Terry

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Terry

Post by the lurkist » Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 am

I know many people are aware of this, but to those of you who haven't heard, I think you should know.
I am really sad to have to post this. We lost Terry Kindred yesterday.

He was the most ardent and colorful champion of the Red. He believed in the Red and the value of the climbing there and saw the potential of climbing there more than anyone else in the community. He set a standard of quality and craftsmanship in route developement that was difficult to match and was sometimes aggrevating to try to match.
He brought us more climbing opportunities than anyone has in the Red. His dedication to service and volunteerism gave us all many of our best crags and replacement of unsafe anchors on many of our best routes already established by others. He and Team Suck single handedly replaced more old bolts and placed more new bolts and routes that any one before.
He was yet another pedestal of climbing in the Red that we have lost.
There is a huge hole that we all know (having learned this from John's death) will not be filled.
My prayers go out to Terry's wife, his daughter, and his mom, and to all of his friends and climbing partners.
Good bye Terry. Rest in peace. We miss you.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

mcrib
(from the board)

Post by mcrib » Mon May 29, 2006 12:17 pm

That is terrible news.
"I just want to disappear"

finish jug
Gumby
Gumby

Post by finish jug » Mon May 29, 2006 12:38 pm

The red will never be the same without terry ....I miss him already...

Post by Guest » Mon May 29, 2006 12:45 pm

I have never cared what most people thought of me, but I always cared what Terry Kindred thought about me--even before we became close. I was very honored the first time Terry let me belay him with a "rappel device" and even more honored when he allowed me into his heart as a friend and gave me his trust. For those of you who only saw Terry as outspoken and perhaps a little egotistical, I want you to know he was a very sensitive, loving person who would do anything for a friend. He touched many of us and will be missed forever.

My heart goes out to his daughter, Kolbie, to his wife, Deb, to his mother, and to everyone who has been so deeply affected by Terry's death.

Paul3eb
|-|4735 1337 5|*34|<

Post by Paul3eb » Mon May 29, 2006 12:47 pm

kindred:

1 a : a group of related individuals b : one's relatives
2 : family relationship : KINSHIP

we were all kindred spirits. he gave us all so much and brought us together in the way some souls create a gravity, a magnetism all their own. terry pushed us all, especially when we sat on our hands. he pushed us to think, to consider, to evaluate, to care about what we do and what we believe. and more than that, he made us do something about it.

it's a hard time for all. talk to each other. listen to the others.

terry is gone only as far as you let his memory go in your mind. look around you, especially in the red, and look at all the good the man has done for the community and the people. take that, put it into your life, put into action, make a difference. celebrate the man's life and his immense good by keeping it in your life, showing it to everyone you can. take this man's life and learn from it, teach others.

dear steppenwolf, you're an immortal. laugh with the others.. "eternity is a mere moment, just long enough for a joke."

oh how i wish you were here..
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Mon May 29, 2006 1:33 pm

in my short apprenticeship in bolting at the Red, Terry was my most ardent supporter and most vocal critic (always with sound reasoning behind it I might add). I have learned more from his route advice over the last year than one person deserves. thank you Terry, for taking time to explain the ethics of the Red and for sharing your vision with me of what a route developer does, and for instilling a vision of ownership in us all.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

KD
Pooparazzo

terry

Post by KD » Mon May 29, 2006 2:34 pm

this is terrible news. my deepest sympahy to his family and friends

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Mon May 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Terry,

You will never be replaced. . . or forgotten.
Can't we all just get along?

der uber
Buff Biff the Sausage Monkey

Post by der uber » Mon May 29, 2006 4:20 pm

I did not know him but I'm sorry he's gone, he sounds like a great guy and he's done a lot of good for the Red.
Last edited by der uber on Mon May 29, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Mon May 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Terry's nature was to excel at things that he loved. His list of accomplishments, climbing-related and non, is long and impressive. I consider myself lucky to have been challenged by his conversations and made more knowledgeable by his teaching. Thank you, Terry, for the moments you shared with me. For the dart lessons at Marikka's, the dream analysis swaps at the Co-op, the crux beta at any given crag, and the wry humor that few possess. You truly are one of a kind, and will never be forgotten. May you rest in peace, for you truly deserve to.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm

OMG what terrible news.

sumdog
Gumby
Gumby

Post by sumdog » Mon May 29, 2006 5:54 pm

I heard of the news this weekend and am very sorry that we all lost a tremendous individual! I was just sitting around the campfire at Miguels a few weeks ago drinking beers and sharing stories with Terry. Puts life into perspective! He will be missed! I hope he is route setting up there in the big, blue sky so we can climb some lines together when our time comes! Rest in peace Terry!
"I mainly know 'bout possums."

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Mon May 29, 2006 6:46 pm

i think everyone who had an opportunity to climb or spend time with Terry is going to have their own special memory of him and what he did for them. I remember working Too Many Puppies with Terry one day and the conversations we had. It's been a while since I've been able to spend time in the Red but I always thought that during my next trip I'd see all my old friends down there. I'll be visiting Terry everytime I step onto one of his routes or when I visit a place we climbed together. I just can't believe it...
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

gunslnga
Ronin

Post by gunslnga » Mon May 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Terry's loss is terrrible, it was only a few weeks ago we shared idle chit chat about nothing worth remembering and now he's gone. I, as everyone who knew Terry, will miss him greatly, he was one of the most colorful characters I ever met in the Gorge....Thanks for everything Terry, bios con dios my Brother!!!!!!!!!
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.....

bob
Shaman

Post by bob » Mon May 29, 2006 7:41 pm

Terry's service will be at Cox Funeral Home in Mount Vernon at 10 am Wednesday. His ashes will be scattered in the gorge afterwards (Sky Bridge), probably around 1 pm (the time is a bit hazy due to the drive from Mt. Vernon).