Is a 142ft rope too short for climbing? - beginner

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
returntosender
Gumby
Gumby

Re: Is a 142ft rope too short for climbing? - beginner

Post by returntosender » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Alpinestar - take the $40 you saved on rope and commit to doing this event if you can still get in. This is a steal to have a professional guide give you instruction. http://www.meetup.com/lexington-climbin ... 166966292/

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:48 pm

whoneedsfeet wrote:I was lucky enough to have a good core base of friends that climbed and were decently experienced. I would suggest posting on the hooking up forum and let them know that you are new and know nothing for the most part. If you're lucky a group might let you tag along and kinda show you the proper way to lead, clean, set up trs, ect. ect. Being friendly and willing to learn is going to have people invite you out more often then not, good luck with everything this year I hope you have a good season and learn what you need to go out on your own.
We weren't and are not your friends.
Living the dream

lena_chita
Poser
Poser

Post by lena_chita » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Alpinestar18 wrote:I thought my wife and her friend was experienced with there talk about rock climbing so I started checking into it as a new hobby for the spring and found that they know absolutely nothing, of course I'm clueless too so it makes for a very frustrating situation. I'm basically youtubing, googling and picking up a guide book later to learn. I got the rope because I'm bored to death waiting for spring to come aroun and excited to buy some of the things needed but it sounds like I cut myself short I'm just hoping that I can climb without being too limited for a while until I have some extra money for the 60m rope.

How did you guys get started/learn. I'm not close to any gym but I'm only 30mins away from RRG.
It's not a bad deal on the rope. There are plenty of climbs at the Red that are less than 70ft, and if you have a gym that allows leading, chances are the walls at the gym are also less than 70feet, so even if you get a longer rope for outdoor climbing, you can probably use the short one at the gym.

BUT, you have to be hyper-aware of the fact that your rope is short at all times. Tie a knot at the end of the rope before climbing, always. Don't let anybody else climb on it, without telling them first that the rope is short. The guidebook lengths of routes are just guesstimates, and most people these days assume that the rope is at least 60m, so it would be easy to get distracted, get on a slightly-longer route, run out of rope, and drop your climber.

Ascentionist
Dream Catcher

Post by Ascentionist » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm

lena_chita wrote:BUT, you have to be hyper-aware of the fact that your rope is short at all times. Tie a knot at the end of the rope before climbing, always. Don't let anybody else climb on it, without telling them first that the rope is short. The guidebook lengths of routes are just guesstimates, and most people these days assume that the rope is at least 60m, so it would be easy to get distracted, get on a slightly-longer route, run out of rope, and drop your climber.
To my point: don't skimp, buy the 60.
There is no TEAM in I

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:42 pm

having a 60 meter rope is no substitute to being a vigilant nazi when thinking about climbing safety. it wasn't so long ago that almost all ropes were 50 meters and there are lots of climbs out there that left piles of rope on the ground with that. the Red is not a particularly good place to toprope or learn but Muir Valley is your best option. The Webers REQUIRE climbers to be proficient before they climb on their property (Waiver)
training is for people who care, i have a job.

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 pm

clif wrote: The Webers REQUIRE climbers to be proficient before they climb on their property (Waiver)
Ha Ha Ha, best thing I have read on here in awhile! Is that why I would guess it has some if the most sport climbing accidents in the United States! At least it looked that way when I was looking through last years American Alpine Club Journal...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

woodchuck008
Whiney Bitch

Post by woodchuck008 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 am

Lots of noob's don't intend to start on a 90 ft climb anyway. So a 'short rope' is often used, various sizes, 142 ft sounds fine, IF the rope is in good condition. Lots of 40-50 ft. starter climbs that the rope would work fine for. I hate hauling along the extra weight if I know my day is going to be only short routes. But do get totally instructed; asking how many quickdraws are always needed gives away the fact you don't know much about climbing yet. How about use a few bucks for a couple stoppers and some sling, and do some toprope climbs to get started. Not many to set up at the Red without a lead climber, but do get some serious instruction before you head to Muir. We don't need another utrained climber accident there this season.

bcircell
Gumby
Gumby

Post by bcircell » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 pm

ynp1 wrote:
clif wrote: The Webers REQUIRE climbers to be proficient before they climb on their property (Waiver)
Ha Ha Ha, best thing I have read on here in awhile! Is that why I would guess it has some if the most sport climbing accidents in the United States! At least it looked that way when I was looking through last years American Alpine Club Journal...
Two points for perspective

1 - The volume in Muir Valley is probably higher than many other areas around the country.
2- The Webers are diligent about reporting accidents on their property. From what I recall, the ANAM publication is largely self-reported with some incidents pulled in from news organizations.

I don't know that either of these points detracts from your thesis (many non-proficient climbers at MV) but they may help explain the anecdotal high incidence of accidents you mention.

For what it's worth, nothing I have witnessed at Muir Valley was atypical for an area so beginner friendly, and not even remotely close to the clusters I have seen/heard about out in Boulder. The video (and subsequent threads) of the party attempting one of the Flatirons just prior to an obvious massive thunderstorm is pure comic gold if you haven't seen it.

Alpinestar18
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Alpinestar18 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:05 pm

returntosender wrote:Alpinestar - take the $40 you saved on rope and commit to doing this event if you can still get in. This is a steal to have a professional guide give you instruction. http://www.meetup.com/lexington-climbin ... 166966292/
That's my weekend to work but I called today and paid for my wife and her friend to go, hopefully they can teach me a thing or two afterwords.
Thanks!