Injury Prevention for younger people

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:12 pm

stick-clipping the first bolt of ROCS.

that should help you survive until at least next year
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

mike_a_lafontaine
Poser
Poser

Post by mike_a_lafontaine » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Don't skimp on weight training. You don't have to lift heavy, in fact, it's better to do lighter weights for reps. For each muscle group, find one or two lifting exercises and then choose a weight that you can do 8-12 times for 3-5 reps and lift each group 1 or 2 times per week. Moderate weight training will improve bone density later in age as well as ligament and tendon strength, improve lean muscle mass and endurance.

And yes, stretch, both before AND after exercise!

anticlmber
Tenderheart Bear

Post by anticlmber » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm

don't age.

try drinking oil of olay.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

dipsi
Hoochy Momma

Post by dipsi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Mack5 wrote:anti this is why i said in my first post, that any advice from you is bad advice......even tho your first comment was prolly right.
Anti drinks mayo. :twisted: Bad plan!
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS

mike_anderson
Gumby
Gumby

Post by mike_anderson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Icing is probably the single best way to prevent all types of injuries except frostbite.

It's probably overkill at your age, but anytime you feel a little more worked than normal, or something jointy is hurting, ice will help.

kato
Blade Master

Post by kato » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Eat healthy, know your gear, drive safe (or ride with a safe driver). At 15, those are your three biggest risks.
No chalkbag since 1995.

schwagpad
innocent bystander

Post by schwagpad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48 pm

I never used to warm up much (still not very good at it), but I have had tendinitis for 7 years because of a particular day when I didn't warm up and jumped on a hard boulder problem... So...do what the old guys do. Warm up some, even if it doesn't feel like you need to.

Brentucky
loose flapping hemorrhoids

Post by Brentucky » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Hang with people who are older, weaker, and more disabled than you are for your whole life and distort your perception a bit that way, then you'll be just fine. Also, don't smoke, it's a joke!
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Brentucky wrote:Hang with people who are older, weaker, and more disabled than you are for your whole life and distort your perception a bit that way, then you'll be just fine. Also, don't smoke, it's a joke!
you are now officially uninvited for thursday...punk.

where's my geritol?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

therookie
really Pigsteak

Post by therookie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm

warm up slow, theraband exercises for shoulders and rotator cuffs, drink water, REST...not talking 1 day off 9 days on. if you feel tired, rest.

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36 pm

All good advice. Also, look at Conditioning for Climbers. Horst offers up a bunch of stretches and exercises to do to minimize your risk of being hurt during climbing and for staving off muscle imbalances.
Can't we all just get along?

rustyvasectomy
Name's Greg, and I climb harder then you

Post by rustyvasectomy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

lift heavy weights. use your back as much as possible, its the strongest part of your body.
"It’s a not so secret secret that people who call themselvs trad climbers dont actually climb. They just post shit on rocklimbing.com all night while masturbating to Parrollelojams."

Barnacle Ben
Poser
Poser

Post by Barnacle Ben » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Legs are the strongest part of your body.
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham