Muscle Milk

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Muscle Milk

Post by the lurkist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I used this for the first time today. I had been using Whey protein with milk and yogurt.
anyone else want to share?
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:46 pm

On the Muscle Milk since way back in the day. Seems to work well, always feel better the next day after a workout/climbing/boulder/etc. Also use the cytomax drink from the same people, during the day/working/seesion as well.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Doesn't that have breast milk in it?
Ck out Myoplex.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:13 pm

quit getting old..that seems to keep the pain at bay.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:43 pm

I didn't know yogurt was for guys. all you see is women eating it so i thought it was made for them. like chick food or something.

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 pm

getting old. better than the alternative. bring on the protein powder/ muscle milk.
The point of this whole exercise is to arrive at 70 years old and be able to climb the great 5.12s of the Red.
Normie

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:51 am

Protein/carb ratio is too high to be a really effective post workout drink. Plain old chocolate milk is better.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

schwagpad
innocent bystander

Post by schwagpad » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:33 am

the lurkist wrote:getting old. better than the alternative. bring on the protein powder/ muscle milk.
The point of this whole exercise is to arrive at 70 years old and be able to climb the great 5.12s of the Red.
Im with you, friend. pickin up what your puttin down

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:06 am

I thought a high protein/carb ratio was beneficial in the 1/2 to one hour post workout. I don't understand the physiology but apparently there is a window of time post workout where muscles are vulnerable- insulin response to the carbs/sugar unlocks the muscle cell and loads it with the glucose, with the amino acids piggie backing into the cell with the glucose. something like that.
I am talking out my ass, but I did think more protein was better. What is your understanding?
Normie

flashmaster
Deputy Dangle

Post by flashmaster » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:33 am

I cant drink that shit until they change the name. I feel really gay just looking at it in the store

Spragwa
Southern Women Rule

Post by Spragwa » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:00 am

A man I work with specializes in sports nutrition and has the lovely degrees to go with his claims of knowledge. He said muscle milk does most of what it advertises. Lurk, I can put you in touch with him via email. He'd LOVE to chat with you about this stuff.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast

overhung
Masochist

Post by overhung » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 am

I'll throw in my two cents. A guy I work with is a body builder and he uses Muscle Milk, but says unless you're a body builder trying to gain muscle (bulk), you're wasting your money. He says the whey protein at Wal-Mart (Body Fortress) is a good source for pre-post workouts. He says the type of whey in Muscle Milk is sort of a long acting (cassenate?) whatever, but he takes it before bed so that his muscles receive protein throughout the night. He tried to explain the ratio of carbs/protein, but I got lost in the numbers. He does say that the window of an hour to an hour and a half after workout is critical to take in some protein. He even said the Slim-fast protein shake is a good option.
I've had just about enough of this shit.

overhung
Masochist

Post by overhung » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:35 am

Wes wrote:On the Muscle Milk since way back in the day. Seems to work well, always feel better the next day after a workout/climbing/boulder/etc. Also use the cytomax drink from the same people, during the day/working/seesion as well.
Wes, have you noticed any difference in forearm pump using the cytomax while climbing?
I've had just about enough of this shit.

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:36 am

Nope, not really. But, it does *seem* to help keep the energy levels pretty consistent thought a day of climbing/cardio workout/bouldering session. I also usually only use 1.5 scoops per liter. Tried some of their muscle energy stuff once (maybe creatine based?), and that stuff gave me a pump really quickly, to the point that I stopped using it.

I don't know about carb/protein ratios, but the smaller carton of MM lite seems to work for me as well as a the bigger one. And, usually only used one of the mix scoops, rather then two.

Love their slogan, and it is something I adapted to climbing - "Training makes you weak, recovery makes you strong" Same with climbing. A hard bouldering session will make you weak, only if you have enough rest, recovery, and nutrition will you get stronger over the long term.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 am

"Training makes you weak, recovery makes you strong".

That is brilliant.
Normie