Legality of climbing in Kentucky?

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...

Legality of climbing in Kentucky?

Postby Redpoint » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Is there no climbing allowed on any State of Kentucky owned land, or is it just the land Kentucky says you can't climb on, like specific State Parks. I think Dismal Rock is part of Nolin State Park, and you can climb there.

For instance: what if I found some climbing on an island on the Ohio River that Kentucky owns, could I climb there?
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
Redpoint
I. Am. Dumb.

Re: Legality of climbing in Kentucky?

Postby toad857 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

If it's an island on the Ohio, it is a sand bar. Are you talking about a bridge or something?
toad857
Loser
Loser

Postby Shannon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 pm

It is not illegal to climb on Kentucky state parks. It is a State Park Policy issued under Park Memo 05-01 to prohibit climbing without prior written permission. See below.

Other land owned by Kentucky would be covered by whatever agency or jurisdiction was responsible, for example, KY Fish and Wildlife or Department of Transportation, etc.

STATE PARK POLICIES
(Activities Requiring Permits or Written Permission from Park Officials)

Rappelling and Rock Climbing Park Policy Memo 05-01
The sport of rappelling and rock climbing with ropes, carabiners or any other means, are prohibited anywhere within the jurisdiction of the Department of Parks without prior written permission of the Commissioner of Parks.

Rappelling Park Policy Memo 98-05-01. The sport of rappelling is strictly forbidden anywhere within the jurisdiction of the Department of Parks without prior written permission of the Commissioner of Parks.
Shannon
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Redpoint » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 pm

What if it wasn't a park, just land owned by Kentucky? Example: boulders situated in the Ohio River.

Should we assume no climbing is allowed, or the opposite.
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
Redpoint
I. Am. Dumb.

Postby ynp1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 pm

I think it deals more with the parks and not state owned land.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
ynp1
still a dumbass

Postby Redpoint » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm

It just makes me think that might be their policy for everything then. I guess my next course of action should be contacting fish and wildlife or something, unless someone knows the answer to this conundrum..
Redpoint
I. Am. Dumb.

Postby dustonian » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Don't bother Fish & Wildlife. Just go climb your boulders... no one cares, and F&WD will either ignore you or say no.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby Redpoint » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 pm

I need answers, what should I do? I would love to make the place public, have meetups there, and just be able to climb without worrying.

How much would the fine be? Better yet what would the fine even be for? I doubt there is a rule anywhere stating "no climbing" allowed in the ohio river, but it would be nice to know for sure.

The Fish and Wildlife website said it may take them a week to respond due to researching your question. Maybe when they can't answer it, they just end up forgetting about it. I would hope the only reason they would say no is because they found a rule/law which stated so.
Redpoint
I. Am. Dumb.

Postby qmhill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:34 am

dustonian wrote:Don't bother Fish & Wildlife. Just go climb your boulders... no one cares, and F&WD will either ignore you or say no.

+1
qmhill
Gumby
Gumby

Postby clif » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 am

i'd note that the prohibition seems to require some element of technical equipment. bouldering could then fall outside of the code?

the army corps of engineers apparently has a selective policy against dws, i.e. summersville lake. navigable/commercial waterways usually fall under their jurisdiction..
training is for people who care, i have a job.
clif
Loser
Loser

Postby WDW4 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 am

clif wrote:i'd note that the prohibition seems to require some element of technical equipment. bouldering could then fall outside of the code?

maybe not:
Shannon wrote:The sport of rappelling and rock climbing with ropes, carabiners or any other means...
WDW4
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Redpoint » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Well it's not DWS, and it's before the locks, so no boats are going through this stretch.

I just found out that Dismal Rock at Nolin River Dam is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, and you can climb there. Do you think that climbers had to get permission to climb there first?
Redpoint
I. Am. Dumb.

Postby Howie Feltersnatch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm

People have been climbing at dismal since the days of star drives. The main chimney was climbed decades ago. The newest groups of folks to climb there regularly have had a relationship with the corp... They also weren't the kind of people to have meetups, "make a place public", or talk about shit on the internet. They got to climb without worrying because they just minded their own business and had fun climbing in the woods.
Howie Feltersnatch
Gumby
Gumby

Postby batguano » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:19 am

Star Drives... yah!

weather is occurring.
batguano
Slacker

Return to More climbing!