Lower Back Pain

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

Lower Back Pain

Postby Josephine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Any ideas how to get rid of it?

It started in the beginning of December after I started p90x for the 3rd time. I wasn't out of shape when I started and I didn't go at it full-force for the first few weeks. But once it started, it hasn't left me. Not when I quit p90. Not when I tried massage. Not when I tried acupuncture. Not when I didn't carry my back pack for a month.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Re: Lower Back Pain

Postby agdenm2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm

One of the best things I ever did for my body was going through the entire "X stretch" dvd every day. I swear by it
agdenm2
Gumby
Gumby

Postby dustonian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 pm

strengthen your core.
dustonian
BANNED

Postby toad857 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 pm

lots of water, and long routine stretches

and it's hard to be patient enough to warm up properly
toad857
Loser
Loser

Postby tpowell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm

I had the same problem over the summer, lifting boxes for the evil corporation known as GFS. My dad used to have really bad lower back pain and he gave me a booklet that showed me what to do. Essentially it says that lower back pain can be caused by an imbalance of core strength to back strength. Since people like to admire themselves in the mirror they have really strong cores but a very weak back, which leads to shearing forces between back muscles and core muscles (or something complicated like that). This is what causes the lower back pain. So I started doing exercises that build lower back strength along with daily stretching and I'm fine now. Start of with supermans and similar exercises that utilize body weight, and then move into using weights if the problem persists. I don't use weights but apparently if you want a mad strong back, that's the way to do it. Stretching is also fantastic. The prayer stretch, the cat stretch, and hugging your knees to your chest work great.
tpowell
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Josephine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:39 pm

ok - i get that there's a strength imbalance between back and core - but which do I need to strengthen? how do I figure it out? i did 5 weeks of p90 (over the past 12 weeks (took more rest days due to illness and then injury) so I thought that would work on both back and core. i admit though - i did skip out on several ab rippers so maybe my core is my problem. i also know right now that the "in and outs" and "crunch frogs" are too painful for me to attempt.

tpowell - do you know what the name of the book is?

at this point i'm game to try anything as long as this constant ache goes away! :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Postby tpowell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 pm

It wasn't a book, it was more of a packet that he got from his physical therapist way back in the 90's. In any case, it worked for me. I've never done p90x, so I'm not sure where your imbalance may lie. However, when my back was giving me problems in and outs killed for me too. Once I started stretching and exercising my back it started getting a lot better. A quick google search brought me to this

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-p ... _D&slide=3

These are essentially the same stretches that I did. In addition to the stretches, I worked on trying to keep better posture. Before I started climbing I weighed about 125 and now i weigh in at about 165. This weight gain has wreaked havoc on my posture, and I noticed that I slouched when I sat and stood. So I started sitting and standing with a straighter back which I think has helped strengthen my back considerably. I don't know if you have the same issue, but it's another possibility to take into account. Also, stretch your hammies. That proved to be the quickest pain reliever for me. Just stretch them for about 5 to 10 minutes before you warm up and it'll help wonders.
tpowell
Gumby
Gumby

Postby kdelap » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Before you do any of that...

Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefi ... 1609611004

If you get it in iBooks in is interactive.

I know of many pro athletes as well as mountain guides who are doing this and have prevented surgeries
kdelap
Sublime

Postby kdelap » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Oh yea, and I use it...

I have had a bulging disk between L4 and L5.
kdelap
Sublime

Postby Saxman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

kdelap wrote:Before you do any of that...

Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefi ... 1609611004

If you get it in iBooks in is interactive.

I know of many pro athletes as well as mountain guides who are doing this and have prevented surgeries

Think I am going to pick this one up. Thanks.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Postby tbwilsonky » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

muscle imbalance. actually surprised this isn't more pervasive amongst the ab-savvy climbing throng. if it were my back I would look up back levers and start ticking through the progression.
haunted.
tbwilsonky
Chuck

Postby Skeptic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Opposing muscle groups are important to work on for sure. However, if you are in pain, doing this can be a challenge. You should consult your doctor about "diclofenac" which is a powerful anti inflammatory frequently used for pain reduction and to facilitate musculoskeletal healing. It is particularly suited to those "hard to reach" muscle groups in the lower back. I was immobilized by lower back pain,took diclofenac, and found myself virtually pain free in just two days. This allowed me to begin working opposing muscles... (however, being a very powerful NSAID, it is not to be used long term)
Skeptic
Gumby
Gumby

Postby climb2core » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Treatment without a diagnoses tends to not work out so well.
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Postby caribe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I have a bulging disk between L3 and L4, and L4 and L5. Like an alcoholic, it assists in management if I admit it's chronic. Stretching the Hammies is super important. Get on your back. Lift your leg up to near 90°. Straighten the knee. Hold for 50 min. Repeat with other leg. Then 2 more sets. You won't do this well at first. To aid in the leg lift use a runner loop intermittently if needed. This hamstring stretch keeps the affected section of the spine aligned and supported. Don't push this exercise hard when you begin. Allow yourself to improve. Download an exercise timer to your phone. Put this on your calendar to do with your coffee ritual.
caribe
Archer Jerry

Postby ted » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 pm

A strong workout that involves olympic lifts (deadlift, power clean, snatch) in moderation after a good joint rotation and warm up has help me the most I think. But an hour a weedeating or using the chainsaw still puts me down for a day or two. Im starting to think that once the back trouble arrives its here to stay, you just have to be really careful from that point on. But on the bright side, Ive never had back pain while climbing!
ted
Gumby
Gumby

Next

Return to Training/Nutrition/Injuries