Gear 4 rocks on ebay

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
ahab
Star Trek Kid

Post by ahab » Wed May 21, 2008 11:40 am

not to be superficial or anything, but their logo makes it seem as though they may manufacture crayons as well. that kinda sealed the no deal for me. but hey, if you wanna fall on gear that has been tested at the "STANDART" facility and trust the "strenght" tests and never "try to repai it by yourself also" then you should be golden.
be sure to wear your helmet though...

buy the Ticket take the Ride

Danny
Ghost Climber

Post by Danny » Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 pm

itsclimbtime wrote:<QUOTE>Danny I thank this is the testing you are looking at right
They say they test each piece at half max which for these is about 6.5 KN which is about 1500 pounds. At least they seem to be testing each piece which CCC (aliens) apparently didn't do.

But what I was talking about is placing the cam in a crack yourself and having your heaviest buddy jump up and down in an aider or sling attached to it after telling him you'll give him $100 dollars if he can break the cam.

itsclimbtime
Gumby
Gumby

Post by itsclimbtime » Sat May 24, 2008 9:57 am

LOl now that is testing at its best :evil:
How sweet it is
in those treasured moments
when our urban troubles can dissipate
and the only problem we need to solve
is the beta
that crimp
that sloper
that dyno
so here is to another season of cranking harder than you did in the last.

MacGyver
Gumby
Gumby

Post by MacGyver » Tue May 27, 2008 11:43 am

I wouldn't buy them. It isn't just about the danger of the gear. I am wiling to pay a bit more for peace of mind. Think of it this way; when you are on the sharp end looking 20 feet down to your last placement, would you rather think about how much money you saved with the cheap cam, or how solid that BD C4 looks.
"Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy." - Homer Simpson

endercore
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by endercore » Tue May 27, 2008 1:02 pm

here are 5 cams for 60 bucks- thats much cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/escalada-alpinismo- ... otohosting

kidney_dave
Gumby
Gumby

Post by kidney_dave » Tue May 27, 2008 2:33 pm

stick with C4s or TCUs...they are the best...doubles in the fingers and hands and a set of stoppers should do you just fine...

cadmus
Gumby
Gumby

Post by cadmus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:39 am

I hate to bring this rather old thread to the top, but it was one I had bookmarked/followed long ago and it needs an update since gear4rocks got certification on some products several months ago. They claim on the website that they will be working on other product lines, I am guessing this is not a cheap process for a little East European startup company and that is likely the limiting factor. I can sympathize with that.
The website is here:
http://gear4rocks.com/
The “Linksâ€

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Listen to Danny. Buy BD. If you buy cheap cams you will just replace them down the road and spend even more. My Metolious rack is 10 years old and pretty worn out. The Bd's are still solid. I have a few odd cams that are just kinda OK. Why be cheap when your life depends on them?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

Xtant
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Xtant » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:00 pm

In soviet russia cams whip on you...
Sure is a lot of fun while you're doing it...

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:05 pm

het ynot, how can 10 year old cams be worn out? I didn't know traddies even fell on the gear..is that from opening beer bottles or something? :lol:
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

cadmus
Gumby
Gumby

Post by cadmus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:04 pm

ynot wrote:Listen to Danny. Buy BD. If you buy cheap cams you will just replace them down the road and spend even more. My Metolious rack is 10 years old and pretty worn out. The Bd's are still solid. I have a few odd cams that are just kinda OK. Why be cheap when your life depends on them?
Funny you say that. I have a set of OLD BDs that are in great shape. HEAVY. thick axles. Real old. Look suspiciously like the Ukrainian ones. I also have a set of BDs that are only 3 or 4 years old and I am sketched out by them, light weight, skinny axis, no way to inspect most of it. Same with my metolius and trangos. can't inspect 80% of it, a bunch of the cable is in a opaque sheath? Can’t service it. They ARE LIGHT, i can not complain about that. But I am not a young kid anymore, I don't need light. I appreciate the longevity of my heavy old BD that is part of the reason I ordered a set from gear4rocks. They look like my old gear. I know that sounds like i am a cranky old man...

Besides, every year I get caught halfway up a route in a thunderstorm, or I don't trust part of a rap route. I end up leaving gear, normally nuts, but gear all the same. I would rather leave a $25 cam than a $65 cam.

You have never seen these products, nor have I. Could be great, could be crap. We will see. But CE certification is CE certification.
Last edited by cadmus on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

michaelarmand
Goes down on Ann Coulter

Post by michaelarmand » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:26 pm

ynot wrote:Listen to Danny. Buy BD. If you buy cheap cams you will just replace them down the road and spend even more. My Metolious rack is 10 years old and pretty worn out. The Bd's are still solid. I have a few odd cams that are just kinda OK. Why be cheap when your life depends on them?
BD makes good cams...in China. I am pretty much done supporting BD.
I have owned a pair of cheap chech made rock empire cams for 7 years, I trust them. But it is your life - choose wisely!
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:32 pm

what's wrong with China? over the Czech republic, for instance?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

KD
Pooparazzo

Post by KD » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:12 pm

We makeah you right and functionar cam fol Amelican lock crimbels in the Led Liver Golge! Just as good as Brack Diamond or Metorius much much cheap yes? China Good Geal yes yes?

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

China? that sucks. Every time they out source something that was good it goes downhill. I really liked climbing on the c4's. They go in fast.
Danny, what kind of cam was it that umbrellaed on you on Fibrulator? just out of curiosity. That's the only time I have ever seen a cam wrecked in a fall. My cams are beat up from stuffing them in the pack in a heap I suspect. It's hard on the wires.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney