Concept2 ERG

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
Day
Gumby
Gumby

Concept2 ERG

Post by Day » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:28 am

I got a Concept2 rowing machine (ERG) about a week ago. It provides a killer good workout. I couldn't be happier with how things are going so far. For those of us that find it hard to schedule sufficient exercise time during the short days of winter it's extremely convenient to just roll out of bed, have a cup of coffee, then get on the machine.

The biggest challenge for me is to contain my enthusiasm. I'm sure it's important to lay down a foundation of fitness before one goes at it too hard in order to avoid injury. Have no doubt, you can work out on these machines at whatever level you desire.

dmw
A Work of Art

Post by dmw » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:34 am

I spent many hours on that Ergometer in high school for when the river was too gnarly for the team to row. They are indeed a good workout, but I have seen lots of people use improper technique, which can really screw up your lower back....

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:39 am

they just seem really boring, i tend to use other stuff at the gym but i suppose they work out the upper and lower body nicely
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

dmw
A Work of Art

Post by dmw » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:59 am

they are less boring when your coach is screaming down your neck POWER TEN!

Day
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Day » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 am

Good technique is certainly important. The training DVD that comes with the machine provides excellent instruction, so there's no reason to hurt your back. I'm more concerned about working up to high mileages too quickly and ending up with sore knees. Patience.

Boring? So what aerobic exercise isn't. You could always crank up the stereo, or earn your boob tube time by working out while you watch TV. Really, the ERG is most attractive when it's dark and cold outside and your workout options are limited.

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 am

right, fair enough. but i work out at a gym and get a better view of women running around the track from the elliptical cross trainer, it helps the time pass quickly
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 am

I guess I'm a freak but I actually enjoy trying to break an aerobic machine. Turn up the tunes, focus on the movement and meditate. It's some of the most productive "private" time I get.

Oh yeah, the Y got some new machines too so I'm pretty jazzed!

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am

Day wrote:Boring? So what aerobic exercise isn't. You could always crank up the stereo, or earn your boob tube time by working out while you watch TV. Really, the ERG is most attractive when it's dark and cold outside and your workout options are limited.
I'm with you, Larry. I bought a spinning bike this winter, and it was worth every dollar. I can get up before going to work and log almost an hour of exercise, all while getting to listen to CDs from years ago that I don't otherwise hear anymore.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:31 am

Yeah, they are boring. I began to develop a taste for the pain. Watching the meters click by...
You get addicted to trying to get your times faster and faster.
Do you register your times on the concept 2 web site. It is kind of geeky, but it lets you know how you are progressing and how many meters you have logged.
I have said it before- absolutely the BEST cross training for climbing. Two months on an erg and you will break through to the next level.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

Day
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Day » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Gyms are good, especially the girl watching part. I just don't have the time for the round trip commute. It would add almost an hour of dead time to every workout. That's time that I just don't have to waste. Also, it's frustrating to stand around at the gymn waiting for an occupied station to become available.

Just like charlie and the lurkist, the dark side of the erg also appeals to me. There's something about the heroic effort of man against machine that takes you to a place where you can find out what you're made of. You know, John Henry, and all that stuff.

I haven't been registering my times on the concept2 website. I'm just too prideful to display my weakness for all to see. But the monitor on my machine logs every workout so that I can watch my progress.

Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Post by Saxman » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:44 pm

I think cycling is your best bet if you are trying to avoid boredom. As long as you keep taking new routes, it keeps the boredom somewhat at bay.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

Day
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Day » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Cycling is great. But few have the grits to be doing it outdoors at 6:00 a.m., in the dark,on ice and snow, at -5 degrees, on a typical Montana winter morning. After work it's just as dark, just as slick, and almost as cold. What we need is a velodrome. There was rumor of one planned for Bozeman a couple of years back. Sadly, it was just a rumor. Even if we had one it would be the same ol' roundy round, day in and day out. Spinning, or rollers, is where it's at in the wintertime here in the bozone. But still, no upper body workout with cycling. Try the ERG sometime. You might like it.

I think that if you're foul weather training consisted of spinning, rowing, and climbing at the gymn, you'd be one fit mother come spring.

the lurkist
In Crust We Trust

Post by the lurkist » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:20 am

I noticed on Mark Twight's site for his gym (in SLC?) as mentioned in another thread that in many of the bios of the members of the gym they mention as one of their fitness markers is their 2k and 5k row. Their times weren't that fast. The fastest I saw was 2k in just under 7 min.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie

TradMike
BAM!

Post by TradMike » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:28 am

Cross training does get you to the next level. I swim and bike. Swimming allows me to fly up cracks and laybacks. Biking makes the hike in with heavy loads not faze me plus stand around on crappy feet. I think low impact is key just like the rowing machine.

michellerossi25
Gumby
Gumby

Rowing!!

Post by michellerossi25 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:57 am

Love this thread. I rowed in high school and coached all through my undergrad. The concept 2 site is pretty great. You can find some great workouts on www.rowersworld.com or www.row2k.com. Also, the USRA webiste has all the rankings of the fastest 2k times.

Heres a couple of my favorite workouts...

6 X 2000 meters. If you can find someone crazy enough to do it with you. Use their time on the erg as your break.

5000, 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000. That's always a fun one!

2 minutes on 1 minute off X 10.

If you change up the rating that will also vary the workout. Keeping the rating at about a 22-24 is recommened on longer pieces. However, I keep about a 28 on my 2000 pieces.

Deficit Fatigue Tests are always fun too. Take your average 500 split and subtract 3 seconds off of it. Set the display to show your average 500 time and try to keep that average.

For example say your best 2k time is 8 minutes. Your average split would be 2 minutes. Minus 3 seconds=1.57

Start Rowing and after no longer than a minute or so see how long you can keep the split at 1.57.0 The stroke it pops up to 1.57.1 you have 3-5 strokes to drop it back down. If you dont then youre done.

This is a great way to drop your 2k time.

I could go on forever!....pm me if you would like more info!
PS Did you get the Model D?