A Very Special Announcement

Posts here will show on front page
ReachHigh
Don's Love Child

Re: A Very Special Announcement

Post by ReachHigh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 pm

dustonian wrote:
TradMike wrote:Thanks for all the hard work. The PMRP and MFRP are perfect in my eyes. The RRGCC is doing a great job with what they have to work with. Thanks again for all you do, much appreciated.
+1
I'm jumping on this bandwagon too, climbing access is the first and most important thing the RRGCC can do and has done just this with this purchase.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm

ReachHigh wrote:
dustonian wrote:
TradMike wrote:Thanks for all the hard work. The PMRP and MFRP are perfect in my eyes. The RRGCC is doing a great job with what they have to work with. Thanks again for all you do, much appreciated.
+1
I'm jumping on this bandwagon too, climbing access is the first and most important thing the RRGCC can do and has done just this with this purchase.
I really appreciate everyone jumping on the bandwagon to say we're doing a great job. That makes me smile. :D But what will make me grin ear to ear and jump up and down will be for 2 things to happen:

1. Every person that says they support the RRGCC set up a RECURRING donation - $10, $15, $20, $25, or more! - each month. Whatever you can afford. When you handle your budget at your house, you can do so because you have a relatively good idea of how much money you expect to get each month. The RRGCC needs that same base of stability so we can schedule these projects and know we will have income to pay for them.

2. For 15 people to come forward that have never lead a trail crew before, take the class, and then pick out a project they would like to lead and lead a trail day that is SEPARATE from JATD (as well as one AT JATD!) Now THAT would be something! Remember when you lead your own trail day, you can pick a small project such as building a culvert, ramp, clearing brush, etc and still climb after it's done. With 15 people doing this, a LOT would get accomplished and would be amazing!
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

bentley
The Man

Post by bentley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:56 am

RRO wrote:...access to about 40ish great routes already developed with potential ...
when are these going to be in the guidebook?

jk
training is for people who care, i have a job.

DriskellHR
choking on it

Post by DriskellHR » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 am

Working on that man. We just acquired the land. There a few things that we need to lock down first but they will be published soon. Just a little patience folks, the BOD is in full swing and we are working hard to get all that info to you!
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker

lena_chita
Poser
Poser

Post by lena_chita » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 am

Josephine wrote:
I really appreciate everyone jumping on the bandwagon to say we're doing a great job. That makes me smile. :D But what will make me grin ear to ear and jump up and down will be for 2 things to happen:

1. Every person that says they support the RRGCC set up a RECURRING donation - $10, $15, $20, $25, or more! - each month. Whatever you can afford. When you handle your budget at your house, you can do so because you have a relatively good idea of how much money you expect to get each month. The RRGCC needs that same base of stability so we can schedule these projects and know we will have income to pay for them.
I just did!

The trail day in August always happens on the weekend when I am heading out of town with the kids. Don't really have the flexibility to change the schedule there. :( But working on it.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks Lena! We appreciate the help.

With having more people capable of running trail days, we're hoping to have many more throughout the year so hopefully you'll be able to make one of those :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun

krampus
Snake Charmer

Post by krampus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

I have an idea. What if those who are experienced in choosing where the trail should go can mark where the trail needs to go, then people can spend 5 to 30 minutes each time they head to a wall helping make the trail better. Of course most will not help, but I think if the word got out and there was an easy way to convey what the intentions for the path are, that several people would help when they can. It would give me a good reason to start bringing my machete again.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared

dustonian
BANNED

Post by dustonian » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Good idea Joel! Some of the crags already have decent trails and a few of them are blazed with plastic markers.

SpikySkaKid
Gumby
Gumby

Post by SpikySkaKid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Speaking of trail days, I plan on coming down with a small group from Michigan to help with the trail day in August. Do we sign up somewhere or just show up? This is my second season climbing at the RED and I figured it was time to help out as well, since I enjoy the Access every time I visit.

Josephine
Mean like vegetables

Post by Josephine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm

SpikySkaKid wrote:Speaking of trail days, I plan on coming down with a small group from Michigan to help with the trail day in August. Do we sign up somewhere or just show up? This is my second season climbing at the RED and I figured it was time to help out as well, since I enjoy the Access every time I visit.
We will be excited to have you! We have not opened the online registration yet and hope to have it up and running by the end of next week. :-) You'll see a notice on here once it's up and running

woodchuck008
Whiney Bitch

Post by woodchuck008 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Is ANY of Miller Fork open to use yet, or just limited to in-progress route developers access? Will a very clear and accurate map be placed here on site for locating it? I'm not down to southern region enough to have any idea where it is. Get the idea it's almost in Beattyville and not near PMRP by miles and miles. Hope on line wall locations, directions, all that stuff is coming I imagine, but was hoping to at least hike and visit the general region during the upcoming RocktoberFest week when I have days available for an adventure hike. So what's up with access, directions, parking and such things? Anybody know?

qmhill
Gumby
Gumby

Post by qmhill » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 pm

woodchuck008 wrote:Is ANY of Miller Fork open to use yet, or just limited to in-progress route developers access? Will a very clear and accurate map be placed here on site for locating it? I'm not down to southern region enough to have any idea where it is. Get the idea it's almost in Beattyville and not near PMRP by miles and miles. Hope on line wall locations, directions, all that stuff is coming I imagine, but was hoping to at least hike and visit the general region during the upcoming RocktoberFest week when I have days available for an adventure hike. So what's up with access, directions, parking and such things? Anybody know?
Of course it's open. You own it.

lena_chita
Poser
Poser

Post by lena_chita » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:22 pm

qmhill wrote:
woodchuck008 wrote:Is ANY of Miller Fork open to use yet, or just limited to in-progress route developers access? Will a very clear and accurate map be placed here on site for locating it? I'm not down to southern region enough to have any idea where it is. Get the idea it's almost in Beattyville and not near PMRP by miles and miles. Hope on line wall locations, directions, all that stuff is coming I imagine, but was hoping to at least hike and visit the general region during the upcoming RocktoberFest week when I have days available for an adventure hike. So what's up with access, directions, parking and such things? Anybody know?
Of course it's open. You own it.
Yes, it is open. That is, if you find someone who is willing to take you there (e.i. someone who has been there already), and your schedules and desires eventually co-incide. The people who are willing to take you there will NOT give you a map, for you to go on your own, because some other people were upset about topo maps or trails or crags being passed around, but they will totally, totally take you there, of course, absolutely! They eventually will.

There is also the option that dustonian likes to bring up. Everyone is absolutely free to get a GPS, start with a published aerial map, park somewhere in the general vicinity of the MFRP, and bushwhack around until they maybe find the crag that has been posted in online guide, sans directions, and get themselves oriented, sans pictures, and somehow miraculously get on the route that they actually wanted to get on. Or maybe just get on a random route. It is all an adventure, after all... they could even bolt a route for themselves. The "regular" developers will not be upset at all, no-no-no, it has never happened.

But if you happen to be someone who doesn't have a lot of time for climbing, and you are not willing to potentially lose a day bushwhacking around, because you only have 10 days of climbing at the Red for the entire fall, and those days are spread out in 2-day chunks here and there, then it is closed.

Not REALLY closed, but effectively closed. And if you complain about it-- gee, you are one of those people who require a lot of hand-holding and spoon-feeding! And you shouldn't be going to a new area, anyway, because they haven't made the handicap-accessible trails for you yet, and haven't put up the signs.

As you can tell, I am not upset about it, or anything... :twisted:

Cromper
Poser
Poser

Post by Cromper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Cheesus Christ.