Chimney Top

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Lydia
Gumby
Gumby

Chimney Top

Post by Lydia » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:34 pm

Has anyone done True Grit (5.9) at Chimney Top? and if you have, do you know which dihedral it is, is the one on the right or the left as you approach the climb from the gulley?
I know someone that took a bad fall up there recently, just curious.
ALso does anyone know why Chimney Top is not listed in the Online Guidebook?
thanks

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:46 pm

Chimney Top is closed to climbing. Too many dead tourists. It is however a great place to stargaze.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

wanderer
Gumby
Gumby

Post by wanderer » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:19 am

That bites. I was interested in doing the tunnel route someday.

Wicked Tribe
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Wicked Tribe » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:32 am

Chimney Direct is pretty cool. Seemed a little sandbagged though. Always looked at Check Canopy but have never climbed it.
Do Not Spray Next 300 Feet

TradMike
BAM!

Post by TradMike » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:00 am

True Grit is right of the "Tunnel Route". Scramble up a gully to a ledge with a White Pine Tree. Climb the overhang to a ledge, then climb the dihedral over an overhang, last traverse right to easier climbing and gain the top.

It is only closed Memorial Day to Labor Day. They don't want you climbing under all of the tourons throwing bottles and cans off. That place is a junkyard down below.

Christian
Dharma Punk

Post by Christian » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:10 am

Would it be a good idea for a group of climbers to clean up some of the trash down there? I have not been there but it might be a good thing. Even if it doesn't directly relate to a climbing wall or approach path.
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu

kclimb
Gumby
Gumby

Post by kclimb » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:38 am

I think Christian has a great idea! This time of year would be perfect, too... nice and cool, less leaves so we could actually see all the trash to be cleaned up. I'm perfectly happy to give a few hours. It's just a good thing to do for the environment. Also, being a local, I feel that this is "our" gorge, meaning I take pride in it and don't mind putting in some time and effort to keep it nice. The tourists may not care as much as we do since they don't live here... but this is my home. :)

questions... I've only gotten to the bottom by rappelling. Is there a way to hike in? We'll have to get the bags of trash out the same way I suppose.
...when is a good time? The first weekend of December? Then go climbing with hand warmers?

Let me know...

Christian
Dharma Punk

Post by Christian » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:32 pm

I will help too. i could probably bring others from over here. Does anyone have any beta on how to get down there or could maybe organize this. Someone from the coalition?
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:15 pm

Rapping down is the only way I know of. Every time I did Tunnel we had to rap down and climb out. It really is a junkyard down there so it's gonna take quite a few bags to make a dent. Great idea, I can probably show you how to get down.

andy_lemon
Terminal n00b

Post by andy_lemon » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:50 pm

kclimb wrote:I've only gotten to the bottom by rappelling. Is there a way to hike in? We'll have to get the bags of trash out the same way I suppose.
Katie Brown... on your way down the approach trail, right before you reach the overlook, there is a shitty little path that leads to the base of the cliff on your right. It is a bit sketchy. I would assume rapping down is a safer alternative?

I believe Chimney Tops is open to climbing in the winter. If this is the case, Ray should add it to the online guide. I love spray... :)
Not a bitch.

captain static
Hippifried

Post by captain static » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:59 pm

According to the Climbing Management Guide the closure of Chimney Top is a seasonal restriction.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh

captain static
Hippifried

Post by captain static » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:05 pm

Whoops, sorry. Upon further research I found that the seasonal closure has been superceded by the following Forest Supervisor's Order:
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

UNITED STATES FOREST SERVICE

DANIEL BOONE NATIONAL FOREST

ORDER NO. 12-01-00

"RED RIVER GORGE GEOLOGICAL AREA"

Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C., Section 551, and Title 36 C.F.R., Section 261.50 (a), the following prohibitions apply to THE RED RIVER GORGE GEOLOGICAL AREA located on the Stanton Ranger District within the Daniel Boone National Forest. The area in question is depicted on the attached map.

Camping within 300 ft. of any developed road. 261.58(e).
Camping within 300 ft. of any developed trail. 261.58(e)
Camping within 600 ft. of Grays Arch. 261.58(e).
Climbing or repelling within 300 ft. of Sky Bridge, Grays Arch, Nada Tunnel or Chimney Top Rock overlook. 261.53(e)
The above prohibited acts are set forth in Title 36 C.F.R., Section 261.52, 261.53, and 261.58

Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. 261.50(e) the following persons are exempt from the above Prohibition:

Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force engaged in the performance of an official duty.

Prepared at Winchester, Kentucky
this 30th day of May, 2000.

BENJAMIN T. WORTHINGTON
Forest Supervisor

ORDER EXPIRES FIVE (5) YEARS FROM DATE OF SIGNATURE

Violations of the above prohibitions set forth above are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both.

Title 16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:27 pm

Like I said. It's closed. So much for rapping in to clean it up. Half moon needs cleaned up just as bad and it has a couple good lines. Full Moon is Stellar.

goodguy
Total Sandbagger

Post by goodguy » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:30 pm

What the hell! Answer the original question you bunch of lame asses.

She was wondering which crack is true grit. After you scramble up the gulley to the ledge is it the crack on the right or the left?

:?: :?: :?:
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.

littlefeller
Gumby
Gumby

Post by littlefeller » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:57 pm

You tell them goodguy.
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE.