Projects

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:38 am

Now I'm just Wizziizzititizziletizisisisitit-e-ite-whit-white.
For shiznikitynickle.
Are you dizikity-wiggity-niggity-bling-bling-ikitywack with thingity-niggity-kung-fu-ikkity like sprazikity-niggity-wiggity-friggity-quackplicity-disity-wriggity-ay?
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:25 am

Preach it, Brother Pigsteak! Hallelujah!!

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:46 am

Sista meadows..you are on the salvation trail to conversion, so preachin' to you is the choir. But I'll pass the hat if you want to donate to the Holy Mecca Movement of the Grand Tubesteak. ( A climbing church incorporated in the great state of delusional bliss.)

Now to all you non believers out there...repent of your immoral ways. The climbing spirits have told me that you are only uncomfortable with spray that is a) about a climb you are unaware of or b) about a climb harder than you send.

Supposed non sprayers, like the converted, love spray about a climb they want to eventually work on, or on a current project where they are trying to disect the movement. Wash in the well of belief, and all shall be forgiven.

Now bow your heads for a moment of non sectarian silence, and then we'll go out back for a , um....pork barbeque.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

TradMike
BAM!

Post by TradMike » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:48 am

Everyone has projects to some degree. You wouldn't be climbing at all if you didn't. You can spray and be humble at the same time. It's the spray with attitude that I could care less about. I enjoy hearing about others' battles with the stone be it a 5.6 or a 5.12. It would be nice to hear more about others' so called projects/spray.

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:37 am

TradMike wrote:Everyone has projects to some degree. You wouldn't be climbing at all if you didn't. You can spray and be humble at the same time. It's the spray with attitude that I could care less about. ....
There we go, 4 pages and he hit it. I admit I've been struggling with this for some time and just wanted to get a discussion rolling to help me sort out my own thoughts. These are of course, my own thoughts and I don't pretend to think my opinions will apply to anyone else's slice of the world. So, here's my take on my own problems. Feel free to skip over the next part because I'm sure none of you people care about my personal demons.

Perhaps my original complaint was focusing more on the symptoms than the actual issue. I guess what it boils down to is a lot of the climbers in the Red seem to have a big problem with ego. Climbers more than any other group I know well are plagued with an inherent superiority complex. It's a thing I battle in myself as much as I can. I'm sure this isn't the only place for it, but it's definitely very noticable in the red. There are "real" climbers, and 2nd class climbers (i.e. people that don't climb 12). I wish it were only Porkboy who says it, but I see it way too often for my comfort level around here. I kinda see the spray as more often than not a driving force in that kind of atmosphere.

It's maybe one of many different factors of a deeply personal problem for me. I've loved the Red longer than a lot of the people here and I've been trying to get excited about climbing here for months now but I just can't seem to pull it off. When I can get a tour at Rocktown or NC with people who are working problems 3 times as hard as my problems and not suffer their ego then it bugs me that it's so different here.

Of course I just don't blame the egos around here for all my issues. It's just one of many things that have been keeping me away. Although I've sent a few routes lately I don't feel good enough to climb anywhere near as hard as I used to and don't push myself like I should. So mostly I know it's my own fault but I just can't seem to put the effort into fixing it. Way back in the day I was a very goal oriented climber and hung with kids that were the same and climbing got cheapened by it. So I promised myself to never let that happen again.

So, my point is I just want to have fun and projects seem to make it hard for me to do that. That's just my style, I don't pretend to think it will work for anyone else so you people do whatever you need to do to be happy. Just please don't think you're any more legitimate a climber based on the grade of routes you do.

On that note, I'm off to NC this afternoon! :D

Sunshine
Steppenwolf

Post by Sunshine » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:46 pm

Forget the Prince of Darkness, I will climb for Charlie's ego from now on. Please join me.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:01 pm

charlie, One thing that Stephanie Forte once said when people pushed her to learn trad is, "I decided instead being a well-rounded climber, I decided I'd rather be a well-rounded person." In other words, do what makes you happy. There are people here in my office that will stay until 9-11pm at night . They want to succeed and pop their way up the corporate ladder and I don't get it. They thrive on that and that makes them happy. Same goes for number pushers.
If you don't feel like climbing in the Red or even on a rope, that's okay. Make yourself and others happy by not doing it.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:12 pm

can we take up a donation for our beloved brother charlie...

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:15 pm

Good idea, Pig. Afterall, he's a closet supporter of Holy Mecca Movement of the Grand Tubesteak.

PS Can we change the name to something less machismo?

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the concern y'all. It helps to know you care.
Meadows wrote:... Make yourself and others happy by not doing it.
OK Steph, do you mean to imply that me not climbing in the Red is making other people happy? If so then I think I may just start hangin out again just out of spite! :twisted:

Mazz
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Mazz » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:31 pm

Charlie,

I'd absolutely hate it if you started climbing the Red. Don't do it. Don't. We don't need you.
www.lightontheland.com

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:42 pm

hey, start your own climbing cult if you want to change the moniker. Tubesteak stands...sayeth the grand spiritual guru...

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:20 pm

Mazz wrote:Charlie,

I'd absolutely hate it if you started climbing the Red. Don't do it. Don't. We don't need you.
Heh! I guess you'd have to get down there to know though huh?

Mazz
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Mazz » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:26 pm

Ouch.

That should all change now that I've finished up my new website. Just in time for the bugs and aggrosheen.
www.lightontheland.com

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:23 pm

mazz, awesome photography..kudos to you!!!