Need info on Miguels

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Huggybone, out of curiosity...did your friend say why he thinks kids shouldn't be allowed at Miguel's?
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:20 pm

He thought that it isn't a place appropriate for kids, that you should be able to cuss without looking over your shoulder. I totally disagree.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:25 pm

In response to that...not attacking you at all...just want this made clear to anyone who may feel the same as your friend.

As a parent...when I bring my daughter to places like that...I do not expect anyone to alter their behavior b/c there is a child present. You can only control the places you take your child, not what happens when you get there.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

rockclimbingdude
Gumby
Gumby

Post by rockclimbingdude » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:52 pm

I agree with you diggum. I dont mind the cussing or the language. My daughter is old enought to know to ignore it. She has heard me say all that could possably be said. Not that Im proud of that but you know how it is when your trying to work out a problem and fall ect. She loves to climb and lives to be in the gorge. just because she is a kid doesnt mean that she shouldnt be able to enjoy it with the rest of us. :?
listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul! ~~Jerry Garcia

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:35 am

I feel differently. I've seen, first hand, the anger of a parent when I said 'hell' in front of their child. Sure, I can just blow them off in my mind, but when kids are at muigels, I watch my tongue as a curtesy.

Of course, my job requires that I not only watch my language, but use proper grammer as well.

So I'm a little uptight about it.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:37 am

Actually, Cussing just bothers me in general. I can't stand listening to people who can't speak without dropping F- bombs every other word. Its really F-ing annoying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think of it as mental laziness.

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:45 am

" Profanity: The linguistic crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers"

Or something like that.

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:04 am

Man, Alexis used to swear non-stop the instant she started leading. Two feet off the ground: G*D DA** MOTHER F******, Bi*** A***
Just like a river.

Then we saw the movie 'Duce Bigelow, Male Gigilo.' There is a a scene where Duce is on a date with a girl with turrets. She's all sweet and nice, except that she screams 'vulva licker!' at the top of her lungs at passing cars.
So, whenever she's leading and starts swearing, I scream 'vulva licker!' at the top of my lungs. She does not swear as much now. Hmmm.....

Alan Evil
BANNED

Post by Alan Evil » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:34 am

I think kids should be exposed to adults doing public adult things and older kids doing older kid public things and old people doing public old people things. The world is out there and it's better to experience lots of it growing up than being shielded from it.

Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus and he sleeps next to the bank all summer and smells like urine.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]

diggum
Star Trek Kid

Post by diggum » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:57 am

No shit? Profanity bothers you? That's fucked up.

Yes...children should be exposed to what's out there. If they don't see it with you they'll see it with their friends...or ya know...the loon that lives on the corner & wipes his ass on the steps. <ouch!>

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Should I repeat the dialog of you leading Lorax Tree, Huggy? it's forever ingrained in my brain.It even helped me get up a few offwiths.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:11 pm

I forget, what was it?
Man, now when I have trouble on a route, I'm like:

oh gee, this piece sure does not fit. Looks like a golly long fall from here. I am very small. Oh, boy, look, a handjam! Gee, I'm slipping out! oh by golly gee no! this is bad! Uh OH!

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Of couse, there is a rhythm if you get a good line of cuss words going. Like rhythmic breathing...

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:21 pm

I just growl like a bear. Always gets the blood and the adrenaline going.
I just sat on my nice belay ledge smoked a cigarette and fed out rope but I was thinkin the whole time.Do I really want to follow this thing? Then I did like a dummy. It was dark when we rapped off And we were both beat up. Good times.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

wanderer
Gumby
Gumby

Post by wanderer » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:18 pm

Just a bit more advice on the thrill that is miguels...

If you want to sleep at all, camp in the grassy area toward the front. The back tends to gather all the talkers and partiers that won't allow you a wink of sleep.

Learned this valuable piece of advice the time I went with a new guy who insisted on camping in the back. I've always stayed toward the front till then and it worked out great. Well, we had another tent setup within 5 feet of us when we got back that night and they would never shut up and it was the dumbest conversation ever. About an hour later another loud abnoxious group came in and plunked their entire 80 acres of stuff within 5 feet on the other side and spent 3 hours being as loud as possible. When morning came it was more of the same before daylight even hit.

Choice is yours and you've been warned!

Other then that, enjoy your Gorge visit, it sure is one hell of place!