Utah climbing community

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
rdo'c
Gumby
Gumby

Utah climbing community

Post by rdo'c » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a job opportunity in Provo and my wife and I are heading out there next weekend to check out the area. I'd love to get some perspective on the community in the greater SLC area from a non-mormon who currently or has lived there. I have no religious affiliations so I don't give a crap what people pray to in their free time. My experience is that people with strong religious affiliations (mormon or other) do not share my open point of view.

I don't plan on living in Provo so some recommendations on towns to check out in the southern SLC suburbs would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

vertical1
Poser
Poser

Post by vertical1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:14 pm

I have spend the better part of the last 7 yrs in SLC. I love it there, although I am spending the season at Miguels. Climbing, hiking and skiing access is great. Provo and Utah county is much higher concentration of mormon. Salt lake, the further from downtown, the more mormon it gets. Sandy would be a decent alternative.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:21 pm

Sandy lived in SLC for a while.

If I wanted to live in an out door activity oriented community. SLC would be in the top five. If you drink, they love to feed you 3.2 beer. You can get regular strength beer, you'll just pay premium for it.

I've found that the locals who are "Jack" Mormons are more bitter toward religion than the most die-hard atheist. If some one brings up religion, don't give them an opinion, just give them the "deer in the headlights" stare. The locals also have a penchant for naming things along a religious theme...Cathedral, Wailing wall ect. Also they like the hobbit. Dunno why, just do.

You'll have a blast! You can buy used sporting equipment at Deseret Industries alot cheaper than you could any place else. Cross Country skis for $3.

The locals are fairly friendly. Stay under Misty Murphys radar. Good Luck!!
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

whatahutch
Werking on Mastahs degwee

Re: Utah climbing community

Post by whatahutch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

rdo'c wrote:My experience is that people with strong religious affiliations (mormon or other) do not share my open point of view.
Way to have an open point of view about people with strong religious affiliations.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Continue on.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder

Fartspray
I post pictures.

Post by Fartspray » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 am

Lord, please protect me from your "followers". :idea:
"I want to be in Kentucky when the end of the world comes, because it's always 20 years behind" - Mark Twain.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 am

hutch, you beat me to it...
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:25 am

dude, nothing more scary than a "glaasy-eyed true believer" :mrgreen:
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Clevis Hitch wrote:dude, nothing more scary than a "glaasy-eyed true believer" :mrgreen:
or a red neck with a gun and a pickup....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm

maybe to you.... :mrgreen:

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 pm

it's been awhile, but Sandy and Holliday (eastside) were university like communities (and as long as you bike north-south an easy bike ride to the university), many young active people and also close to the canyons. no one ever approached me about religion. you used to be able to get a lot of house for 100k ~10
years ago.

mike_a_lafontaine
Poser
Poser

Post by mike_a_lafontaine » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:28 pm

I've never lived there, but went for a conference a couple of years ago. Got lots of great feedback on things to do from the Wasatch Mountain Club, decided to climb the Pfeifferhorn. Started planning the trip and discovered that the buses to the ski lifts would drop you off right at the trailheads! Getting on public transportation in downtown SLC, nobody even batted an eye when I boarded with two alpine axes and sharp crampons strapped to my pack!

Lots of great gear shops to check out, too!

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:38 pm

For Utah and for any western state that's predominately mormon. Theres like this "tone" in the air, something you can't quite put your finger on. A buz in the background. Its not exactly a shadow but its like a shadow. Haunted is a closer word. Its all over the land. You're never really alone, theres alway the "shadow", witnessing what goes on. Its definatly dark though. Not a entity of light. Always lurking. I don't know. Maybe its under some "other" sort of authority. A different Power or Principality.

gregkerzhner
Look at Me!

Post by gregkerzhner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 am

Spent last summer out in Utah. In short, most everyone is completely nuts. People basically fall into two categories. First, there are the super mormons with 5 kids and a hatred for all good things in life. Perhaps more disturbingly, there are the people who grow up reacting against the mormons. These folks will be covered in tattoos, won’t hesitate to lie and steal and generally have a disregard for nature, common courtesy, etc… Basically, you will meet very few normal people. They will either be a religious fanatic or an alcoholic.
The climbing community is made up of good folks though. You will have a shitload of rock climbing close to you, with places for weekend trips, day trips and even quick after work sessions. Even though the rock quality is often not the best, the sheer volume and proximity of climbing routes might make your time here bearable.
Just remember that you are going to a place where a majority of the population believes something like Jesus came to America and converted a bunch of native Americans to Christianity. All these stories are Chronicled on golden plates, buried somewhere in new York that only one person can see or read. These people believe that story so much, they form their whole lifestyle around it, give up a large part of their finances, etc…
Any place where the ruling majority is that brainwashed has to be pretty messed up, you know?

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 am

+1

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

gregkerzhner, sounds like good ole kentucky only very few Mormons here. The virgin Mary story is just as crazy. . . for starters. Look at the damage and trash at some of the popular camping sites in the upper gorge--yikes!

For example: The sign as you are entering and leaving the southern region promises to explain how baptism saves you. If you can get ANYTHING out of their biblical quote (1 Peter 3:20), PM me. :shock: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV

Yet the climbing community here is pretty damn good. I think venues filter the population. Consider walking into an eclectic used record store in 2010 and think about talking to the first 5 people you meet. Now do the same at Walmart and write an essay.