Summer Climbing Plans

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
John E
Mister Busty

Post by John E » Sat May 28, 2005 6:13 pm

I used to live in Madison and have climbed at Devil's Lake thousands of times. The railroad tracks area along the east bluff is the best place to swim after a hot day of climbing. You can scramble down the cliff and jump right in.
Life's too short to drink cheap beer or cheap coffee.

Crankmas
Fred Garvin, male prostitute

Post by Crankmas » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am

presently planning a biking expedition to Purple Valley region

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:10 pm

For the first time in my life, I really hate Summer and wish it to go away. My endurance and strength are far better than I could've imagined, and now it's time to sit by the pool and drink margaritas.

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:13 pm

Roadtrip, Meadows, roadtrip. Rumney might still be in season. Or sinks and wild iris are just starting thier seasons. Rifle or maybe some other front range stuff might be good. There are some nice crags in canada as well. And those are just the sport climbing areas.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:16 pm

There's climbing outside of the Red River Gorge? :?

Great, I'll pick you up in a few ...

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Don't tempt me. I would love to climb at wild iris: 8,000 foot elevation, views of the winds, steep, pocket pulling, free camping, cool little town, etc. I think they might even have snow up there still.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

neuroshock
Tard

Post by neuroshock » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Devil's Lake, Summersville, Squamish, Yosemite (early/mid September is still summer?), and possibly Niagara Glen are in the plans for the summer.

too bad a good friend of mine chose July 3rd for his wedding...else the Glen would be more definite.

tomdarch
Compendious

Post by tomdarch » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:10 pm

Wes wrote:Don't tempt me. I would love to climb at wild iris: 8,000 foot elevation, views of the winds, steep, pocket pulling, free camping, cool little town, etc. I think they might even have snow up there still.
Wild Iris is amazing - my dream summer crag.

As for Devil's Lake in August - two words: East Bluff - two more words: dark rock - two more, more words: south facing! w00Tt! But seriously, I'm not such a big fan of DL - crazy crowds (It's centrally located for Chicago, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities), and I'm just not that fond of the rock. That said, if you've never been, it's worth a visit - but don't judge it by a weekend madhouse in August. If you trad lead, do Cleopatra's Needle, just for the novelty of wobbling the top block and rapping off one of the two bolts in the park!

Squeezind: some of us from Chicago are already planning on heading up to the Beautiful Bruce Peninsula for the 4th! I'll PM or e-mail you. We hit it last year - the whole find the route, rap in, climb out thing doesn't exactly encourage hard sendage, but it was tons of fun. Plus there are other crags than Lions Head which have more straightforward set ups.

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/album_p ... pic_id=954

The belayer is on a hanging belay about 200' above the trees in the background...

Also, here's a link to a thread from last year:

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtopic.php?t=3426
Bacon is meat candy.

J-Rock
Indiana Jared

Post by J-Rock » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:16 am

The West Bluff does not usually have crowds.
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder

young'n climber
Team Mascot

Post by young'n climber » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:08 am

Tom, are you hitting up lander this summer?
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.

kneebar
Closet Renaissance Hardman

Post by kneebar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:29 am

Maybe Bon Echo in Canada, or Vedauwoo. Or even Sqaumish in early Sept. Haven't been to any of them so it should be fun. I'm kind of into the offwidth thing for now. (as though I need to scare myself more). I have to check with my sponsor to see how much time I've got coming! :wink:

John E
Mister Busty

Post by John E » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:09 am

The summer weekends at Devil's Lake are always crowded...East or West Bluff. You just need to get there early to be able to get on the routes you want. On really hot days it's great to be able to take a dip in the lake after a hard day of climbing.
Life's too short to drink cheap beer or cheap coffee.

ynp1
still a dumbass

Post by ynp1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:32 pm

the rock gets slick as shit when it is hot.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.

kafish2
Poser
Poser

Post by kafish2 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:25 pm

So I was in New Hampshire last weekend and got to go visit Rumney... ahhh it is amazing. The climbing is awesome, the mountain itself is beautiful, the people were great, and best of all was the river that runs at the base of the mountain where you park. Nothing like an end of the day swim... Make plans to go, it is well worth it and I am definitely going to try and get back there this fall for a week or two!

Also plan on a trip to arizona here in a few weeks, yay! And the triple crown of bouldering this fall. Anyone else doing the triple crown?

tbwilsonky
Chuck

Post by tbwilsonky » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:56 am

Grayson Lake State Park - Two hours east on 64 and lots of sandstone over deep water.

(swim, climb, jump, repeat)
haunted.