Green Climbing

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:41 am

didn't say you didn't say it. curious as to how it isn't the ulimate good for anyone/ we are talking about a planet that we all live on and that some of your kids will continue to live on.

as i stated, to have goals that are completely self-centered is a waste of your life and everyone's that you encounter.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

Barnacle Ben
Poser
Poser

Post by Barnacle Ben » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 am

pigsteak wrote:why the defensiveness from several..this wasn't about other things being more evil than what we do...

it was about stepping up to our responsibility as climbers, and not pretending our poo don't reek.

I was honestly wondering what you as an individual do to improve our stewardship...

if you don't shop at wally world but drive every weekend to go climb, is that really any different?
I didn't see this post til after I made mine. Not sure if mine came off as defensive, but you do have several valid points and I think this is an interesting topic of discussion. Glad you brought it up.
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

Other than bringing people to the crag, the environmental impact of bolts must be minimal.

lena_chita
Poser
Poser

Re: Green Climbing

Post by lena_chita » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

pigsteak wrote:Is there anyone here who honestly can say with a straight face they are eco conscious, yet they climb outside regularly? If so, please share your stories of how your journey is helping and not hurting the environment.
Yes.

There are reasonable measures one could take, and there are extremes.

Driving to the crag uses fuel? Sure. But so does driving to go anywhere, be it working, hiking, fishing, canoeing, or visiting a National Park. Is it reasonable to say that we should all just stay in one place and not ever go anywhere other than places one can reach by biking or walking? No. Is it reasonable that we should minimize the amount of fuel spent by carpooling and using fuel-efficient cars? yes.

How about other ways of minimizing oil consumption? Choose to live close to work, for example. (There are people I work with who drive more in 5 days of commuting to work than I do driving to the Red). Sure, my trip is for pleasure, and theirs is for work, but environment doesn't care whether the fuel is burned on the way to work or on the way to the crag. Even with regular weekend trips I put less miles on my car than many people I know who never go camping (and i end up driving my car most of the time to the red)... Bike whenever possible... you can keep a mental tally--how long would it take you to accumulate as many bike miles as it takes for a round-trip to the Red. It's the total reduction that counts, not whether you drove to the crag or to the store.

And then there are all sorts of small things that add up:

Grow some of your own veggies, buy organic local produce, don't reach for a plastic bag every time you go grocery shopping, compost, reduce/reuse/recycle, buy less "stuff", use energy-efficient appliances and lightbulbs when you have to use them, conserve water, etc. etc.

Our family of 4 generates about 2-3 small grocery bags worth of trash in a week-- not even one regular trash-bag-full.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

if you drive your car all week, all over town, and then drive 100+ miles to climb then you are doing more than the person that drives all week and then sits at home on the weekend.

add onto that, going to the gym, everything we use is oil based, and that many folks don't have good outdoor skills (most of which are common sense) and it adds up.

not way worse but not any better.

remember, most people never travel more than 100yards from their car. you "explorers/FA'ers" go to places that nobody else really goes to and then produce climbs that draw more people to the area.

piggie, YOU are the problem and we should do away with you. fuckhole

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 am

since this is a climbing site, I figured we'd talk about climbing impact..throwing in a curve like ahab and caribe are doing is bait and switch...sort of like WMD's ya know....

ok, sweet, you guys don't buy plastic from wally world, but how much of your car is plastic? you loath old navy consumerism, but have the latest gear. even those pictures posted are misleading....ever see the camping area after a new river party, or the crap climbers leave after the rocktoberfest? multiply that over the world of climbers....

again, I was asking what YOU do...me, I do very little, and take away more than I give as far as the environment goes. I just have to be honest with myself on that front, and not pretend to be some eco fiend when my actions say otherwise.

I eat pre packaged food at the crag...I buy plastic tubs for my gear storage, I buy plastic bottled beverages, etc....I look out for old number one, and pretnd my ipact is minimal...but I am guessing everyone thinks that.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

anti is right..I am the problem. from now on all new climbs will be at secret crags.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 am

as ahab said we have bigger things to worry about. true.
but by doing the little we prevent the big. mountains started as molehills

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 am

Barnacle Ben wrote:I didn't see this post til after I made mine. Not sure if mine came off as defensive, but you do have several valid points and I think this is an interesting topic of discussion. Glad you brought it up.
+1 ^
not directed at you personally, piggy.

point is, the envronmental impact of climbing is virtually non-existent (including the activities you cited, pig) in comparison to some of the atrocities taking place in our atmosphere (as well as beyond it) currently. shouldn't we focus our energy on these things first?

i absolutely agree with you though. we should all do our part concerning the day to day choices we make.
buy the Ticket take the Ride

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 am

pigsteak wrote:since this is a climbing site, I figured we'd talk about climbing impact..throwing in a curve like ahab and caribe are doing is bait and switch...sort of like WMD's ya know....
I bicycle to work 4.5 mi each way. On the wk. ends I car pool to the crag. Lexington traffic would look like China in the 1970s if peoples' use of bicycle vs. car looked like mine. Get on your bike pig.

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

how about a comprehensive public transit sytem in the lex/L-ville area? that'd be a start.
i feel ya on the bike riding caribe, but it's just not practical for most commuters.
buy the Ticket take the Ride

schwagpad
innocent bystander

Post by schwagpad » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

How expensive would gas have to be for a climber-van\bus to be economical?

You lose a little freedom, but
1)You don't have to drive
2)It would presumably be a bit cheaper than paying for gas
3)You get environmental warm fuzzies

Pick up somewhere in lexington. Drop off at Lady Slipper, Roadside, torrent, Muir Valley, Lode, Pendergrass

Yeah....probably wouldn't work for the foreseeable future.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 pm

allright pigvomit you wanted a personel list, here.

i pick up garbage, as much as i can find. i spend my rests walking the crag and picking up tape, cigs, wrappers, and anything not natural. this includes two stickclips from the load plus the thermometer and any tape left on sticks taped together. i mean seriously folks.
disassemble any firerings and scatter the ashes/coals to hide the evidence and discourage others
tell others if they are acting poorly (dogs at muir, garbage, etc.)
haven't bought anything in a bit
try to make trips for more than one day to minamize car travel as well as carpooling when i can
iscrub holds, tickmarks, graffiti, and fill in dog holes. if your dog digs, please stop them from doing this or at least fill it in
act as a positive steward to tourists who stumble upon "the wild climbers" and try to educate them
try to do as much as possible with as little as possible. reuse jugs, eat scraps, borrow shit, steal other things, and breathe as little as possible.

schwagpad
innocent bystander

Post by schwagpad » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Here's a question. How many separate climber-cars make the Lexington - RRG commute on a beautiful saturday?

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 pm

have sat on the front porch and seen 4 different vehicles going to the same place with folks that had planned to climb together; all from lexington. all cars had capacity fo at least three+ (trucks) but most could fit four +