Supplements for recovery

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
buckoff6183
Gumby
Gumby

Supplements for recovery

Post by buckoff6183 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Was wondering if any one has tried supplements for recovery from climbing workouts, such as protein drinks, or any thing else. Also was wondering if any one is taking a pre workout supplement like a N.O drink or pill? Or any thing else that some one has tried and the outcome of the product. Any info is much appreciated.

krampus
Snake Charmer

Re: Supplements for recovery

Post by krampus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

cokane is a hell of a drug
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

buckoff6183
Gumby
Gumby

Post by buckoff6183 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:19 pm

yeah tried that, or maybe it was chalk dust in the gym from brushing them holds.

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:34 pm

I used to use a Powerbar recovery drink that had close to the optimum Protein to Carbs ratio to speed recovery. After reading that US Olympic teams had switched to chocolate milk as their recovery drink of choice, I investigated and switched myself. Plain old (premade) chocolate milk has the best protein to carb ratio that you'll find in a single package. Most "recovery" products (like muscle milk) give far too much protein than is needed.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Protein drinks and bars have too much sugar. Sargento light cheese sticks. 150 calories (3 sticks) gives you 18 grams of protein, 7.5 grams of fat, and 0 sugar. Find a protein bar that beats that. More than likely it'll have more fat, less protein, or more sugar.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Don't listen to these jackwagons. If MuscleTech tells me that their pill will make me as strong as a silverback gorilla, then you bet I going to eat that stuff like candy.
Living the dream

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm

SCIN wrote:Protein drinks and bars have too much sugar. Sargento light cheese sticks. 150 calories (3 sticks) gives you 18 grams of protein, 7.5 grams of fat, and 0 sugar. Find a protein bar that beats that. More than likely it'll have more fat, less protein, or more sugar.
Ha! Plus a Sargento cheese stick costs about 20 cents.

aburgoon
Gumby
Gumby

Post by aburgoon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd start off with this: snake oil, whatever comes up first when you google the word 'supplement,' and your own urine. Need to stay supple and hydrated, you know?

captain static
Hippifried

Post by captain static » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 pm

The Huber bros always went to the Rathskellar for recovery after a workout.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh

Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Post by Saxman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 am

If you can afford it, HMB cuts down on muscle soreness allowing harder workouts and faster recovery.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

heavyc
Gumby
Gumby

Post by heavyc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 am

scin, the cheese sticks have a nice amount of protein but that amount of fat will really slow down the digestion process which will delay getting those carbs and protein into your muscles that need to recover, I agree with Kris on this, I think chocolate milk is great but I would say if you could get chocolate skim milk that would be even better but it is hard to find a product like that unless you just mix your own, muscle milk and most of the other similar products unfortunately have some scary amounts of heavy metals in them (according to a consumer reports study)

DriskellHR
choking on it

Post by DriskellHR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 am

Chocolate milk? No shit. What is it about the chocolate that makes it better for this then regular whit milk? Do they add protein? I drink about 2 gallons a week and I've been wondering if it was too much (I like milk).
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am

heavyc wrote:scin, the cheese sticks have a nice amount of protein but that amount of fat will really slow down the digestion process which will delay getting those carbs and protein into your muscles that need to recover, I agree with Kris on this, I think chocolate milk is great but I would say if you could get chocolate skim milk that would be even better but it is hard to find a product like that unless you just mix your own, muscle milk and most of the other similar products unfortunately have some scary amounts of heavy metals in them (according to a consumer reports study)

Good point about the fat. I've just been eating the cheese in place of my 5:00 protein bar since it's the same amount of fat and protein but way less sugar.
For recovery I use Endurox. I sip the "pink juice" while working out but never really drink it directly after a workout. Could be placebo but I feel like it helps.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 am

Decided to do some research....

Amino acid supplements and recovery from high-intensity resistance training.(Author abstract)(Report).

Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 24.4 (April 2010): p1125(6).
Hide details
Show details
Author(s): Carwyn P.M. Sharp and David R. Pearson.

Abstract:

The purpose of this study was to investigate whether short-term amino acid supplementation could maintain a short-term net anabolic hormonal profile and decrease muscle cell damage during a period of high-intensity resistance training (overreaching), thereby enhancing recovery and decreasing the risk of injury and illness. Eight previously resistance trained males were randomly assigned to either a high branched chain amino acids (BCAA) or placebo group. Subjects consumed the supplement for 3 weeks before commencing a fourth week of supplementation with concomitant high-intensity total-body resistance training (overreaching) (3 x 6-8 repetitions maximum, 8 exercises). Blood was drawn prior to and after supplementation, then again after 2 and 4 days of training. Serum was analyzed for testosterone, cortisol, and creatine kinase. Serum testosterone levels were significantly higher (p <: 0.001), and cortisol and creatine kinase levels were significantly lower (p < 0.001, and p = 0.004, respectively) in the BCAA group during and following resistance training. These findings suggest that short-term amino acid supplementation, which is high in BCAA, may produce a net anabolic hormonal profile while attenuating training-induced increases in muscle tissue damage. Athletes' nutrient intake, which periodically increases amino acid intake to reflect the increased need for recovery during periods of overreaching, may increase subsequent competitive performance while decreasing the risk of injury or illness.

More to come...

climb2core
Loser
Loser

Post by climb2core » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 am

Acute effects of chocolate milk and a commercial recovery beverage on postexercise recovery indices and endurance cycling performance.(Report).

Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 34.6 (Dec 2009): p1017(6). (4990 words)
Author(s): Kelly Pritchett, Philip Bishop, Robert Pritchett, Matt Green and Charlie Katica.

Abstract:

To maximize training quality, athletes have sought nutritional supplements that optimize recovery. This study compared chocolate milk (CHOC) with a carbohydrate replacement beverage (CRB) as a recovery aid after intense exercise, regarding performance and muscle damage markers in trained cyclists. Ten regional-level cyclists and triathletes (maximal oxygen uptake 55.2 [+ or -] 7.2 mL x [kg.sup.-1] x [min.sup.-1]) completed a high-intensity intermittent exercise protocol, then 15-18 h later performed a performance trial at 85% of maximal oxygen uptake to exhaustion. Participants consumed 1.0 g carbohydrate x [kg.sup.-1] x [h.sup.-1] of a randomly assigned isocaloric beverage (CHOC or CRB) after the first high-intensity intermittent exercise session. The same protocol was repeated 1 week later with the other beverage. A 1-way repeated measures analysis of variance revealed no significant difference (p = 0.91) between trials for time to exhaustion at 85% of maximal oxygen uptake (CHOC 13 [+ or -] 10.2 min, CRB 13.5 [+ or -] 8.9 min). The change in creatine kinase (CK) was significantly (p < 0.05) greater in the CRB trial than in the CHOC trial (increase CHOC 27.9 [+ or -] 134.8 U x [L.sup.-1], CRB 211.9 [+ or -] 192.5 U x [L.sup.-1]), with differences not significant for CK levels before the second exercise session (CHOC 394.8 [+ or -] 166.1 U x [L.sup.-1], CRB 489.1 [+ or -] 264.4 U x [L.sup.-1]) between the 2 trials. These findings indicate no difference between CHOC and this commercial beverage as potential recovery aids for cyclists between intense workouts.