Tower of Power Repeated!

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
climb2core
Loser
Loser

Re: Tower of Power Repeated!

Post by climb2core » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am

Classic.

clif
Loser
Loser

Post by clif » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:23 am

some consider ron jeremy a legend
training is for people who care, i have a job.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 pm

He has a tiny pecker ....but I guess all things are relative.

LK Day
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by LK Day » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Wikipedia says this: "The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality." I'd say that fits perfectly - no need to misinterpret. For me Tower of Power is a classic example of old school, devil may care, red river gorge adventure climbing - where we sought out the steepest, most outrageous looking thing we thought we could lead and climbed it, no projecting, no drilled anchors, no whining, no excuses.

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:25 pm

More routes should have hype & lore, though.

It's a shame when an awesome, epic route is FA'ed... and then its description reads like stereo instructions. Do a good route justice and write a description that invokes magic, dragons, blurred vision, billy goats, nudity, etc. Give all of us toilet-readers something interesting while we're on the pot.

LK Day
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by LK Day » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:32 pm

It's obvious that "classic" means something at least a little different to all of us. I like what Bill Strachan said: "To me the number of people who have climbed a route has nothing to do with whether it is a classic. The aesthetic of the line itself, the moves, and its' place in the history and development of an area are what is important in defining a classic."

And Toad's right. We need more hype, more lore.

One-Fall
Good Egg

Post by One-Fall » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:01 pm

SCIN wrote:Is it really a classic if only 5 people have climbed it?
I know where you are going with this, Ray, but I'm going to misinterpret you on purpose.
Mercy the Huff would still be classic if only 5 people had climbed it, no?
Can't we all just get along?

SCIN
BANNED

Post by SCIN » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:39 am

Sorry guys, it's hard to write hype and lore for 60 foot sport climbs. Have at it though. There are no barriers to entry in the RRG guidebook market.

Lee, only 10 years later would it be a classic because enough time would have passed to trick the younger climbers into believing that.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio

toad857
Loser
Loser

Post by toad857 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 am

SCIN wrote:Sorry guys, it's hard to write hype and lore for 60 foot sport climbs.
You're just not drunk enough.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 am

I do take exception with all the first ascentionists calling their stuff "instant classic'. as a guy who has put up a few lines around here, I know as well as the next guy that we all have a certain fixation on our own lines...we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics. let the creme rise to the top wiht the mass voting. and then perhaps only less than 1 percent should be given the honorary title of classic. mr day, in the case of TOP are you infering that "classic' means old, ignored and rarely travelled?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 am

I don't know about all this Classic talk... but this thread makes me want to grow a pair and go try this thing!! :lol:

First things first, figure out how to not be a cripple anymore.

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 am

pigsteak wrote:we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics.
I know, right!? Waltz the Deal with that, pigsteak? ;)
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 am

Yasmeen wrote:
pigsteak wrote:we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics.
I know, right!? Waltz the Deal with that, pigsteak? ;)

exactomundo yas!
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

LK Day
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by LK Day » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm

"mr day, in the case of TOP are you infering that "classic' means old, ignored and rarely travelled?"

Piggie,
It's not my fault that so few have the balls to climb this route. I doubt that it's even 10c, but Hackworth, Johnny, and 5.10OW all backed off the second pitch. Pearsall followed me on the FA and loved it. Caribe followed on the second ascent and had this to say "This thing was awesome. I seconded the route. I'd like to put some work into it to clean it up. Truly an exceptional piece of nature and epic experience." Dan said something to the effect that it was one of the "most memorable" routes he's done, though not certain he'd call it a classic because of the first pitch. I think Dan did the first pitch left side in. I can't imagine doing it that way. Right side in it's way fun laybacking and jamming on rock that looks horrible and climbs great. Tower of Power is a classic old school fright-fest and few are up to the challenge. Nearly everyone that's actually climbed it thought it was a great experience. If it had bolts all the way it would probably be one of the most often climbed 5.10s in the RRG. As it stands, it provides an outstanding challenge for those that are up to it.
Last edited by LK Day on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.