Do you swing both ways?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?

what do you climb?

I lead both trad and sport
71%
I lead trad exclusively, and do not climb sport at all
1%
I lead sport exclusively, and do not climb trad at all
7%
I lead trad exclusively, but will top rope sport routes
No votes
I lead sport exclusively, but will top rope trad routes
16%
I don't lead anything, but top rope trad and/or sport
4%

Total votes: 69

Do you swing both ways?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:51 pm

I usually hate polls, but I'm curious about how many of us climb both trad and sport, and how many of us stick specifically to one style of climbing. I'm bi, for the purposes of this poll. :wink:

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:55 pm

I'm bi, for the purposes of this poll........cute very cute...

GWG
Sport Rappeller

Post by GWG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:58 pm

I mainly climb sport but have led trad once. Loved it and look forward to doing more of it as the opportunity presents itself.

jabbathehut
Gumby
Gumby

Post by jabbathehut » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:00 pm

I would be bi but I don't have easy access to any real tradys

Artsay
SCIN's

Post by Artsay » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:06 pm

jabbathehut wrote:I would be bi but I don't have easy access to any real tradys
It's funny how that works...
Once you start climbing trad they're EVERYWHERE! :P
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.

Yasmeen
"53><`/ 817(|-|"

Post by Yasmeen » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:09 pm

Definitely bi in this case. I'm so glad Loren convinced me to experiment! And I'm really thankful for everyone else who has let me use their toys to keep things interesting.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:10 pm

Both. I prefer trad, but I still love sport climbing. I think of it like a mistress. Bouldering too, but its more like the gimp.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

aaron

Post by aaron » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:11 pm

i climb both. enjoy trad more but end up climbing sport more. hope to od on trad this spring before YNP!

spuzo
GREAT set of baby bottles

Post by spuzo » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:14 pm

Can you guys tell me why you like one over the other? Just curious. Would that make me "bi-curious"? haha - sorry...that was pure cheese. But seriously, I would like to know why you like one over the other....do tell.
"I enjoyed a Guinness after I got back home from Palm Sunday Mass." - Captain Static

"Listen, you heard what I said. Do you want me to donate or not charlie. Suck it up and procreate." - Andrew

rhunt
Suspiciously French

Post by rhunt » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:15 pm

When I am out to project and push my physical limit, I'm all about sport climbing but when the weather sucks or I am out of shape I love nothing better than a weekend at Seneca. I'm still not at all fond of the trad at the Red, but that's just me :D
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist

aaron

Post by aaron » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:28 pm

trad gives a feeling of accomplishment in that i can climb rock without scarring it with bolts and nothing feels better for me than a nice fingerlock. sports cool because there is less gear and you can push the limits of difficulty without worrying about your pro. bouldering is also cool because there is way less gear and the climbss are about pure difficulty instead of fighting a pump. oh and topping out is cool in both trad and bouldering.

loren
Poser
Poser

Post by loren » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:32 pm

You are a sick fucker Yasmeen.

I am strictly a traditional climer (and not even a very good one). However, I sometimes do climb sport. I NEVER like it though. It seems like whenever I do it it is because of Yasmeen talking me into "experimenting with new things," and "just try it one more time and I bet it'll feel a lot better." I always just come away feeling dirty and used though.

tomdarch
Compendious

Post by tomdarch » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:22 pm

I guess in this context, bouldering becomes equivalent to bestiality? :lol: (mmmm.... sheep!)

I like sport for the flow and the opportunity to make a long series of moves with a minimum of gear/clipping distraction. (TRing would be the ideal for flow, but leading keeps everything a bit more interesting.) I like trad because it can get me places that aren't bolted (like most of Yosemite)

(And just to take the metaphor way, way to far, would aid be akin to 'the act that may not even be mentioned here'?)

dhoyne
Star Trek Kid

Post by dhoyne » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:26 pm

I'm both, but I'm a super newbie to leading trad (only a few under my belt).
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]

allah
Went Down On It

Post by allah » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:37 pm

Im a total Traddy, hard offwidth, dicey fingers, or the X rated face, thats all me, I love to place my nuts in tight slots.