Call for Stories

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

Re: Call for Stories

Postby TradMike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I rolled my ankle a few years back 2 weeks before my trip to do the Regular Route on Halfdome. I had trained for a year to be ready. It seemed like a major bummer. My ankle swelled big time and had a purple bruise that was half dollar.

I didn't rip bone but I swear by the active healing. I tried walking on it right away after I did it. Just to try to walk it off. It was painful but I think it saved me in the long run. Swelling went down in a week and by week two almost pain free.
TradMike
BAM!

Postby dustonian » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I nailed a ledge pretty low on the Salathe Wall (pitch 8 or so?), got flipped, and narrowly missed hitting a lower ledge with my head--thanks to Shipoopi for a great, albeit somewhat delayed catch. Anyway, the ankle was pretty f'ed up it was obvious, but I was way "SIKED" to do the Triple Direct in a day... since we already seemed fairly "close"--i.e. awake, racked up, slightly hazed--I couldn't quite bring myself to bail (admittedly, the sun had barely risen and there were still 20+ pitches to go). We continued to the top in a sluggish 20-something hours, and I hobbled down the East Ledges all gimpy. I couldn't walk the next day and was barely limping on the 2nd, and by the 3rd I was (kind of) climbing on it. Didn't have health insurance so I'll never know if it was fractured or not.

Hm, so what was the point... oh yeah, I guess that when it comes to ankles you can put up with pain if you're really SIKED enough to do something. Mine healed slowly over the next 2 or 3 months, and now 3 years later I can't even remember which one I hurt...

Not a very helpful story I guess, sorry. In any case I think Mike's probably right about light use after an injury if you can stand it. The chipped bone could be a complicating factor in your case though. Sorry it happened at a bad time.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby ynp1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Check this story out,

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... eft-to-Die

He is a good friend of mine and, i and many of his friends told him to go to the doctor and have it checked out...

Good luck on your recovery! I am sure you will be back at it soon.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
ynp1
still a dumbass

Postby dustonian » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Damn, I really feel lucky now. Sorry to hear about what happened to Dean, he's a super nice guy.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby caribe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 am

ynp1 wrote:http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1608543/Left-to-Die . . . He is a good friend of mine and, i
Wow, that could have happened to me various times in the soccer injuries I incurred over the years. Lesson learned! Pain is a notice, it is not a spice.
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby caribe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am

ynp1 wrote:http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1608543/Left-to-Die . . . He is a good friend of mine and, i
Wow, that could have happened to me various times in the soccer injuries I incurred over the years. Lesson learned! Pain is a notice, it is not a spice.
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby Clevis Hitch » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 am

Tough girls are tough because they're tough.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Clevis Hitch
My Name is Joe.

Postby Meadows » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Woah! Injured, huh? Excuse me, Natalie, but are we to believe you have been known to climb while intoxicated?

Wishing you a speedy recovery! You know that I've wrecked my ankles a number of times (18 times actually) and I found that a nice steak with wine helped me.
Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Postby Yasmeen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 am

Meadows wrote:Woah! Injured, huh? Excuse me, Natalie, but are we to believe you have been known to climb while intoxicated?

Wishing you a speedy recovery! You know that I've wrecked my ankles a number of times (18 times actually) and I found that a nice steak with wine helped me.

\apathetic shrug
I never said I was a role model.

Thanks, Meadows - that made for a hearty breakfast!
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Postby KD » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 pm

I once had an ankle injury and it was real real bad and I paid a preacher on the radio 100.00 dollars to say a prayer to Jesus for me and he did and it got better over night! It was a miracle! You have to put your hand on the radio when he says your prayer and you can feel the electricity from Jesus go into your body. It is so awesome! jesus is really cool. Thank you Jesus!
KD
Pooparazzo

Postby tpowell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 am

I jacked up my ankle in the gym about a year ago. Tore two ligaments and had three avulsion fractures. After a week of sitting on the couch I said to hell with it and got back to climbing. I campused pretty much everything for about two weeks before I could put weight back on that ankle.
tpowell
Gumby
Gumby

Postby clif » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 pm

i believe in active recovery for ankles at least. as a little guy i used to get thrown around under the hoop playing basketball all the time but eventually just kept playing through the sprains and soon enough (~year @3x a week) it seems i grew strong enough. years later no ill side effects.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
clif
Loser
Loser

Previous

Return to Training/Nutrition/Injuries