Life Insurance for Climbers

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Life Insurance for Climbers

Post by Josephine » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 pm

We're looking to do the right thing and purchase life insurance before I give birth in a few months. I've contacted the American Alpine Club to ask for a quote. Is there any other climber-friendly places I should get quotes for life insurance from?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

Rx2Climb
Gumby
Gumby

Re: Life Insurance for Climbers

Post by Rx2Climb » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:21 am

I would just get life insurance from a typical provider. They won't ask if you climb. Read the small print and make sure that climbing is not in the policy. You will be golden. If you tell the company you climb, they will probably try to charge you more. Also always check your gear and double check your knot and belayer! ; )
Drugs are Cool!

jay2718
Gumby
Gumby

Post by jay2718 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:44 pm

I went through the nurse visit and interview for a policy when I was about 43 or so. They did ask about high risk sports, such as sky diving and climbing in their interview. I answered "yes" to climbing, and it moved me from the "preferred" category to the "regular" category for the premium. My reasoning in disclosing it was that I did not want a way for the Ins. Co. to get out of paying if I did die in a climbing accident. Long story short, I did not buy any insurance, but I do not have kids. However, depending on the premium, you could self insure, if you can afford to set aside a few thousand every year. After 5 years, you would have enough for a short term emergency fund for the child, or you. The only catch, that insurance avoids, is probate proceedings. But if you put your assets in a trust, you can get around that. Anyway, lots to think about. My Father's dad passed away when he was 8, and life insurance was so helpful to him he became an insurance salesperson because of it. He always said it was there to help people. The other side of it is that it is relatively rare to die climbing or in middle age theses days, so could you put the premium money to work in a better way?

Flipper
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Flipper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:40 pm

buy a gun it will protect you from ted cruz and hillary clinton and meth heads at Miller Fork- its sexy, its dependable and it likes you.. you can even denote a special hat to wear when you clean it- like a gun bath hat sorta

Ottice Webb
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Ottice Webb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:42 pm

It helps keep the bobcats away at Choco too...

pkananen
Poser
Poser

Post by pkananen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:37 pm

My experience is that life insurance companies will ask about climbing. They asked me about what kind of climbing, if I use ropes and helmets, etc.

AndyB
Gumby
Gumby

Post by AndyB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:02 pm

I literally just went through the process of buying some additional life insurance and, yes, they will likely ask if you’re a rock climber, SCUBA diver or private pilot. I said “yes” to being a climber and had to complete an additional generic supplement that asked various questions about my climbing (frequency, experience, type of equipment, training, etc.) They also had me complete a mountaineering supplement because they don’t understand the difference between it and technical rock climbing. In it, I noted that I don’t climb anything at high altitude nor do I typically climb on ice or snow.

If spite of being a climber and 50+ years old, I still received the preferred rate from Prudential Life. For what it’s worth, I used SelectQuote as my broker.

Rx2Climb
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Rx2Climb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 pm

I guess I got lucky. My Life Insurance company did not ask. SSssshhhh!
Drugs are Cool!

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:34 pm

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still waiting for the quote from the AAC - I'll also try prudential life. I agree that I don't want a way out for the insurance companies if something would happen (hopefully not!).
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

AndyB
Gumby
Gumby

Post by AndyB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Below is the contact information for the agent I used at SelectQuote to get the preferred rate through Prudential. He did a great job of shepherding it through the underwriters.

Brian Bechtel
SelectQuote Insurance Services
Phone: 1-888-807-3971
Fax: 1-415-932-7949
[email protected]
http://www.selectquote.com/brian.bechtel

Good luck!

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 am

You sport climb... It is not that dangerous. You will not die sport climbing. Unless you are getting belayed by a gym climber...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:04 am

ynp1 wrote:You sport climb... It is not that dangerous. You will not die sport climbing. Unless you are getting belayed by a gym climber...
And I also trad climb. And multi pitch. And have even done a 14er once ;-) Since I started climbing there's been 3 deaths in RRG - all of whom were people I would not have thought would have died. :-( Kiddos on the way make you more responsible since they need to be provided for no matter what happens to us.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks Andy - will give that guy a shout and see if he can help.

Ascentionist
Dream Catcher

Post by Ascentionist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 pm

I had health insurance that once specific my policy would be null if I didn't disclose a whole bunch of activities that I actually had a fondness for (and made me a healthier person!). However, when it came to rock climbing I was primarily a boulderer at the time and they specified "mountain climbing." For once I agree with all of my climbing friends...not the same thing.
There is no TEAM in I

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 pm

If you don't go with AAC, I have a friend who works for Northwestern and I can connect you two. She's in here in Lexington.