beta/partners needed

Need a partner?

beta/partners needed

Postby greg78gs750 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi All,

I am headed down to the Red this weekend, sat. thru tuesday, to do some climbing with my family. I used to climb quite a bit and am getting back into it to introduce my love of mountains to the kids. I have been to the RRG years ago but was hoping for some beta....

1. We will be doing easy/moderate stuff, what is the culture like with respect to letting others catch a ride on toprope? Our local area (such that it is in michigan, lolz) has a very welcoming informal policy of letting folks jump on a toprope if it isnt in use....Since I will be with the kids and my leading is not what it used to be, some pre-set topropes would be....convenient.

2. It's looking cold this week, any easy/moderate crags that are sunnier than others?

3. Where is a good spot to head to? I have the older Ellington guidebook from 2005, but a lot has changed since then.... As stated, we will have 3 lil' uns with us, ages 9, 8, and 5, all have climbed before, but.....with kids there is always potential for extra noise/nuisance....

4. Would anyone be up for joining us? I am pretty well geared up with 2 60 m single ropes, 2 1/2 ropes (good for topropes for the kiddies) and a pretty full trad rack, so gear is not really an issue, BUT an extra set of hands and a rope-gun (is that still a term?) is awesome to have around!!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!!!

Greg Anderson
greg78gs750
Gumby
Gumby

Re: beta/partners needed

Postby wildhanimal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

Of course everyone is different, but I would not personally ever ask to jump on another party's toprope. Nor would I be very comfortable with a stranger asking to use my rope. The bigger issue here is that if you're at a crowded crag, no one should ever be leaving a rope hanging on a route unused. Running through someone else's draws with your own rope is somewhat more common.

Bruisebrothers Wall in Muir Valley has some easy & moderate routes, and gets all day sun.
Muir Valley has several kid-friendly crags. 'Practice Wall' might also be a good place to start.

Have fun!
wildhanimal
Gumby
Gumby

Postby OMP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Second the Bruise Bros. comment. Even has a fun little trad route to play with.
Have fun! Glad to hear you're getting your kids out. :D
OMP
Gumby
Gumby

Postby greg78gs750 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for the replies, every area is a bit different, so I figured I'd ask. Won't be long and the kids will be climbing harder than me, won't take much these days..... Here's hoping the weather forecast is pessimistic....
greg78gs750
Gumby
Gumby

Return to Hooking Up