Elbow tendonitis/tendonosis

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
rockin78
Gumby
Gumby

(elbow) tendonitis

Post by rockin78 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 am

I found that extra doses of glucosamine in your daily diet works wonders!! I use the e-mergency vitamin drink mix with added glucosamine about 3-4 times a week. Daily pills can be found as well. On occasion taping above and below the elbow (putting just enough pressure on the tendons) helps to prevent some of the strain. The pain and inflammation has decreased substantially since last summer. :wink:

Wolf
Poser
Poser

Re: Elbow tendonitis/tendonosis

Post by Wolf » Mon May 21, 2007 10:37 am

Basically, you do reverse wrist curls, with a fairly heavy weight, and instead of curling the weight back up, pick it up with the opposite hand, so as not to engage the muscle so much.

I'm not sure I've got a clear picture of what you mean. Do you mean instead of curling the weight back down, pick it up with the opposite hand? Or are you doing a full wrist curl then doing one with the other hand and alternating? Are you doing the wrist curls with a full range of motion from wrist hanging down to wrist pointing up, or from wrist straight to wrist pointing up?

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 pm

Forearm on knee... palm up. Start with the weight at the top of the motion (forearm flexed), and let it down slowly, your fingers uncurling as it lowers. Then pick it up with the other hand, so as to not engage the muscle. Repeat.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

Wolf
Poser
Poser

Post by Wolf » Mon May 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks. I'll try that.
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html

Shamis
bottom feeder

Post by Shamis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

I used to have horrible elbow tendonitis. I'll have to try these reverse wrist curls..

But for me the key was to do very extensive warmups everytime I climbed. And to stop climbing hard whenever I had a flareup, followed by ICE.

I used to use a lot of anti-inflammatories, and they help a lot, but warming up and icing afterwards did more than anything else. I also did a lot of pushups. All of the overuse type injuries I've ever had went away by working opposing muscles.

mcrib
(from the board)

Post by mcrib » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:16 pm

I stopped throwing rocks as hard as I could while not climbing and it went right away. So if you like seeing how far you can throw something and your elbows hurt like hell try not throwing for a while.
"I just want to disappear"

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 pm

re-reading this thread this seems to be mostly curative advice - as in a person already has elbow plms and does the reverse wrist curls.

do you think this will work to PREVENT elbow issues? i'm fairly new to climbing/bouldering and have NO elbow plms (knock on wood) - but as i start bouldering more i'm a bit concerned and looking for ways to minimize any future plms.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Yeah... I think it will. It engages the tendons, allowing them to strengthen without building muscle at the same time.

So, my uneducated bet is yes.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com