Green Climbing

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

schwag, i'm with ya.
i've thought about it before and would be willing to adjust my climbing schedule to do this. unfortunately, i don't think many would be willing to sacrifice the freedom of driving personal vehicles. i could be wrong.
buy the Ticket take the Ride

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

caribe wrote:
pigsteak wrote:since this is a climbing site, I figured we'd talk about climbing impact..throwing in a curve like ahab and caribe are doing is bait and switch...sort of like WMD's ya know....
I bicycle to work 4.5 mi each way. On the wk. ends I car pool to the crag. Lexington traffic would look like China in the 1970s if peoples' use of bicycle vs. car looked like mine. Get on your bike pig.
there ya go...a concrete example from caribe..thx dude.

I currently work in richmond...ain't noo way I am riding that every day.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 pm

how is this climbing related?

pig, quit hiding
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids

Post by Brentucky » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Eco-consicous does not equal eco-friendly, but it's better than eco-"I don't care at all." We all suck, but hey at least we have fun while we're at it, right?
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Post by michaelarmand » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:25 pm

This topic is lame - all humans (climbers or not) have pretty much the same significant impacts. Human need for food, shelter, clothing, warmth, and travel dwarfs the relatively small impacts of our recreational activities. You really think building a trail, drilling a hole in a rock, or pooping in the woods should even be a concern? Give me a break....

That said, I did buy an over-hyped "clean-diesel" car, and I am planning to replace all the old windows in my house. By the way, you as taxpayers will subsidize these costs :)

I also bike to work a lot now - last year I made 50 commuting trips, which kept over 1100 miles off my car. My goal for this year is 60 trips.
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

michaelarmand wrote:This topic is lame - all humans (climbers or not) have pretty much the same significant impacts. Human need for food, shelter, clothing, warmth, and travel dwarfs the relatively small impacts of our recreational activities.

I also bike to work a lot now - last year I made 50 commuting trips, which kept over 1100 miles off my car. My goal for this year is 60 trips.
i disagree.
you are saying that someone who builds a house with the most energy efficient supplies, most salvaged, and grows their own food and keeps unneeded purchases/travel to a minimum is doing as much or more than your average jo schmo who doesn't even do the bare minimum to save costs?

at the heart of it, being resourceful and efficient is WAYYYY cheaper than being wasteful. call it bein frugal then if that's better.

keep up the biking, we're all counting on you.

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Just polishing brass on the titanic.

Nothing short of massive population reduction is going to even make a dent.

But, by all means keep picking the low hanging fruit on the feel good about your self tree.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm

chuck palahniuk wrote:For thousands of years, human beings had screwed up and trashed and crapped on this planet, and now history expected me to clean up after everyone. I have to wash out and flatten my soup cans, and account for every drop of used motor oil. And I have to foot the bill for nuclear waste and burned gasoline tanks and landfilled toxic sludge dumped a generation before I was born.
chuck palahniuk wrote:"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit,"
Tyler said.
"They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
buy the Ticket take the Ride

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm

michaelarmand wrote:I also bike to work a lot now - last year I made 50 commuting trips, which kept over 1100 miles off my car. My goal for this year is 60 trips.
Changes your life doesn't it? The only time I am not biking is if there is significant danger of ice. If the rubber can hit the road I am on my byke myke.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm

do you bike to my house to climb?

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Wes wrote:Nothing short of massive population reduction is going to even make a dent.
Agreed, but what is the point of anything else if we don't try. Patriotism, and efforts at continuity hinge on a livable future ecology. Other countries are doing better then we are ecologically. They are also reaping the rewards. We are reaping the rewards from the efforts made by the generations that came before us. Think about the national treasure we have in yellowstone, yosemite, the grand canyon, hell the Red. The Red could be underwater right now. We owe the people who successfully preserved it big time. Thanks to them, we have a playground. The onus is on us to pick up trash (viz anticlimber) and keep the Red beautiful.
â™  We could be choking in toxic fumes, but we have cat converters . .
â™  we could be . . . . , but we have . . .
â™  the list goes on
It is all not a bust. The struggle toward sustainability is winnable. It will involve population control. I hope the pop control looks prettier than some dystopian realities suggests (viz. Orwell)

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm

pigsteak wrote:do you bike to my house to climb?
I've mapped it and the roads are too busy especially after the sun sets. I used to pull up on my cycle after work at Basset house all the time. Ask Aaron the bad boyz of basset. RIP Basset, you are missed.

michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Post by michaelarmand » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:15 pm

We are on the same page Anti. My point is if you are concerned about "going green", quitting your hobbies such as climbing is going to do very little.
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:23 pm

true quitting just climbing would do little but people need to focus on the little things and how the add/subtract from the bigger pictur.

but

carpooling to climb +
small groups +
efficient vehicles +
LNT tactics +
not reproducing +++++
having what you need not anything you can have +
and the list of small things add up

sure, one person doing one little thing. eh not a huge impact but billions doing just one little thing, (esp. when its all the same thing; reducing car use for example) makes a difference. billions doing mulyiple little things = a bigger impact/reduction.

wes said "But, by all means keep picking the low hanging fruit on the feel good about your self tree." its better than the fox that tried for the grapes high in the tree and upon not being able to reach them proclaimed they must be sour and of no use so he gave up.
wes, i'm sorry you have become so bitter in your old age. i guess marriage does make one unhappy and angry.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

caribe wrote:
pigsteak wrote:do you bike to my house to climb?
I've mapped it and the roads are too busy especially after the sun sets. I used to pull up on my cycle after work at Basset house all the time. Ask Aaron the bad boyz of basset. RIP Basset, you are missed.
weak sauce excuse giver :wink: