Ground fall 11-21-12

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

Re: Ground fall 11-21-12

Postby chriss » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 am

camhead wrote:Any more details? Route? Circumstances?

Any more info on the accident? Anything that we can learn from? Saw the ambulances on our drive out. Happy to hear that the climber is recovering!
chriss
Parasite

Postby kneebar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 am

No word on what happened".........I don't know anyone involved so let's just be asses as usual and start speculating and making up stories. I'll start, the belayer was using a reverse loaded gri-gri while hanging out in the hammock petting his aggressive dog, eating a snicker bar and checking out the ladies right before he fell fast asleep. The leader forgot to tie in and thought he was on a toprope after consuming a tasty magic brownie. Seems logical and a totally believable story.

But seriously, have a speedy recovery.
kneebar
Closet Renaissance Hardman

Postby rjackson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Seems this site is now rife with concern about safety and this would be an excellent opportunity for education and analysis. We all learn from mistakes...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Postby tbwilsonky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:54 pm

i assumed it was gri-gri camping (which seems to be the standard for 'experienced' belayers), but - shockingly - it wasn't. from what i've pieced together, it appears the belayer's feeding hand was on the rope and prevented the gri-gri from camming when the leader fell. the only thing slowing the fall was rope/skin friction.

glad he's not hurt worse and hope he has a speedy recovery.
haunted.
tbwilsonky
Chuck

Postby SCIN » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 pm

That's what you call GriGri Freeze.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
SCIN
BANNED

Postby Cromper » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 pm

SCIN wrote:That's what you call GriGri Freeze.

Is that what the new model is called?
Cromper
Poser
Poser

Postby climb2core » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm

TW, facts are not correct from what I heard. But it is not my place to comment with 3rd hand info
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Postby tbwilsonky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 am

i made the initial jump with 4th hand info. thats kinda the 'thing' with the internet: everyone has a place to comment.
haunted.
tbwilsonky
Chuck

Postby foo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey guys, its Saifu. I figured I should fill people in on what happened (first hand accounts are a little more reliable than fourth hand). I took a lead fall trying to clip the fifth bolt on Fire and Brimstone. I landed on my back and ended up with a fracture in my pelvis and 7 compression fractures in my spine. Thanks to everyone at the crag who took care of me while we waited for the ambulance. My belayer was using a cinch, not a gri gri, and I was climbing on a 10.1 mm rope. At this point I can't say whether it was user error or device failure; I haven't seen my equipment since the fall so when I'm all healed up I figure I'll check out the belay device and do some investigating. Sorry I can't be more informative but I don't want to make any conclusions until I get a better idea of what happened. I'm healing up well though, 6-12 weeks using a back brace and walking around like an old person and I should be ready to start working back into shape. The amazing support from the community has definitely helped.
foo
Gumby
Gumby

Postby climb2core » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I know people swear by their cinch, but to me it just seems like it the device is extra prone to belayer error/failure.

Hope you heal quickly!
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Postby camhead » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 pm

foo wrote:My belayer was using a cinch, not a gri gri, and I was climbing on a 10.1 mm rope. At this point I can't say whether it was user error or device failure; I haven't seen my equipment since the fall so when I'm all healed up I figure I'll check out the belay device and do some investigating.

Whoa, glad you did not get hurt worse than you did, good luck on the mending process.

And forget about checking your equipment; I'm sure it is fine. Check and see if you belayer has rope burns on his/her feeder hand (probably the left).
faceholdonacrackclimbDAB!
camhead
Poser
Poser

Postby climb2core » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm

camhead wrote:
foo wrote:My belayer was using a cinch, not a gri gri, and I was climbing on a 10.1 mm rope. At this point I can't say whether it was user error or device failure; I haven't seen my equipment since the fall so when I'm all healed up I figure I'll check out the belay device and do some investigating.

Whoa, glad you did not get hurt worse than you did, good luck on the mending process.

And forget about checking your equipment; I'm sure it is fine. Check and see if you belayer has rope burns on his/her feeder hand (probably the left).

Camhead, is the correct assumption of what you are saying...

Burn on feeder hand only, bad belay.
Burn on break hand or both, well not as obvious.
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Postby camhead » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

climb2core wrote:
camhead wrote:

Camhead, is the correct assumption of what you are saying...

Burn on feeder hand only, bad belay.
Burn on break hand or both, well not as obvious.

Yes, and especially in the case of gri gris or cinches; with those devices, when you instinctively grab the rope with your feeder hand, their brakes will very likely not engage. It's the most common type of "gri gri malfunction" that I've seen in my experience.
faceholdonacrackclimbDAB!
camhead
Poser
Poser

Postby pigsteak » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

heal fast saifu!!!!
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Postby cliftongifford » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am

climb2core wrote:I know people swear by their cinch, but to me it just seems like it the device is extra prone to belayer error/failure.

Every device is extra prone to belayer error/failure. Grigri, cinch, SUM, etc. They're all the same. You can fuck up belaying with any of them.
cliftongifford
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

PreviousNext

Return to Training/Nutrition/Injuries