Projects

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:31 pm

Mazz wrote:Ouch.

That should all change now that I've finished up my new website. Just in time for the bugs and aggrosheen.
Yeah, since you've been like, employed and shit it's been cramping your style huh? Never fear though, you'll continue to endure my presence for years to come.

Mazz
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Mazz » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:31 pm

Thank you pigsteak. I hope to change some of them out for others as time permits. Maybe in the dead of summer...

Charlie, I see my reverse puhsighcollowgee worked on you. Excellent.
www.lightontheland.com

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:18 pm

new pigsteak corollary...

if it ain't 5.12 sport or 5.11 trad, don't even think about spraying about your "awesome" send. the climbing gods only bow down to those who push the envelope, and that starts at these grades. instead of spraying at these lower grades, please use phrases like "I had a good time","the vibes were awesome", "the people I hung with that day were so kewl", "it was soooo much fuuuun", "the movement was really sa-weet"...etc, etc.

that way, no one will confuse you for a real climber, because even gumbys know that only high end spray is irritating or relevant. at the lower end, people resort to all those other equally annoying terms....but at least it ain't spray.

and if you do climb at the high end, make sure to only throw route names around...never the actual grade..unless someone in your fan club is actually stupid enough to ask you how hard it is..then, with as much deference as possible, hem and haw about how you are unsure of the grade, but that it is at least 5.heinous because of that mad gaston crossover move (at this time pantomine above your head for effect)...this should keep em silent for a few more minutes while you continue your subtle spray....to end it all, be cute to little Mark Ventura or someone's lap dog, to let the fan club know you do have a soul and are human...children and dogs are always a nice finishing touch to a spray session.

now go enjoy your weekend...
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

alien2
Poser
Poser

Post by alien2 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Would the gods bow down to a 5.9+R or 5.10R ?
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

~ Napoleon Dynamite

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:38 pm

I guess like a lot of things in life, it depends on your perspective on spray. If it strikes you as "Here's my penis. Look at it's magnificance," then that would really bother a lot of people. As for me personally, spraying keeps things in perspective for me. I used to think that someone who climbed 5.12 was truly hardcore and 5.13 was for pros and Greek gods only. Now 5.12 doesn't seem like such an unreal goal and the grades after that aren't quite as scary. I don't usually project a route, but there are some that I get on every time I walk by to see if they'll go. If so, great. If not, they'll be there next time. Do what makes you happy, but try to keep your spray at a mild level so we don't scare away the next generation of climbers.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Man, isn't it funny how you can totally tell that piggie isn't even remotely kidding?
Usually sarcasm is easy to discern on a BBS.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:56 pm

huggy,

this is serious stuff here. spray is all over the red, and we gotta have rulz brah...or at least tips for the inspiring wannabes...

and if you didn't think that synopsis of the weekend mating ritual/chest thumping happening at Miguel's all the time was funny, then you haven't been paying attention my man. sit down with a slice of that pasta/corn/veggie delight pie on any saturday night, and enjoy the show.

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:11 pm

"brah" is so démodé, just like your parachute pants.

Go ahead, Pig, strip down to your skivvies and run through the Miguel's parking lot screaming "last year I sent a .13! somebody please think I'm cool!"

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:44 am

I love that Mr. Anything-Less-Than-A-.12-Isn't-Climbing not only has .11s on his list, but a lowly .7 as well. No .13s.

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:12 am

the 11's were warm up's....duh. and the seven was barefoot with goldline in -10 degrees January at midnight...in those conditions, the .7 is also considered an .11...

I'm surpised you didn't know that rule marathon.

now, about my parachute pants....

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:40 pm

Does that mean I can spray about my pushups and stretching routines that I use to warm-up? Hmm. How would one spray warm-up falls?

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:06 pm

absolutely..if you can get enough admiring eyes to oogle your lats while doing push ups, I'd say that is spray material. Plus, sore lats are a great excuse to beg for a back massage...spray warm up falls? that is super easy..you are working on your mental game by taking planned whippers. or you are testing out a new belayer...
Last edited by pigsteak on Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:09 pm

But these same things don't count on anything under an .11?

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter

Post by pigsteak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 pm

you'd need to define "count"....the piglet corollaries have been bastardized by frenchmen blowing chalk off their finger tips. somewhere along the line, pigsteak was accused of saying only 12's "count"....so in the interest of thread banter, I ran with it....
my original contention was that a 3rd grader playing tee ball is not in the same league with a major leaguer. we may call the little tyke a baseball player, but everyone knows that "real" ball players are those making the bucks...we humor the boy so as not to hurt his undeveloped ego. if someone were to infer that he really isn't a baseball player, he would whine and bawl, and ask mommy to make those mean people quit saying such things (sounds alot like things around here)...now, if the tyke stays with the sport, and develops adequate skills, he may some day become a true baseball player...or, he may end up in slowpitch church leagues or swilling brews with his buds and complaining how Sosa is a major bum...in those cases, he will harken his glory days instead of getting his furniture diseased (chest falling into his drawers) body out the door for some exertion.

here is where the chuffers on here decided to derail the theory. all is well and dandy if one chooses to participate in climbing as a recreational past time. but that does not make one a rock climber. I climbed Mt. Rainier once, but that does not make me a mountaineer now, does it? does ONLY pulling plastic make one a rock climber? not in my strict book...it makes you a gym rat.

I play tennis once a year with my niece, but not for a second do I call myself a tennis player...that merely was all the original corollary was about....when the whiners came out, I upped the standard to 5.12, just to see how self absorbed people really were. "how dare piggie say I am not a climber. that porkchop is jerky!" fine folks...call yourself whatever you want...my point was this...why in the world would you care what someone else calls your favorite pasttime? I would not have received scores of irritable PM's and posts shouting "off with his head" if you were truly comfortable with where you were at with your climbing...you would have laughed it off, or totally ignored it.

I am now finished with my psychological study. Hope we all had fun.

merrick
Cover Boy

Post by merrick » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 pm

i think piggy has an interesting point. i think ego comes into play alot more than people admit it does. I know it does for me. i also find that it can keep me from trying things i would normally try due to the fear of failure just becuase of who i am around. it can totally mess up my climbing. i definately climb best around people who know me or where i could care less what people think. ego rarely helps me send. nor does competition. though they definately motivate some.

however, i think spray can both be freeing in regards to ego. sometimes when you spray and you are like there it is, that is how hard i can climb, it frees you. it limits you when you don't spray for the wrong reasons, such as hoping that people will assume you are better than you are. spaying can also motivate you to try harder. sometimes sharma like disattachment works, sometimes twight like self hate helps. it depends on what currently motivates you.

but, of course, i find that i don't judge others by how hard they climb. i might use that knowledge to determine if i think they know what they are talking about but i don't think less or more of them for how hard they climb. of course at the extreme ends, pros and noobs, i guess i do judge.

mostly i find i admire people who are out there enjoying themselves and trying hard. if they are toproping 5.8 and it is at their limit and they are scared of falling on TR and they are going one hundred percent, i think that is so rad. i wish i was trying that hard on my projects. if it is someone projecting a 5.12 and they are whipping again and again i think that is so rad. i wish i had that much determination.

the coolest problem i have ever seen sent was this v2 in bishop by this japanese girl. her boyfriend was projecting a 'hard' problem next to it with me and she was trying just as hard on the v2. she came back with us day after day and while we worked our project she worked hers. she finnally got and the look on her face was so awesome. to see her try so hard and give her everything was so inspiring, it got me psyched and I sent my project that day.
Back from the Dead!