I have to frozen spray!

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:32 pm

canadaclimbergirl wrote:I'll be climbing tomorrow, Saturday and SUnday. I'm stoked! hopefully I'll do another lead or two!!!
Thanks for breaking my freaking heart... It's like 50 degrees down here and all my precious snow is melting:(

You have yourself a good time though! Post up some good pics! One of the coolest pics of ice climbing I saw was from these guys that set up their cameras to take repeated exposures while they were ice climbing at night with colored lenses on their headlamps... It was freaking awesome.

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:18 pm

Yea. We want pictures.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:23 pm

I think you boys would just love to see pictures of our beautiful CCG...ice climbing, climbing, sitting there...
:lol:
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:31 pm

diggum wrote:I think you boys would just love to see pictures of our beautiful CCG...ice climbing, climbing, sitting there...
:lol:

:shock:

Just what are you trying to say D?

diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:55 pm

yeah...you heard me.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:59 pm

diggum wrote:yeah...you heard me.
Where's the little smiley face where my mouth is covered?

D, I'm offended that you would call into question my intentions. I think you're just jealous that I didn't ask you what kind of tools you use. Put that one in your tea and sip it.

diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:02 pm

Yes...I know that your intentions are always honorable.

I apologize...proceed w/ your ice climbing discussion oh honorable Powen. :oops:

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:04 pm

diggum wrote:Yes...I know that your intentions are always honorable.

I apologize...proceed w/ your ice climbing discussion oh honorable Powen. :oops:

Well, I would, but I have to go polish my "AHOLE" belt buckle now.

:D

Santa
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Santa » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:40 pm

is this CCG? cause I had this name in my 'good' file...haha

don't you wish you only had to work two days out of the year for the rest of the year in vacation.

haas
Choss Hunter

Post by haas » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:11 pm

CCG, New Brunswick is a little far from here, but I bet there's tons of fat ice up there. Good luck leading. Oh and BD Cobras with Android leashes are the ticket

CincySam
Gumby
Gumby

Post by CincySam » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:18 pm

That's cool that you got to climb some ice. Good times. I'd love to get some leashless axes, but man are they ridiculously expensive. Can't afford that yet, but someday. Especially cause I think the ice in the OH/IN/KY area is more likely to be mixed climbing.

Anyway, I was actually gearing up for an ice trip down to North Carolina next weekend. Supposedly the ice WAS in down there. Here's a conditions report: http://www.foxmountainguides.com/Curren ... itions.htm

Maybe it'll come back. If not, I guess it'll be a rockclimbing trip.

Also, I've got a few leads on places to climb ice in Ohio, if it ever gets cold enough.

s.

powen01
Poser
Poser

Post by powen01 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:39 pm

CincySam wrote:Anyway, I was actually gearing up for an ice trip down to North Carolina next weekend. Supposedly the ice WAS in down there. Here's a conditions report: http://www.foxmountainguides.com/Curren ... itions.htm

Maybe it'll come back. If not, I guess it'll be a rockclimbing trip.

Also, I've got a few leads on places to climb ice in Ohio, if it ever gets cold enough.

s.
I'm actually trying to find out more about some ice climbing in IL as well. Looks like Starving Rock might have had some good conditions earlier, but some of it has come crashing down:( This heat wave sucks. Still looking for other locations that I can get to for a weekend trip too... but that brings to mind another problem I have... Still no tools:(

Once I get my first pair of tools (I have my eye on Cobras:), then I can make all the trips I want to NH, CO etc... :)

What places are there in OH? I'd be interested to hear about them...

I need to get that book "Southern Fried Ice" - I hear it's a pretty good guidebook...

CincySam
Gumby
Gumby

Post by CincySam » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:06 pm

I'm actually trying to find out more about some ice climbing in IL as well.
Yeah, that's definately one of the places I wanna check out. That and maybe some stuff in southern IN. I've been scouring the internet for "ice formations ohio" and so forth, and have had some interesting results.
Once I get my first pair of tools (I have my eye on Cobras:), then I can make all the trips I want to NH, CO etc... :)
I'm afraid I'd mess up the carbon fiber knocking snow off my crampons and such. www.climbaxe.com has some good deals on the Rage's and the petzl-charlet stuff though.
What places are there in OH? I'd be interested to hear about them...
Hocking Hills sometimes, there are some quarries here and there that you can get arrested at if you want, and there might be some stuff even closer. But I need to investigate it some more still, cause its probably all just crappy ice.
I need to get that book "Southern Fried Ice" - I hear it's a pretty good guidebook...
Yeah, mine's on the way. The author seemed pretty cool.

neuroshock
Tard

Post by neuroshock » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:46 am

the ice at Starved Rock is better than having nothing, but it's still not all that great (in comparison to the stuff in Ouray, etc).

i've some high-res digital photos of a couple of the formations from this past january. i just have to find somewhere to upload/host them.

and, yes, it was looking good for a while...then it collapsed in this warm spell :( this past winter was the first time anything formed there in 2-3 years. unfortunately, the formations get little to no sunlight so if the very cold temps persist they get all hacked out in a week or so.

canadaclimbergirl
Hoochie Power

Post by canadaclimbergirl » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:58 am

Santa wrote:is this CCG? cause I had this name in my 'good' file...haha
yes.that is me. Where the H. E. 'double hockey sticks' did you find those pictures? I don't even have copies!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman