gets overgrown for a bit, but then it opens up and goes past some pretty cliff and eventually heads up away from the Red and comes to a very nice waterfall.

The Red is filled with great hikes. Have fun.
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html

milspecmark
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by milspecmark » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 am

Nice write up Wolf. I would like to add Raven Rock to the list. If you are coming from the nada tunnel, park in the little driveway on the right just before the Steel bridge. Walk back along the road towards nada tunnel. You will notice that when you are walking towards nada tunnel, the right side of the road (side towards raven rock) drops off about 10 or 15 feet to the floor and you cant really enter the woods. If you hike down the road about 100 yards or so you will eventually be able to enter the woods. Enter the woods and bushwack perpendicular to the road about 70 yards or so (you will cross a small stream, until you eventually hit the old road (You cant miss it). Turn right and follow this old road for about a mile and a half to the top of Raven Rock. The view is amazing. The only reason I recommend bushwwacking vs. going to the start of the road is because the road goes through some private property in the beggining and the people do not like the traffic. The first mile of the hike is flat and easy, it runs next to the river. Then it turns uphill and is very steep to the top. I like to take my video camera with 30x zoom and get a shot from the steel bridge and zoom all the way into the top of Raven rock, then at the top of Raven rock I zoom all the way in to the bridge.