Where to live?

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Izzy
Mad Skillz

Where to live?

Post by Izzy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:59 pm

So what's the best climbing town to live in? I recently (finally) graduated college, I'm single, have no debt and am looking to move to a cool town within an hour of a great sport climbing destination. My first thought was Lexington, as I've done 95% of my climbing in the red, but I know there's a lot of options. What better resource to turn to than the infinite wisdom of this forum? Really though, if there was one place to move to for sport climbing where would you go?
" Gimme the bat Wendy... just, gimme the bat."

http://izzyill.carbonmade.com

dustonian
BANNED

Re: Where to live?

Post by dustonian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Monterrey, Mexico

Izzy
Mad Skillz

Post by Izzy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Sorry, should have specified, where in the U.S. would you go?

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Eh... boring. Chattanooga or Bishop I suppose then. Lex is alright too but the drive and shitty weather get old. I'd recommend broadening your horizons beyond sport climbing, though.

Izzy
Mad Skillz

Post by Izzy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Chattanooga is on my list, but I thought Bishop was mostly bouldering (?). I'm open to trad, but realistically right now I'm a sport climber with a trad rack thats been gathering dust for several years.

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm

There are at least a thousand sport climbs around Bishop, not to mention proximity to lots of great crags in Nevada.

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm

i bought an old beat up house and spend all my time trying to hold it together. forget living anywhere and go everywhere. the classics- Vegas or Seattle, Sacramento (?), Carson City/Reno, Salt Lake? knew a guy that was pretty happy in Pocatello. Bend was alright but Smith gets old. nyc/new paltz or moab?
just stating the obvious.
training is for people who care, i have a job.

Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Post by Clevis Hitch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 pm

clif wrote:i bought an old beat up house and spend all my time trying to hold it together. forget living anywhere and go everywhere. the classics- Vegas or Seattle, Sacramento (?), Carson City/Reno, Salt Lake? knew a guy that was pretty happy in Pocatello. Bend was alright but Smith gets old. nyc/new paltz or moab?
just stating the obvious.
Agreed. I would start with Vegas, at least in the fall. Then hueco for the winter. Then ? Who knows.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Yeah Vegas is a good choice. Or St. George, UT.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:49 pm

the ideal would be a simple little airstream trailer in the Nevada Desert outside Vegas/Red Rocks. Single with a hooker coming over on Friday night with two big hooters and a pizza and beer.....

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Ravenna
HUC8MAP.jpg
HUC8MAP.jpg (117.14 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
training is for people who care, i have a job.

allah
Went Down On It

Post by allah » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 am

Las vegas, best conditions for year around climbing! Good limestone/sandstone/and granite all close. Easy evening sessions on real Boulders and cheap airport to fly in and out of! There are also a lot of really good people there also.

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 am

After climbing at several areas in the Sierras i would consider living in this part of the country. Today it was 85 in Mammoth City but a 45 minute drive took us to down jackets and bouldering at Tuoleme Meadows. Reno would probably be a good choice. 3 day weekends can put you in the Happys or Buttermilks, weekends at Donner, Big Chief, Lover's Leap,etc. bouldering, steep caves, friction, big trad. Seems like there's everything out here for year round climbing.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 am

I visited 10 states before deciding where to live. I ranked them in this order
Ft Collins
Vegas
Lexington

Then I took into account cost of living, the friendliness of locals & proximity to my parents. I moved to Lexington. I bought a very nich home last summer (couldnt have afforded it in either of the other cities). I got involved in the climbing community & spend my time climbing with some great people. Tonight i am currently spending the night in the hospital with my dad. I can go home as much or as little as they need me. I can visit anywhere and climb, but I'm very glad I chose Lexington to live.

As much as you might not want to hear this, there are other things to factor into a big decision than just which city is the best climbing town. Unless, of course, you don't plan to work, have a family, or settle down. In which case the answer is obviously don't pick a city, just visit them all during their prime climbing season :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:04 am

Izzy, considering what you do for a living, try snagging a telecommuting job and just travel for the next year so that you not only see what climbing area gets you stoked, but the community in which you want to commit. If I didn't have two dogs, that's exactly what I would do right now.