Co-op bouldering gym

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
SCIN
BANNED

Co-op bouldering gym

Post by SCIN » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:27 pm

Now that Lexington Rocks is closed, we don't really have a way here in Lexington to maintain and/or develop the power required for bouldering. It kind of sucks for us.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what we can do. We have a spare bedroom but I don't think it would be large enough for a good wall. A few people have suggested a co-op. Does anyone have any experience with co-op gyms or know someone that is involved with one?
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

Spragwa
Southern Women Rule

Post by Spragwa » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:30 pm

Diane mentioned that there's a fabulous one in Chicago. Merrick? Mia?
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:33 pm

Yep, it would be very cool to have a place to boulder during the week and all. A co-op would be pretty sweet, as long as a good place could be found. Or, if someone would open a bouldering only gym, I would think they would be able to do OK, as long as the expenses were low enough.

What about UK's wall? How much does that cost a visit? Hell, it might be worth signing up for a few hours if you get to boulder for free.

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:40 pm

I hear the holds at UK are pretty big. Hard to set tough problems on.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:43 pm

I see. How long does it take to get to CT Cinci?

Man, I just wish they could re-open just the upstairs at LR or transport that into a smaller place.

Wes

Po, the kung fu panda

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:57 pm

Wes wrote:How long does it take to get to CT Cinci?
It's about 100 miles away from Lexington, I think. It would probably be faster to drive to the Red from Lexington, wouldn't it?

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:00 pm

Yasmeen wrote:
Wes wrote:How long does it take to get to CT Cinci?
It's about 100 miles away from Lexington, I think. It would probably be faster to drive to the Red from Lexington, wouldn't it?
Probably, but since there is very little bouldering in the red, it wouldn't make much sense to drive there. Kinda like I can be at the red in an hour, but usually end up driving 5 hours to get to boone.

Wes

Po, the kung fu panda

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:10 pm

Ah, gotcha. You should check out Eden Park if you haven't, or the super-secret cracks in the area. We had a sweet time at Eden Park tonight, though it's not the place to go if you're looking to gain overhang power. We had some nice background music from the outdoor concerts and the fireworks whenever the Reds hit a home run, though.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:13 pm

Man, I've been going to bouldering gyms for at least 2 days a week for the past 10 years. I can't imagine not having one. This really sucks. It's really part of my life to boulder on plastic during the week. What little social life I have outside of Michelle takes place at the gym too. That's where I meet all of my friends. :(

-Horatio

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:16 pm

I bet you could talk Michelle into incorporating a big bouldering wall into her garden, Ray. Maybe if you get some vines growing up the sides and curving over the top it'll give it a real "outdoor" feel, unlike any other climbing gym!
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

young'n climber
Team Mascot

Post by young'n climber » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:57 am

The gym in Chicago known as the shop is amazing! Althought its private and only certain people can be "invited" i had the privilege to go there once and it's a great establishment, best bouldering around. You can't go wrong with gyms like those.
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.

Spragwa
Southern Women Rule

Post by Spragwa » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:54 am

I think that we need to find an inexpensive warehouse area. We can check the rent at the warehouses where Climbtime was located. There may also be large empty spaces out Winchester Road. I have to wonder at the cost of locating a gym on campus. When Lexington Rocks first opened the area was run down and I'm sure it was perfect. Now, I'm afraid that it would be way too expensive. If we have 20 people in the area who are interested and we find a place for $600 a month, we can spend $30 a month. If we find a place for $1000 a month we'd spend $50 each. I can think of 15 people willing to participate. I know that there are more.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast

Spragwa
Southern Women Rule

Post by Spragwa » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:02 am

For example. Here's an ad from the LExington Herald-Leader

$700
Type of Use LightIndustrial/Manufacturing
Paid Utilities WATER
Lot Size (Acres) 0.5
Near Highways I-1
How is the Item Priced? Month
Type of Security Gate
Location Loudon & Lime
Original Ad WAREHOUSE/Workshop, I-1. 2160 sqft, $700/mo. 1250 sqft, $425/mo. Also fenced, paved 1/2 acre lot w/water svc & storage trailer, $500/mo. Loudon & Lime area. 233-3114
First Appeared in the Lexington Herald-Leader (KY)
Saturday, July 3, 2004

-Everlast

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:01 pm

Hell yea Spragwa. We're in for sure. This could be a great thing.

-Horatio

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:09 pm

I am in as well. But I think we should plan on an "entry" fee of $50-$100 per person to buy holds and plyboard. Then just devide up the monthly fee by the expenses. Maybe we can talk Nick into coming back to KY for a weekend to help design it...

Wes

Po, the kung fu panda