Slab/Offwidth/Techy Dihedral: Hit me with your best/worst!!!

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?

Re: Slab/Offwidth/Techy Dihedral: Hit me with your best/wors

Postby gravitycoach » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Really interested in a report on Basecamp! Walked away completely baffled last fall :shock:
Alpine... to think, I could have just opted for anal sex and been done with it!
DMT
gravitycoach
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Crackhead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:38 pm

wide pride
Crackhead
Gumby
Gumby

Postby MrFizz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:35 pm

'Yuk' at long wall
What would crush with Arnold's tank?
MrFizz
Gumby
Gumby

Postby Jt300 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Trip Report Update:

The Quest: WOW. Stellar route. Truly incredible aesthetic climbing. The moves getting past the first roof after the first sandy ledge was awesome. And the second pitch (belayed from ledge then went for the summit) is easily my favorite pitch in the gorge because of the exposure traversing the roof while underclinging the finger crack then pulling the lip, just incredible! Made it clean to the roof then pulled the lip into the offwidth and began to become showered with water and did the best I could sliding my way up the slime and lichen. Ended up having to bail, just couldn't move up the last offwidth at all after making it up the first 2-3 ft after the lip. Super psyched on that thing, was awesome just "going for it" but will definitely look for a good dry weather opportunity to get that final off-width pitch.
"Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten"
Jt300
Gumby
Gumby

Postby LK Day » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Cool, Jt. When Pearsall and I did the first ascent we also found the final offwidth to be green and slimy, though not really what I'd call wet. Anyway, it had lots of slick green grown on it and I just couldn't get established above the roof without pulling up on a big hex that I was able to place overhead. Though we got to the top that day, I was living in Colorado at the time and never went back to the gorge to bag the FFA. No big deal, but I've regretted that decision to this day. I think it was five years later that Souders and company freed the last section.
LK Day
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Postby JR » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:57 pm

The biggest fish is always the one that got away.
JR
Official Route Quality and Grade Accuracy Analyst

Postby Rotarypwr345704 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 pm

LK Day wrote:Cool, Jt. When Pearsall and I did the first ascent we also found the final offwidth to be green and slimy, though not really what I'd call wet. Anyway, it had lots of slick green grown on it and I just couldn't get established above the roof without pulling up on a big hex that I was able to place overhead. Though we got to the top that day, I was living in Colorado at the time and never went back to the gorge to bag the FFA. No big deal, but I've regretted that decision to this day. I think it was five years later that Souders and company freed the last section.

So I'm going to momentarily give up my typical trolling behavior to say this:

Larry, if you ever decided to write a book on the early exploits in the Red River Gorge a la Steve Roper did for Yosemite in his book Camp IV I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't sell... Granted I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I can't get enough of that shit!
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
Rotarypwr345704
I said I'd donate $100 to the RRGCC, and nobody posted in the MF thread after I said that

Postby Willy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Rotarypower just had a good idea!?

I to would buy that book. Please dedicate a whole chapter to your first time up Caver's route with the big breasted lady.
Willy
Gumby
Gumby

Postby ynot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Mr. Day stories rule.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Postby Ascentionist » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 am

I'll ghost write it for you.