Frenchburg Overhangs webbing

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
cramacam
Gumby
Gumby

Frenchburg Overhangs webbing

Post by cramacam » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Hey folks,
I just heard a report from a friend today that the piece of webbing at the top of Frenchburg Overhangs is almost worn through. He didnt have a piece with him to leave behind, so its still in crappy shape. Apparently, it isn't very obvious because its hidden by the knot. I'd run down there and replace it, but it looks like I wont be getting back to the Red for possibly a couple weeks. Just thought I'd throw it out there for all you people.

Myke Dronez
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Myke Dronez » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 am

weird- I climbed that in sept. and left new webbing and a quicklink at the top because there was none-
The only escape is up.

dhoyne
Star Trek Kid

Post by dhoyne » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:55 am

Last time I climbed it there wasn't any. I just set up a belay from the big tree.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]

L Day
Olds Cool

Post by L Day » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 am

Did your friend consider cutting down the manky piece of webbing? Especially since it looked like a trap waiting to kill somebody?

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Rodents. I left fresh webbing on a route at the Dome once. It was half chewed through six months later.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

Fartspray
I post pictures.

Post by Fartspray » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Traddies probably should carry webbing along with their Depends undergarments, large ball sacks etc. :oops:

spock
Gumby
Gumby

Post by spock » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm the one who found the webbing. I wanted to cut it down, but I didn't have a knife with me and it was dark when we topped out so we couldn't re-climb it. I did turn the bad spot to the front of the tree so it would be obvious to the next party to climb it. I'll definitely keep a knife and some webbing on my rack after seeing that.

L K Day
Olds Cool

Post by L K Day » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 am

Don't really need a knife. To untie even a rock hard knot, just pound on it with any sort of hammer ( a rock will do) or stand on the knot and roll it under your shoe for a few seconds, it will soften up and untie easily. You can cut through any piece of webbing, in seconds, with another piece of webbing. Use a vigorous sawing action. Yes, it's a good idea to carry at least a few full length runners on any route that's not a bolt clip. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just some suggestions.

spock
Gumby
Gumby

Post by spock » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:55 am

That's good to know. I beat on it with a sharp rock for awhile with out any luck.

dhoyne
Star Trek Kid

Post by dhoyne » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:43 am

L K Day wrote:You can cut through any piece of webbing, in seconds, with another piece of webbing. Use a vigorous sawing action.

Absolutely true. My instructor in J-Tree demonstrated this --- on a piece of brand new webbing, it took under 10 seconds to cut when rubbed with another piece of webbing.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]

olive
Gumby
Gumby

Post by olive » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 pm

We cut that one and replaced it with a new webbing this weekend (March 8, 09).

L Day
Olds Cool

Post by L Day » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks. My standard for webbing found in situ was to never trust a single piece, no matter how good it looked. I'd only trust a single piece if I was the one leaving it, right then. Otherwise, I'd add a piece, even if the original looked good. You never know the history of what you find in place.

RRO
Fluffy

Post by RRO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 pm

have saw the rodents chew through a rope overnight. check your stuff often esp if you are leaving fixed lines up to develop or take pics or whatever.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress