Projects

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:21 pm

Yeah, you're all just defending yourself and justifying your laziness. Go ahead, the REAL climbers are still having fun and could care less about your spite.

Disclaimer: I am not a REAL climber, but am showing discipline to hopefully be one. That would include (cough, cough Charlie) actually going to a crag.

JB
Maynard G. Krebs

Post by JB » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:08 pm

i have no spite... i think spray is what it is. some people live for it and some don't. neither is wrong. it's cool that climbing accomodates (or tries to) so many personality types these days. do what you do to be enjoy the experience. define yourself by who you are and not what you've done.

that said, i want to climb some new routes. anything i haven't been on will suffice... that means overhanging pockets i guess. so be it.
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm

nobody makes you clip bolts or read spray.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:32 pm

JB wrote:
pawilkes wrote:the spray list has other uses than just spraying. i like to just keep track of what i do so that i can actually remember it and also so that i can justify (or not) getting on something harder because i have enough base of climbs belwo that grade.
you could just write it all down instead of making it public.
I have all my routes ticked off in my guidebooks for that purpose exactly.
JB wrote:
i think that is a great idea, its nice to be able to look at any notes you may have about a given climb when you're at the crag and thinking of doing it again, HOWEVER there i don't have a guidebook for the red and even if i had one it would be so out of date that half the climbs wouldn't be in it.

marathonmedic
Invalid Session

Post by marathonmedic » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Besides, the spray feature lets you contact people who have done the route if you have questions finding it or need beta.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.

charlie
BANNED

Post by charlie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Meadows wrote:......Disclaimer: I am not a REAL climber, but am showing discipline to hopefully be one. That would include (cough, cough Charlie) actually going to a crag.
Not sure I understand that. The places where I climb don't count I guess?

Andrew
Happy Tee Hee

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:03 pm

I like when my friends spray. It makes me happy when one of my friends is really happy about sending some route, or even getting on something that they never thought they would. But, some types of spray is really annoying.
Living the dream

JB
Maynard G. Krebs

Post by JB » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:07 pm

i just think it's fun (stupid) to spray about not spraying!!!
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]

Meadows
Puppy Pimp

Post by Meadows » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:11 pm

It's all good as long as no one is bitter.

meetVA
Cracks like an Egg

Post by meetVA » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:15 pm

charlie wrote:The places where I climb don't count I guess?
shhhhh!!!! charlie! lay low friend.

don't give away our secret areas. we've got them to ourselves and a select group of highly qualified trained entertainers and we don't need a bunch of gumbys coming around and asking for a spot.
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips

alien2
Poser
Poser

Post by alien2 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:01 pm

My super secret project is going to be sent Saturday.
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

~ Napoleon Dynamite

Wes
Believer

Post by Wes » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:21 pm

It is so PC these days for climbers to be all modest and stuff. The Sharma syndrom or something. I like having project and tick lists. I check other peoples lists when they post something about climbing. Their list tells me something about thier skill level. Not just grades, but other stuff as well. If they have ticked some hard, scary trad routes, I am more likly to listen to what they have to say about pro. If they have done a couple easy sport routes on TR, I am less likly to give what they say much weight.

Don't fear the spray. But, don't get wrapped up in goals. Process based is the way to be. Don't get too pissed when you fail, or to happy when you send. Embrase the struggle.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

pigsteak
The Crocodile Hunter
The Crocodile Hunter
Location: Like Prince my name has now changed..please call me Piglovely.

Post by pigsteak » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:22 pm

the bitter don't spray because they can't spray. if this offends you, then I'm talking to YOU. get over it.

I love the hypocrisy of "having fun" and "hanging with all my non spraying cool friends" BS, and then to turn around to deride those who have chosen to enjoy the sport in a different light. I thought climbing was all about taking from it what you could...

being a non spraying doper is just another "cool" identity in the vast pool of climbers. if it weren't, you wouldn't feel the need to come on here and lash out. you'd be enjoying the rock on your terms, and allow others to do the same. leave the anger and spite to pigsteak. you take this whole "game" of climbing much too serious.

let me guess...you would be the person to enter a comp, but not turn in your scorecard, just to make your point...um, how about not going to the comp in the first place? or worse, you WOULD turn in your scorecard, SPRAYING your sends all over the internet....damn, can't win, can you....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.

meetVA
Cracks like an Egg

Post by meetVA » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:42 pm

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips

ynot
Trad Grandaddy

Post by ynot » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:45 pm

I heard the same thing that Charlie Brown hears from adults.
mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney