slings

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:28 pm

jordancolburn wrote:
512OW wrote:Oh, and nobody in hiphop has used a drum machine since the 80's. Learn your shit before you talk it....
What do you consider a drum machine? Most rap/hip hop beats are created on MPC's, which I consider drum machines. Sorry to go even further off topic, the music nerd in me had to.
Haha. An MPC is NOT a drum machine. An MPC is a sampler. Drum Machines had preprogrammed sounds. You couldn't sample into them and program the pads to be new sounds like on an MPC. The only drum machine I know of being used in hiphop is the old 808. The 808 sound is used ALOT, but is usually a digital sample of the actual 808 machine. I think Kanye used a real 808 for his recent album though, and Mannie Fresh uses one as well.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

schwagpad
innocent bystander

Post by schwagpad » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Doesnt MPC stand for

M-Multichannel
P-Programmable
C-Drum Machine

Ha! Gotcha there! Who knows their shit now?

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Haha. Nice.

Either that, or Music Production Center.
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

jordancolburn
Poser
Poser

Post by jordancolburn » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Music Production Center...couldn't be that. But my it lets you program in the rythyms like a drum machine, and plays them back like a drum machine, the difference is the audio source, one is synthesized(808 style) and one is sampled. Come to think of it, a lot of crappy drum machines are sample based, just not user editable like the MPC.

so......slings. :roll:

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:33 pm

But it's hard to get the good analog sounds of the 808, 909, and 303 out of today's samplers. I have an ASR-10, but it's not the same. I had a studio when I lived in Dayton that had an 808 and 303. Super fun to play with those. The 303 was purchased at a garage sale in the box with the manual for $25.00.

512OW
Master of My Own Reality

Post by 512OW » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:39 pm

bcombs wrote:But it's hard to get the good analog sounds of the 808, 909, and 303 out of today's samplers. I have an ASR-10, but it's not the same. I had a studio when I lived in Dayton that had an 808 and 303. Super fun to play with those. The 303 was purchased at a garage sale in the box with the manual for $25.00.
Agreed. The old drum machines are so limiting though. ASR-10's are nice as well. Alot of guys prefer those over MPC's. I've used both, but still prefer the digital platform, as most of the sound quality you get is lost in the mp3 world anyway...
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com

rjackson
Full of (sh)It

Post by rjackson » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm

charlie wrote: ...the stuff Leo Kottke or Bruce Cockburn are doing.
Always cool to see Bruce Cockburn mentioned.

I will (have to) accept that trad and sport grades are what they are, but damn. The best I can do to rationalize it these days is to make a comparison that it's like speed. 100 mph is 100 mph. Getting there on freshly paved asphalt with high banks at sea level is a lot different than getting there on a salt flat in a straight line at altitude.

Yeah it's the same speed, but it ain't the same...

(And slings are cool too.)
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad