Gear 4 rocks on ebay

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
itsclimbtime
Gumby
Gumby

Gear 4 rocks on ebay

Post by itsclimbtime » Tue May 20, 2008 7:02 pm

As I was on eBay I came across some cams that seem to good to be true. It seems that there is a company in Ukraine called gear 4 rocks that is selling cams for prices that are unheard of. Has anybody ever heard of or had any experience with them. Are they so cheap cuz they are junk or what.

Let me know so I don’t waste my time and money.

Thanks
How sweet it is
in those treasured moments
when our urban troubles can dissipate
and the only problem we need to solve
is the beta
that crimp
that sloper
that dyno
so here is to another season of cranking harder than you did in the last.

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Re: Gear 4 rocks on ebay

Post by bcombs » Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 pm

itsclimbtime wrote:I came across some cams that seem to good to be true...
yes

Cleveland
Wannabe Rock Junkie

Post by Cleveland » Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 pm

I don't know bcombs I bought my fiancee on ebay and she turned out to be ok, she was cheap too. :lol:
"Do it"

Danny
Ghost Climber

Post by Danny » Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 pm

post the link, its

Myke Dronez
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Myke Dronez » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 pm

http://stores.ebay.com/gear4rocks

You should buy them and test em' out for us...

I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather
have to pay a bit extra for peace of mind.
The only escape is up.

Danny
Ghost Climber

Post by Danny » Tue May 20, 2008 9:34 pm

With shipping the 4 BD-clones come out to about $46 each. I don't think new BDs are that much more and you can scrounge around and try and find a good deal or even get some used BDs on ebay. The new BDs are so smooth and light that it's worth the few extra dollars. That being said, if you must have X cams before Y days and only have Z dollars you got to do what you got to do. By the way you can always bounce test the shit out of a cam before you use it if you want to really know if it works.

ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Wed May 21, 2008 4:03 am

buy the Ticket take the Ride

dhoyne
Star Trek Kid

Post by dhoyne » Wed May 21, 2008 4:08 am

<quote>Recently gear4rocks initiate a certification procedure for this gear according to CE & UIAA standarts. Although at this moment we are unable to determine how much time all paperwork & testings will take, but as soon as such CE & UIAA testings will be done, and testing certificates will be issued with appropriate safety labels, this event will be properly reflected in gear4rocks auction descriptions & at gear4rocks web site. </quote>

I'd wait until they're certified before even thinking about it.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]

Rags
Great Exalted Guesser

Post by Rags » Wed May 21, 2008 4:39 am

don't cheap out on cams. Go BD or metolius. It's worth the extra bucks in the long run...

truello
Gumby
Gumby

Post by truello » Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 am

Not sure if these are "Petrenko" cams under a different name or not. Someone on rc.com bought a couple and pull-tested them and they actually had impressive results when compared to certified cams.

However, the difference is they're not subject to the rigorous quality control that cams such as BDs are. It's not exceedingly difficult to make a cam that can withstand 14kN of force, but its very difficult to make one that can do such time after time of people whipping on them. That is why I'd never skimp and buy these.

possum2082
Gumby
Gumby

Post by possum2082 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 am

danny, i was looking at them a few months ago...it wasn't near 46/cam. i'm not sure where your numbers come from.

i saw that ce/uiaa in pending thing...the co does have some eastern europe credentials on their site.

viamont makes some great gear. rc.com did test 1 krok/gear4rocks cam and it failed at 120% or so.

i think i'll wait for the ce/uiaa thing...they could be lieing (sic) about that...i dont' think there's a way to check ce cert pending status.

if you can...get a full set of aliens from rockempire for $200

Saxman
Poseur Jerry

Post by Saxman » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 am

I don't think I would trust cams from a company that doesn't have the budget to do the testing and engineering that Black Diamond and Metolius do.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.

itsclimbtime
Gumby
Gumby

Post by itsclimbtime » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 am

Hey thanks for all the great advice guys. I am just getting into trad so I’m still working on building a good rack to learn the ropes with, so this was like a dream being that my funds are kind of tight. Any of you got any ideas for building a low budget rack to learn with in the red?
How sweet it is
is the beta
that crimp
that sloper
that dyno

Danny
Ghost Climber

Post by Danny » Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 am

possum2082 wrote:danny, i was looking at them a few months ago...it wasn't near 46/cam. i'm not sure where your numbers come from.
I was looking at the set of 4 that have the BD double axle design: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Climbing-2-Axl ... m153.l1262

(150+35) / 4 = 46.25

itsclimbtime
Gumby
Gumby

Post by itsclimbtime » Wed May 21, 2008 10:56 am

<QUOTE> technical information, tests and certification

This gear has been tested at Ukrainian National Scientific-Certification centre "STANDART" in the capital of Ukraine - Kiev city. Every Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) piece must be tested in "STANDART" center to be legally distributed inside Ukraine. As soon as you request, we will scan and email you image of original testing certificate (russian language). Below we provide our translation of such testing certificate to english language to clarify how this gear has been tested and the results of such tests.

For toughness tests we use testing machine ZD-40. Testing methodic we use - static loading till cam will be damaged in any way. We test each size of cam five times and got the maxium load rates shown in the table below. The "strenght" for each cam size mean the maximum load of cam without any damage. For the cam #1 if you load it more that 13 kN then axles of cam will be damaged. For the cam #2, #3, #4 if you load them more that 16 kN then you will damage extending cams. In each case if you overload any cam and damage it, don't use it anymore. Don't try to repai it by yourself also.

As a part of gear4rocks quality control, each device is loaded for the half of its rate, then device working abilities checked again before it leaves factory.

# color size, mm
min/max
(open/close) strenght,
kN long,
mm weight,
kg.
1 red 35/60 13 165 0,175
2 blue 43/72 16 170 0,215
3 brown 52/87 16 185 0,240
4 cyan 105/65 16 215 0,295
Full Set 0,925

Recently gear4rocks initiate a certification procedure for this gear according to CE & UIAA standarts. Although at this moment we are unable to determine how much time all paperwork & testings will take, but as soon as such CE & UIAA testings will be done, and testing certificates will be issued with appropriate safety labels, this event will be properly reflected in gear4rocks auction descriptions & at gear4rocks web site.

Danny I thank this is the testing you are looking at right
How sweet it is
is the beta
that crimp
that sloper
that dyno