I am now a member

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 pm

I like Arts stick clip story from our first time climbing together, but I won't tell!

bcombs
Generic Jerry

Post by bcombs » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Jeff wrote:I like Arts stick clip story from our first time climbing together, but I won't tell!
Ha ha, Art must be full of stories. :)

One of the first trips I went on with Art and Bram we went out to the Stadium. It was the end of the day and we decided on Areterection. We didn't have a stick clip and you really need one on that route. The ground slopes away from the base at a fairly steep angle so falling before clipping the first would be a 15 foot fall to a dirt ramp. Art sacks up and off he goes. I'm on belay, Bram is standing behind me.

Art gets up near the first, but the climbing stance is funky and he starts to sketch out a bit. After some squirming around he has a clipping stance and goes to take a draw off his harness. Just them his foot pops. He stayed on, but now he is super sketched and mumbling about the lack of feet and how bad the fall would be.

Just then Bram yells from behind me...

Oh dear God, Art....please don't die out here!!!

I starting cracking up, Art did too. Somehow though he regains composure and gets the clip in. Remember that, Art? :lol:

Jeff
Be nice to me. I won.
Be nice to me.  I won.

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Art must have a lot of stories, but I don't think he remembers many of them!

caribe
Archer Jerry

Post by caribe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:17 pm

bcombs wrote:I starting cracking up, Art did too. Somehow though he regains composure and gets the clip in. Remember that, Art? :lol:
I remember almost filling my pants! It was either drizzling that day or had rained the day before. That area is generally damp. I was on the edge.

Huggybone
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Post by Huggybone » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:28 pm

The irony of it is we a headed to fortress this weekend due to the rain. Maybe I can practice stick clipping cams.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

ditzywonder
Squeaky Climber

Post by ditzywonder » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 pm

they are great for placing sketchy first nuts :D
black diamonds are a girls best friend

rdo'c
Gumby
Gumby

Post by rdo'c » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am

Huggybone wrote:16 feet long. 4 sections. it will eventually have a squid on the end.
That sounds like a waste of a 16 ft pole. Get a superclip.

pawilkes
Sandy's Whipping Boy

Post by pawilkes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:49 am

as a squid owning person, i second rdo'c
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.

THB
Official Nerd Notes Expert
Official Nerd Notes Expert

Post by THB » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 am

toad857 wrote:safety doesn't have to be compromised by not having a stick clip at a crag. usually there are sticks a-plenty laying around. you can still do anything a stick clip can do, except remove draws from bolts (arguably the least useful function of a stick clip).

(p.s. people please stop using tape on sticks: consider investing in a god damn rubber band you littering sons of bitches)
people bringing their own stick clips aren't the ones littering tape at the crags (unless it's from taping fingers)... and, if you are a skilled enough stick-clipper, then you don't need to use any tape, any rubberband, or anything like that... you can just use a stick, that's it!

Rollo
Lame Wade
Lame Wade

Post by Rollo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:58 am

stick clips should be made of sticks. look at this douche for example... not only did he make a very ineffective device out of EMT conduit... he also can make a necklace out of rope!
Way to go McGuyver!!!
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.

Der Revir
Gumby
Gumby

Post by Der Revir » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I just use sticks and more sticks and ropes i think its cool people make their own stick clips but how modernized is the sport gonna be will there be any things sacred about climbing using big metal poles just use sticks man and instead of take to hold the quickdraw open just stick a stick in it man
we are all mirrors reflecting each others light